Seeking DS but blood sugars are out of control

Deluzy
on 3/14/05 5:29 am - CA
Hi - I'm in the early stages of dealing with my medical group and getting them to refer me out of network to my surgeon of choice; my insurance doesn't preclude DS, but my medical group doesn't contain a surgeon that does DS ... anyway, if necessary, I'll change medical groups. Today my PCP is referring me to an endocrinologist because my blood sugars, even on oral meds, are running out of control (high 200s and into the 300s). I'm a Type II diabetic and I have a feeling that years of oral meds have exhausted my pancreas to the extent that I may need to go on insulin ... but of course, I'm not a doctor and what do I know? That's why I'll be going to an endocrinologist. Does anyone know how long surgeons like diabetics to have had their blood sugars under control by the time they schedule surgery? I'm thinking around 3 months (i.e., the length of time reflected by an hba1c test), but of course I don't know. Since I'm in the early stages of even getting referred, I'm hoping my blood sugars will have stabilized by the time I'm approved and scheduled. My diabetes, along with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, is the reason I'm seeking the DS surgery in the first place! Thanks, all. Alison
PattyL
on 3/16/05 7:55 pm
Hi Alison--My husband had the DS to get rid of his DMII. He wasn't even heavy. He has now been free of diabetes for more than a year! Hypercholesterolemia goes hand in hand with DMII and all those problems disappear too. I think his cholesterol is 130 now! Since he didn't need to lose weight; he never had any eating restrictions. The DS has been done in Europe for 10 years now for DMII. The results are immediate so it has nothing to do with weight loss or exercise. You can do a lot to get your blood sugar under control and see what life will be like as a DS postie at the same time. 1) exercise 1 hr/day at least 5 days/week 2) eliminate sugar/carbs from your diet 3) eat at least 80gr protein/day 4) drink at least 64oz calorie free liquids/day. You should never drink anything with calories. It will take a few weeks before your A1c changes. You will be surprised!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 160 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 489 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 831 views