It's endo time!!!!

JazzyOne9254
on 5/9/13 12:01 pm

While some may be ROFL  at my this post, as I said in another, I am very, very afraid.

My PCP today referred me to an endocrinologist, to try to get to the bottom of my bad labs.

She said she would not even think about recommending revision at this stage of the game, however, when I meet the endo next week, he/she will probably sing that tune, If he/she even knows what a DS is.

I will go armed to the teeth with information, as I always do, and hope that there's no offense taken.  If there is, I will try to get hooked up with an endo near my surgeon. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

airbender
on 5/9/13 12:28 pm

well good luck with an endo....I have no use for them....the last one was yesterday, geesh he was #4, talk about a pompas ignorant fool..... "how do you know you have malabsorption"  you take 50,000 IU of vit D A DAY?  i thought your vitamins were a week, not a day.. how could you do that to yourself, you are going to die very young......LOL, ROFLMAO i was looking at him like he was sooo nuts, I have to say that was the first time i seriously  was going to leave the appt.  and he wanted to schedule a 2 week follow up-like NO WAY....

JazzyOne9254
on 5/9/13 11:21 pm, edited 5/10/13 1:26 am

airbender-

My feelings exactly!  It's going to be a waste of time and money, and I don't know what else to do to get the infusions that I know I need!

My PCP has usually been very cooperative with me up until now, because she knows that I know what I'm talking about.

I know that if I'm not infused soon, I'm going to be very sick very soon, and I could die waiting for these fools to tell me what I already know!

And to top it off, the fools ran my vitamin K as APTT, which if I'm not mistaken, is a qualitative lab, not quantitative!

airbender
on 5/10/13 6:26 am

As a DSer we really need Vit K ordered.  PTT has nothing to do with Vit K, it is PT, they probably ran a PT/PTT as they are commonly performed together.

PT is insensitive to Vit K deficiency it can predict an imminent bleeding tendency, but it is not useful for diagnosis of subclinical deficiency.  Vit K is a direct assay, an indirect assay and less senstiive is PT.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/10/13 1:31 am

Talked to my surgeon's nurse this morning.  She sys the labs are running APTT for Vitamin K now.

PCP did not order infusions, so I guess I'll have to wait until mu surgeon visit Monday.

I don't know how my doctors got so stupid so quickly.  All of them used to be great.  Probably has something to do with Obamacare.

airbender
on 5/10/13 6:31 am

umm see my other note....PTT will not show a deficiency in Vit K, that would be PT, and you can virtually have a zero vit K and your PT is just borderline abnormal......you need a Vita K  ordered.....and definitely not a PTT.....

JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/13 8:35 am

I know that...that's what I've been screaming to my doctor!  It's falling on deaf ears!

TaliTali
on 5/10/13 5:30 am - Sammamish, WA

I have a list of labs from my surgeon and I usually go directly to a blood draw lab, like Quest. They will confirm the order with the surgeon but will draw whatever I want without questions. I can then have a copy sent to my surgeon and my PCP.

It ends the fight of getting them to do what I want and I can then tell my PCP where *I* want to be. I also use my surgeon as a scapegoat, "well he wants me on this" because it's unlikely they'll call him but I also know he'd back me up on it too.

I've *never* had the problems that others have had but it's because I go in to my meetings with documents, diagrams, and a firm idea of what I need. I will challenge the PCP and demand what I want. It may be rude and confrontational but it's my health. I will always say to them, "I know you are the Dr. and you are the expert but I am the expert on me. I'm very familiar with how I work, what works for me, and how I feel when I do x, y, and z. If you look at my labs and what I take you can see how I'm able to keep those levels. Clearly I'm doing something right." 

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/13 8:16 am

I go armed to the teeth, too, with a big binder of every blessed lab I've had from my first at six months out.  I have diagrams, handouts, the whole nine yards. I am not stupid about my surgery, and what I need to do. 

Unfortunately, we don't have independent walk-in labs,  Our local labs are under the aegis of the local Medical Foundation, and they sendmost of the labs Ihave drawn to Quest in Salt Lake City, only a few are processed locally. 

You have to have a doctor's order to get labs drawn here, and have them covered by insurance..

TaliTali
on 5/12/13 11:48 am - Sammamish, WA

I find that interesting about the labs. I've taken my surgeons orders and gone into labs in three states and never had a problem. I've never had to pay for the labs either, it's always covered under insurance. 

And I'm sorry if it seemed I was implying you didn't know your surgery or health issues. I was just indicating what I do and have had good success with. 

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1214 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 504 views