Vitamin Question

Amy_Kleve
on 3/23/11 3:08 am - Adrian, MN
My first appointment for my revision surgery from lap band to DS is coming up on April 6th. The nurse was telling me how the DS is different from the lap band.

She mentioned DS patients need to take vitamins for the rest of their lives, witch I was aware of. What I wasn't aware of was that they are $50 a month! Is that true????????????

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

clpeltz
on 3/23/11 3:26 am
Yes, and it is a non negotiable subject.  I know that it sounds like a lot of money, but it is for your health.  You'll make it work! 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

bookfaerie
on 3/23/11 3:33 am
 I spend more like 80.
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
Elizabeth N.
on 3/23/11 3:36 am - Burlington County, NJ

Yes, that's close to my average. I might come in a few dollars lower, but not much.

You'll have to take quite a lot of supplements if you have the RNY, too, though. (Although lots of RNYers are living in denial about this.)

cajungirl
on 3/23/11 6:40 am
<------ Not this one.  I take a buttload of vitamins including A, E and D in dry form.  I spend about $50 a month too.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

vitalady
on 3/23/11 10:47 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Sigh. you do a mama proud.

I am seeing you in Houston, yes?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

beemerbeeper
on 3/23/11 4:04 am - AL
It isn't just vitamins.  It is protein supplements and protein from food.  My grocery bill has tripled.  Good food costs a whole lot more than crap.

Non negotiable.  You must be able to afford vites, labs, protein supplements, protein in food or the DS is not for you.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 4:32 am
Hi,
What you need to do, is get on line and research the best places to get the vitamins you need. Which place gives you the best price.
Vitamin dry A-25     from vitalady, it's the best place
Vitamin dry D-50     from vitalady, it's the best place
Vitamin dry E                ?
Vitamin B complex       ?
Multi-Vitamin                 ?
magnesium citrate       ?
calcium citrate              ?
copper, zinc, biotin, boron, vitamin K, potassium maybe, iron.

Most of them are needed, you have to take what you need according to your lab results.
Just be sure you are able and willing to do this. If and when you get the DS these are things you can not do without, they are necessary in order to live a healthy life.
keep asking questions here, it's just about the best place to get honest and reliable answers.
Good Luck
Julie R.
on 3/23/11 4:58 am - Ludington, MI
 Yeah, mine's about 60 a month, and I take a lot, but shop carefully.
Also, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Beemerbeeper about grocery costs (sorry Beck, you know I love ya!) but my grocery bill is no higher.   Junk food, stops at the donut shop and picking up crap from the gas station really added up.   I just don't do that as much anymore (although I do have my moments!).    I stock up on the specials.  If whole hams are on sale, I buy four and put them in the freezer - whole chickens, the same, etc.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 5:29 am
I kind of agree, that's pretty much how it's been for me too. I suppose it depends on how you ate before surgery. I've always have bought in bulk, the difference is, I don't eat in bulk anymore. lol
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 433 views