First Fissure!!!!!

JazzyOne9254
on 5/23/13 8:57 am

Now I know what a fissure is!   

I hope this heals quickly, because potty time is no joke!

YOWWWWWWW!!!!!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Irishnurse
on 5/23/13 10:19 am
DS on 04/17/13

Awwww. I hope it heals quickly for  you.

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

JazzyOne9254
on 5/24/13 7:55 am

Thanks, Irishnurse. 

I actually thought I was home free since I'm so far out.  I thought this was something newbies got more frequently than we long-termers.

jashley
on 5/23/13 11:27 am
DS on 12/19/12

I used to take that end for granted till I got a fissure.  Wicked. 

And there is nothing you can do except cry when it feels like you are passing shards of glass.  Lots of pain meds, soft foods, and wet wipes.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/24/13 7:37 am

Got all that stuff on board.  Pain meds made me sleep all day today.  Going to get more bananas shortly.

woodkd
on 5/23/13 2:09 pm
DS on 06/19/13
That sounds awful!
DivaJojo
on 5/24/13 2:37 am - Atlanta, GA

I feel you dearie.  Mine was not quite two years ago, but the memory is VERRRRRRRRRRY strong.  Just go into full treatment mode immediately, if you haven't already done so.  In short . . .

1.  Stool softening - I prefer Miralax to the other stuff - morning and nightly.

2.  Lots of water and fiber daily.

3.  Avoid highly acidic and hard foods (like tomato/sauces/popcorn/peanuts.  Also stay away from raw vegetables as it can be very harsh coming out - you may not have noticed it before, but will definitely since the area is injured.  Stick to soft, cooked vegetables.

4.  Wet wipes only - I recommend the Pampers sensitive, they are not flushable, but have no dyes and perfumes.

5.  Soaks 20-45 minutes at least 2-3 times daily. 

6.  Apply vaseline before a movement to help reduce painful contamination from the waste, which will cause more pain and spasms.

7.  Soak immediately after your movement, it really helps sooth.  Make water as hot as you can comfortably stand to encourage bloodflow and promote healing.

I do not recommend sitz baths as this puts additional strain and pulling on the area.  I recommend soaking in the tub on your side with that area open to heat and water flow.  I added witch hazel to the bath for extra soothing.  I still use the wetwipes because I don't feel quite as clean without them.  The blood flow is essential for healing.  See a colorectal doc and get a script for the nitro compound ointment.  It helps relax that muscle to allow blood flow.  If you need something else for pain, you can request lidocaine ointment or you can get a good strong benzocaine over the counter as "Boilease."  If it's going to heal on it's own, these measures will do it. 

Realize, though, that sometimes they don't heal on their own and if, after a few weeks you can tell it's not healing, be open to getting LIS.  It's an outpatient procedure and was very easy for me.  In the interest of full discloser, I suffered for 4 months trying to heal mine and unfortunately, mine was so bad, it simply couldn't heal on it's own.  While these steps didn't heal me, they helped before surgery and made my recovery and healing after surgery more successful - as I didn't have the instances of "re-tears" that so many others have during healing.  Hopefully making these measures a part of my daily routine for life (I still do the soak after my morning movement - it's become a relaxing habit - and I'll also do it at the end of the day if something I ate has irritated my rear, still use the wipes, miralax (smaller dose) and fiber/water) will ensure that I NEVER EXPERIENCE A FISSURE AGAIN BEFORE I DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One important thing is, DO NOT GET IMPATIENT. Don't get complacent when it seems to be healing.  Healing is tricky and you have to be diligent and stick with the treatment I'd say for a minimum of 3-6 months before considering backing off.  If it heals, initial surface healing can happen quickly, but it can re-tear very quickly and easily early on and full healing - even after LIS - takes months to up to 2 years.  I got a lot of help, encouragement, information and support from the "Anal Fissure Forum."  They discuss everything.  You'd be amazed how common it is and these people are normies.  There's even a post area for surgery and you can read the experiences there before, during and after . . . I posted my experiences there to benefit anyone who may come after me.  I hope this information helps and I hope you are able to heal completely.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

JazzyOne9254
on 5/24/13 7:44 am

Thank you Diva Jojo! 

Some healing seems to be happening right now, but it's good to know that healing is very tricky, and especially since we DSer's tend to go to potty a bit more often than others.

I hear you on the wet wipes - I've used them regularly since I was immediately post-op.

Pain meds made me sleep all day today.  I'm going to get outside for a bit before this beautiful day turns into night.

Thanks again for your advice!

airbender
on 5/24/13 7:37 am

oh yes, oh my gosh, i have had 2 in 13 months, the worse is over for my 2nd one.  what i can tell you is the RX rectiv is a godsend.  it takes a few days but that 2xs a day and warm soaks oh my go**** really feels like what i think barbed wire would.  the first one was sooo bad this one i got it dropped ;my h/h signifcantly.  try the RX it really works well, i know what a pain the ass it is...sorry i had to throw that in there......

JazzyOne9254
on 5/24/13 7:47 am

It sure is, airbender!   I think I asked you before, but your screen name suggests that you work in radio.  Do you?  I used to, and that was a running office name we all used, as in "What's up airbender?"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 432 views