20 lbs of Regret

catalina07
on 11/1/11 2:36 am, edited 11/1/11 2:36 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14
Wow, seeing posts from others with my same experience almost made me cry. What a relief to have contact with others like me! Mostly I see people who succeed with their band and think, something is wrong with me!   I will check out that failed band page. I have thought about revision, I guess the only thing holding me back, is FEAR. What if it doesnt work? they say the revision surgery is a lot more complicated, that scares me too.
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 2:55 am, edited 11/1/11 2:56 am
You are for sure not alone. I've lost about 50 lbs with my band and I live with regret every single day. It sucks to see people that know you had surgery look at you and wonder, "what the hell did she do wrong?" It sucks going to a new restaurant having to scope out the bathrooms since I never know day to day what will be tolerated and what won't. It sucks still paying for a useless piece of equipment stuck inside my body. It royally sucks going from being able to eat a horse to not being able to keep down things the consistency of yogurt, on back to back days.

Sigh. I shoulda bought that new car instead.
catalina07
on 11/1/11 3:18 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14
Wow Michelle I totally feel ya! I am the same way with restaurants. I often end up getting stuck when I eat out, and I havent been able to figure out why!! Sometimes I have to go to throw up in the bathroom. The difference is, NOBODY (except 3 people) know I had the surgery. So, I have to return to the table like everything is fine, move my food around, pretend to eat and say how I'm not hungry...even though i am STARVING!!    and for no reason too, one day a horse, next day drinking hurts! Did you ever get stuck so hard it feels like a heart attack? There is a lot of pain associated with this...the least I could say was that i lost 100 pounds or something..but wait, i didnt realy loose anything! I actually went back for one of those "seminars" on the advice of my first surgeon...by the time I left i was sooo angry! All the bull**** that they were selling just made me sick. I knew better this time, but the first time, the lap band sounded like a golden ticket!!!
Nic M
on 11/1/11 3:25 am

That pain you're feeling like a heart attack? It's the Vagus nerves running through the diaphragm, causing referred left shoulder pain. I had it every stinking day when I had my band. Nonstop. It was enough to make me want to die.

I have a thread on the failed group forum about it. It's very common.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

catalina07
on 11/1/11 5:16 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14
Thanks I am going to check that out! Thanks for posting.
aliciahegeman
on 11/1/11 7:11 am - Highland, NY
i ve had my band for almost 3 years..50 pounds lost i throw up 4 out of 7 days ;;like you some nights i can eat pizza...the next ime a bite sends me to the bathroom..i know im not supposed to eat it but i do occasionally...once a month or so..i can get stuck on cottage cheese too...i dont regeret getting my and but i wish i explored ohter surgeries first...and i can never tell sometimes..,i can eat chicken salad for lunch then get stuck on my first bite of dinner....u would think id be at goal for the amount i eat and throw up...doc says my bites are to big and to chew better...soooo frustrating ..and yes getting stuck most times hurts so bad i get a headache ,..,the sweats ughhh ....
catalina07
on 11/2/11 12:55 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14
I KNOW what you mean!  The problems I now have with food are WORSE than before! Now I find myself fearful of certain foods for i know the outcome!...and they say "you are eating around the band"...but what choice is there? to not eat at all? or eat chicken and throw it back up??
_rebecca
on 11/1/11 10:45 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
Hugs!  A failed band is NOT your fault.  My band failed and I had a revision to the sleeve.  The sleeve is amazing and it works ALL the time!  I have lost 85 pounds in ten months pretty much effortlessly.  I wish you the best. 
catalina07
on 11/2/11 12:57 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14
wow. I love to hear that it was the band that failed, and not me!  My surgeone ACTUALLY told me "well, since you failed at the band, you would just fail at bypass too"...i left his office hysterical crying!  What a JERK!  I like the idea of the sleeve but, I'm scare that i will just fail at that too! Is it as much WORK as the band? and do you keep the band in or get it removed to have the sleeve?
Hislady
on 11/1/11 10:52 am - Vancouver, WA
We must be sisters from a different mother cause I too lost a whopping 20 lbs! I finally just got fed up with being too tight and had my band completely emptied and actually I'm maintaining better than when my band was tightened. I can finally eat healthy food again, a nice chicken breast and a salad is heaven. Right now I can't revise because my insurance is different now but I'm hoping once I hit medicare age in a few years that they will have approved the sleeve by then and I can get that done. The band has been nothing but a bad joke!
Most Active