INTERPRETERS---APPTS, SURGERY

hangokid11
on 1/30/08 1:07 pm - MT
Hi, I'm Kelly and I'm deaf. (born that way)  I'm at the stage of meeting with the surgeon, nutrtional consult, and psych consult 15 days from now (Feb 14th is the date).  I've found that it's very very important to have clear communication between the professionals and myself if I want my surgery and my new lifestyle to be successful afterwards. Please be sure to have qualified and certified interpreters... I've found myself in a situation in the past that there was an interpreter who was very inadequate and thank god, no decisions were being made....just further tests, which I understood from lip reading. I told the assistant to never hire that interpreter again... and yet...the interpreter services are not quite up to par....because the interpreters do not have  5+ years experience in this type of major surgery and plus the services do not understand that 1 interpreter cannot interpret 4 hours straight of appts!!!  Limits are one hour and a half  for that interpreter and must have a 2nd one for the rest.   That goes for surgery as well   one interpreter for pre-op and another interpreter  for post-op, etc....    I'm still at the stage of trying to convince the hospital to hire qualified interpreters outside of that interpreter agency because this agency does not have the skills to hire qualified, professional interpreters.  (they just employ interpreters of all languages and  ASL interpreters is not their expertise....). I had contacted one of the interpreter agencies and asked for input, they said to keep complaining and fight for the right to have interpreters outside of that interpreter service agency of that hospital. We, patients, have the right to adequate and excellent care.  If anyone is in a similar situation and wants to have feedback or input or give feedback or give input, etc.... I'm here....  ~Kelly.
hangokid11
on 1/31/08 1:26 am - MT
I've found 3 links that would help anyone in this situation in need of a certified interpreter in case you need to convey to your doctor, or the administration of the clinic/hospital. http://www.signlanguageresourcesinc.com/workingwithinterpreters.htm http://www.netac.rit.edu/downloads/TPSHT_Hire_Qual_Interp.pdf http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/Standard_Practice_Papers/Drafts_June_2006/Professional_Sign_Language_Interpreter_SPP(1).pdf So far, I've emailed the adminstration and hope they get the idea of what I require at those appointments.  No response yet. ~Kelly
hangokid11
on 2/6/08 5:48 am - MT
I finally got the interpreter I wanted,  18+ years of experience, plus I know how she works! Perfect for me !!
Renee W.
on 2/13/08 11:01 am - Muskegon, MI

Hi, I am not hearing impaired but my sister is.  She actually works for the local deaf and hard of hearing center.  If you have any more questions, maybe I can put you in touch with her.  Good Luck.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
OT: Cold Case Sunday 3/30
Vicki PNW · 0 replies · 342 views
INTERPRETERS---APPTS, SURGERY
hangokid11 · 3 replies · 893 views
What ?
Nick D. · 1 replies · 391 views
Feel better signing
NoniOhio · 0 replies · 407 views
I'd like to share my experience
NoniOhio · 12 replies · 1131 views