new jersey, the couch, and my dog.

redjersey123
on 2/8/13 11:06 am - jackson, NJ

Hi all :)

I come here looking for fellow minds who endure living in a flesh casing that has made them miserable. I'd love to talk about what steps you've taken to get to where you are, if you're just starting out like me, (although I went this route in the past only to chicken out at the last minute thinking I can do this on my own!) Wrong.

I live in New Jersey and have Horizon NJ Health insurance. I am in the process of meeting doctors who accept this plan, but if you have one to refer I am all ears. I'm scared to death to go under the knife for something I should be able to get ahold of on my own, but alas, I wouldn't be here if I could. 

Talking about this with people who have gone through it seems to help my troubled thoughts. So come tell me yours.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Regards,

Donna

lmg997
on 3/10/13 3:09 pm - NJ

Hi Donna.  My name is Laura and we're almost neighbors.  I live in Toms River.  I had my gastric bypass surgery in October of 2011 (almost a year and a half ago).  I've lost 120 pounds so far, and to be honest, it is the best decision I have ever made in my life.  I never thought I would be the type of person to love going to the gym, or go hiking for the fun of it.  This past summer, I even bought a kayak and went out paddling every chance I could.  Even yesterday, since we had beautiful weather, I went for a 3.5 mile jog!  If you asked me a year and a half ago if I ever thought I would be doing stuff like this (and actually enjoy it), I would have laughed in  your face.  LOL. 

I had/have Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  Although my doctor is out of network, they will work with you.  I cannot say high enough praises about my doctor.  He was, and still is, absolutely wonderful.  He has a great personality, great bedside manner, and most importantly, an excellent surgeon.  Of course I can't say that you would experience the same as I did, but I had no pain after my surgery.  Actually, at the hospital, when they offered me pain meds, I turned them down and asked for some Tylenol (I just had a headache).  I still see him every several months to make sure I stay on track.  Although I hit a few rough times (plateaus), he was always very understanding, but yet very encouraging and got me back on track immediately. 

Check him out.  He's on this website too.  His name is Basil Yurcisin. (website:  www.gsbwc.com).  Although their main office is up in Millburn, he has an office in Bayville (soon to be moving to Toms River).  I had to go up to Livingston to have my surgery, but Dr. Yurcisin and his partner are working with Community Medical Center  and hope to be doing surgeries down here too.  Even though it was a pretty good hike to go up there for my surgery, I would definitely do it again just to have Dr. Y! 

Best advice I can give you, or anyone else considering bariatric surgery....just remember it is a TOOL.  It's not a miracle cure to a lifetime of overeating.  You have to realize that you MUST conquer your demons early in the process.  If you don't, they will come back and haunt you! 

Best of luck! 

Laura

Ps....Dr. Y holds informative seminars at Kimbal Medical Center in Lakewood once a month.  Dates should be on their website.  I strongly suggest that you go there, meet him, see what he has to say and form your own opinion.  He'd probably answer a couple of your insurance coverage questions while you're there too. 

redjersey123
on 3/11/13 6:37 am - jackson, NJ

Hi Laura :)

What a nice surprise to have a letter from a neighbor that I can talk to about this! And OMG your weight loss is fantastic !

Ironically, mom and I will be looking to move to Toms River as soon as we sell here in Jackson; and I had lived in TR while I was married (now divorced)  so I am familiar with the area. 

Im so glad you have positive things to say about the surgery. I  know I have demons to conquer but I haven't found the source to do so. Im hoping with some outer confidence I shall be able to shed them and be kinder to myself.  Also, talking with others who've experienced living under the security blanket of food might prove more helpful than someone who learned from a book. I've gone that route, many many times. I think at  this point it is up to me to sh*t or get off the pot, if you will. Anyhoo..

I believe at this point, I have chosen my surgeon. (although I will surely give yours a look-see!)  he is quite a hike, (Moorestown) but he was very confident, and has recent and rave reviews.  His name is Dr. Samuel Wasser and he and his staff were very accommodating and on the ball. I'm going for the gastric sleeve as soon as all the ducks are in order. (2 more months of nutritionist. ) 

I had made an appointment to meet with a Doctor in Toms River out of Community, (something Irish)  but the first  appointment I had, the office staff forgot to call me, and the second appointment, I tried to reschedule for 3 days and no one answered their phones. I didnt get a letter, a form, a reminder, but I DID get a call the day after my scheduled appointment telling me that I had missed it lol.. So.. unfortunately their office staff ruined it for me.  All I could think of was the nightmare it would be to deal with them for insurance and clearance purposes.  

Have you gone to the support groups? Ive yet to go to any and  I keep making excuses. Since my doctor is so far, (and the nutritionist whom Ive yet to meet) I have been reaching out via the net rather than in person. For me though, someone who rarely leaves the house, it would be better if I went in person..)  Im starting to ramble, I'd love to stay in touch and if you have any suggestions, names, idea to assist me on this journey, Im all ears! Thank you again for your note, I needed that.. 

Hugs and all that goo stuff~

Donna 

lmg997
on 3/11/13 11:34 pm - NJ

Donna,

I'm so glad that you've found a dr that you're comfortable with.  That's very important! 

Regarding support groups, I find them very helpful.  To be honest, it's never too early to start going to them.  I've found that meeting with people that are going through the same process as me, has been priceless.  The doctors can only tell us so much, but our peers can be an endless source of information.  If you're interested, I go to the group hosted by Community Medical Center's bariatric unit.  Actually, they're meeting this Thursday (3/14/13) at 5:30 in the auditorium at the hospital (enter through the main entrance, go past the elevators and make a right.  Auditorium A is on your left).  They meet once a month (2nd Thursday of each month).  It's open to pre and post op patients and to anyone considering or have had any form of bariatric surgery...and it doesn't matter what hospital your having/had your surgery.  No registration is required....you just need to show up.  Also, they're pretty understanding if people walk in late (like me!).  They know that the time is a bit difficult for many people, so if you can't there at 5:30, don't let that stop you from going.  I usually get there closer to 6:00 because I work in Wall.

Oh, regarding your comment about "excuses"....trust me....I know EVERY ONE of them.  I still have to make a conscious effort every day to overcome them.  I can't tell you how even a "good hair day" can be a viable excuse not to go to the gym!  LOL.  I constantly step back, look at the decisions I'm making, and reevaluate.  I then ask myself..."is this going to get me to my goal?"  If the answer is no, then the battle in my head begins.  I'm trying to see myself as a new person and not the lazy couch potato I used to be.  SO, I try to do the opposite of what I would have done a year ago (because I never want to go back there). 

If you think you might be going to the support group meeting on Thursday, let me know so I know to look for you!

Laura

Most Active