muscle spasms after bypass

Erica K.
on 5/12/12 6:37 pm - Levittown, NY
I'm 9 yrs after RNY - started having severe - very severe spasms in both my legs - it got worse over the years - sometimes when the spasm**** I can't walk - cry in pain - they came without warning - but more often if I am riding (car) a long time or am very tired - since I work as a nurse - 12 hour shifts - usually 10 days in a row - 4 off - and commute one way 80 miles -  these leg spasms are awful.  I reseaerched this problem and read that it Mayo Neurologists have been caring for post bariatric patients with these types of spasms  - nutrition deficit related.

The stomach cells are the factories that break down food into proteins - fats carbohydrates - with the stomach out of the way or gone (I had mine removed after several bleeds that came from the old (remnant) stomach - due to alkaline erosion of the remnant stomach lining.

Has anyone else experienced these spasms?  What have yoou been told or done?
Clachey
on 3/26/13 12:04 pm - OH
VSG on 05/30/12

I can relate,  ever since my surgery May 2012, I have experienced severe cramps in my legs, feet and thighs. I have been told to drink more water, eat more potassium, and milk.  So far nothing has worked. I definitely understand what you are experiencing look forward to see what else might be posted or help us.

Clawedme
on 4/20/13 3:07 am

I am 5 years post RNY bypass and also have suffered with a periodic muscle cramp in my left foot and left calf. Mostly in the summer.  Last night I had severe bilateral foot and calf spasms that were so painful I was standing and crying out and sitting and standing, screaming out....... nothing relieved them.  Lasted about 6 to 8 minutes. 

I have been using Purity brand bypass designed vitamins (chewable)... and Rx Vitamin D and folic acid...  My labs are great for nutritional stores.  Just had them done.  I drink water and coffee and tea and diet soda.   I am probably not very diligent about protein... which is PROBABLY the issue. 

This pain was so horrible, I am going to eat a whole Salmon tonight!! LOL  I do not want to feel that pain again.

I searched online in Google Scholar for info, but nothing was free to download.  Only abstracts.

Claudia

Most Active
Recent Topics
New Meetup in VA
shoutjoy · 0 replies · 367 views
muscle spasms after bypass
Erica K. · 2 replies · 782 views
ignore testing
ahart250 · 0 replies · 459 views
Ignore - testing
awayfrmitall · 0 replies · 442 views