Seeking Advice For My Wife: Weight And Other Health Issues

disciple1211
on 1/24/22 5:06 pm

Hi. First, I understand that message boards like this aren't meant to replace consulting with a medical professional. I'm really just wanting information and advice from others who may be or who may have been in my situation.
When I first met my wife she was over 500 pounds, possibly much more, and while there were health issues she was actually quite mobile, able to walk, drive and could perform typical daily living activities. She went through gastric bypass in 2005, lost a good deal of weight and prior to Covid was less than 300 pounds. Over time she gained some weight back, some of which was partially due to poor eating choices but now there are several medical issues coming at her all at once and I'm honestly feeling scared and overwhelmed and I barely know where to start.
First, she now has severe pain in her hips and in her back and mobility is more challenging for her. It is so bad that I often need to help her into bed by lifting one of her legs and pulling on her hand to help her out of bed. If she lays in one position for a while her body stiffens up and then moving causes her pain. Getting up and moving around eventually reduces the pain but walking too much can cause pain in her ankles. To add to this there was fluid buildup in her legs. Diuretics helped with this but they would sometimes cause incredibly painful leg cramps. The latest issue is that her breathing seems labor. I convinced her to go to the ER and a chest XRay showed a possible diaphragmatic rupture in one of her lungs which, as it turns out, is caused by a pinched nerve which, if I correctly am remembering what the doctor said, may have caused a partial collapse in that lung. She is now on 4 liters of oxygen which does give her some relief but I can't believe there is nothing that can be done to correct this to give her some additional relief for getting a deep breath. She is around 400 pounds. She is seeing doctors and is going to be seeing a pulmonologist but I'm just wondering if anyone reading this has experienced this or has been supporting someone with similar issues and what else can be pursued to assist her. Many thanks. Hi. First, I understand that message boards like this aren't meant to replace consulting with a medical professional. I'm really just wanting information and advice from others who may be or who may have been in my situation.
When I first met my wife she was over 500 pounds, possibly much more, and while there were health issues she was actually quite mobile, able to walk, drive and could perform typical daily living activities. She went through gastric bypass in 2005, lost a good deal of weight and prior to Covid was less than 300 pounds. Over time she gained some weight back, some of which was partially due to poor eating choices but now there are several medical issues coming at her all at once and I'm honestly feeling scared and overwhelmed and I barely know where to start.
First, she now has severe pain in her hips and in her back and mobility is more challenging for her. It is so bad that I often need to help her into bed by lifting one of her legs and pulling on her hand to help her out of bed. If she lays in one position for a while her body stiffens up and then moving causes her pain. Getting up and moving around eventually reduces the pain but walking too much can cause pain in her ankles. To add to this there was fluid buildup in her legs. Diuretics helped with this but they would sometimes cause incredibly painful leg cramps. The latest issue is that her breathing seems labor. I convinced her to go to the ER and a chest XRay showed a possible diaphragmatic rupture in one of her lungs which, as it turns out, is caused by a pinched nerve which, if I correctly am remembering what the doctor said, may have caused a partial collapse in that lung. She is now on 4 liters of oxygen which does give her some relief but I can't believe there is nothing that can be done to correct this to give her some additional relief for getting a deep breath. She is around 400 pounds. She is seeing doctors and is going to be seeing a pulmonologist but I'm just wondering if anyone reading this has experienced this or has been supporting someone with similar issues and what else can be pursued to assist her. Many thanks.

Most Active