lap band broken?????

sassylassie13
on 12/1/13 3:28 am

By this time, I hope everything has resolved for you.  Did you end up getting a new band placed?  I would like to hear what ended up happening.

My band broke 7/31/13 when my medical provider was palpating my abdomen for diverticulitis (I don't know why she was in the upper left quadrant as the diverticulitis pain is in the lower area of the abdomen).  I had had a CT scan in June for my diverticulitis and nothing remarkable was seen, but after being sent to a surgeon & then another CT scan showed a broken band.  When it broke I was in extreme pain also--the saline solution emptying into the abdominal cavity was like putting salt on a wound.  The band broke where the tube between the port and band disconnected from the port. The CT scan showed it hanging into my pelvis.  A lot of pain.

B/c of my lengthy history of diverticulitis the bariatric surgeon I am seeing said he couldn't put in another band due to the high likelihood of me needing a bowel resection in the future.  The likelihood of it becoming contaminated was very high & the possibility of the band itself slipping is higher on the second placement.  He said it's not that unusual for there to be a breakage of a band.  I am scheduled later this month to have it removed and he will do a sleeve on me.  In the meantime, just this weekend, I believe the other end of the tube has disconnected and I've been experiencing the same kind of burning pain all throughout my abdomen :(

Barger36
on 3/28/14 3:07 am

Trust me, when it breaks you are in horrific pain. Mine broke on Monday during a Zumba class. It feels as if the tubing is going to fall out. Everytime you move, the tube moves and it is the worse pain. It was determined mine was in fact broken on Wed however they are wanting a upper GI done first then schedule it. My stomach has swelled to the point I look pregnant and I am going back to the ER today due to a fever and throwing up. Don't let anyone make it like your pain isn't that bad because it is. I gave birth naturally and I can say this is by far the worse pain. They are doing a band removal next week if not tonight. I managed to lose 167 lbs by busting my butt it has nothing to do with the band and I want it out of my body. I have became a Zumba instructor, personal trainer and nutritionist over the last 2 years and this band has got to go. If you have chills, fever or swelling go to the ER don't wait 

Stephanie M.
on 3/28/14 4:16 am

Swelling, vomiting and fever are all signs of infection and possibly erosion.  Don't wait on this.  I've seen several horror stories if delayed surgeries for your type of symptoms and ensuing sepsis.  Infection can be Dx thru exam and CBC.  Please don't wait for them to schedule you for Sx next week.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Barger36
on 4/7/14 2:27 pm

I had my band removed today, after 3 weeks of it breaking. The tubing came off and caused me horrific pain. I was in the ER 4 times just so they could get my pain under control. I had the band taken out today and I feel like a new woman. I feel as if I can breathe, of course no pain from the lose tubing. I managed to lose over 100lbs that I do not account to the band, I worked my butt off for it became a Zumba instructor and personal trainer, in fact that is one of the reasons I was given as to why my band broke, for the 2nd time. They said I could be too active. Really???? And yes this was the 2nd one that the tubing came off so no more bands for me

pineview01
on 4/9/14 6:18 pm - Davison, MI

Glad to hear you got this taken care of.  You had this happen twice?  WOW!  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active