Mistakes and Coping

EccentricConsejero
on 8/17/12 6:07 pm, edited 8/17/12 6:10 pm
We all slip up from time to time... we'll have that extra helping of some deliciously tantalizing carb-loaded delicacy that we know is going from our lips to our hips... but it tastes so good.  We often recognize the mistakes we've made and take actions to sort of lessen the potential damage... some of us cut out or restrict future meals, some exercise more, some recognize that we are human and are never going to be perfect - and that it's perfectly acceptable to be imperfect.

This week, I've been waging the battle of the bulge.  I am still pre-operative, though I received notice today that in October my insurance (caid) would be extended - which means that assuming all goes well, I will (certainly) be eligible for surgery in December or January.  Still, after having seen the new nutritionist, I'm battling myself to eat as much as she wants me to.

I understand the concepts of nutrition because I studied health as an undergraduate... I realize that there are different types of carbs and our bodies respond differently to the various types....  I recognize that the more regularly and more frequently I eat, the less likely it is my body will enter "starvation mode" or will go into ketoacidosis, but I feel like eating every three hours that I'm awake (at least, eating as much as she wants) is just ridiculous... it makes me feel like a bloated whale... though I'm seeing significant results, both on and off the scale.

I've been sort of slacking the last few days.  I still have breakfast as soon as I get up... but then I don't think to eat until I'm hungry.  I get distracted by engrossing myself in some task (most recently preparing dissolution papers for my sister) and find that six hours has flown by and I've not had a single bite to eat... so I go and find something (healthy) to shove in the hole in my face to make my dietitian happy and, more importantly, to help me learn healthy eating for post-operative weight management.

What kinds of battles have you guys experienced this week or so far this month?  What challenges are you encountering, and what is your approach in addressing those issues?
birder I.
on 8/18/12 5:54 am - Rockford, IL

Eating is always a battle and I tend to place too much on a plate even though I know I can't eat that much. I'm using small plates which helps and I've finally found Click decaf mocha which is high protein and I can tolerate the taste. I've also found Quest protein bars which have 190 calories and 20 grams of protein. If you put these in the microwave a few seconds they are fabulous and then I'm full.

I think that before and after the surgery I still have to do the limiting and learn to deal with the feelings instead of eating them. I know that I have years of habits to break and while I'm making progress I don't think it will ever be like a true thin.

Connie

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender/

twotontunic
on 8/21/12 3:05 pm - Nashville, TN
VSG on 10/08/12
Giving a shout out to the Quest protein bars!  Those things are awesome.  I love the brownie one in the microwave 17 seconds. 
Heidi P.
on 8/21/12 11:22 am - St Paul, MN
VSG on 06/27/12
I feel like I'm battling everything this month. A leak was discovered nearly 4 weeks ago and a stent was placed in my stomach. Since then life has been incredibly rough. I cannot stomach protein - nor can I get a ton of water down. I have to fight to get 10g protein in per day and 20-40z fluid. I have absolutely no appetite and have to force myself to take a few bites of yogurt or cottage cheese in a day.

The good news is that I still have a bit of head hunger from time to time. To me, this is a good sign that once this stent is removed, things are going to be alright.

I have to stay focused on long term. Challenges are for a reason. I don't regret this...

HW (May 20, 2012) 310 SW (June 27, 2012) 302 GW 175 
M1=29lbs M2=29lbs M3=5lbs M4=4lbs M5=11lbs M6=10lbs
LEAKY SLEEVE DISCOVERED - July 25, 2012. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/12 10:58 am
 GOSH I hope U   get Ur surgery   ....it ALL changes Luv,,,,,,,

6 months from now all these "real"   WORRIES WILL SEEM LIKE MIRAGES ,,,,,  jest get R DONE .

PLEASE TRUST ME    ...ULL HAVE A TON of post op problems lol   ...  to   obsess     about ......
butat least Ull be hott and skinny   :)  its worth it just   4   that 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 375 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 948 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1326 views