Honest opinions please.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 7:33 am, edited 3/23/12 7:33 am - Mexico
On March 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, Zee Starrlite wrote: OMG Michelle  - I've missed you so much.  I didn't think I could do it without your support.  You were there for me when I still had my fingers in my ears afraid to listen.  Thank you for saving me from plicating!

My sleeved stomach is a little too normal - it's fantastic though, really beautiful.  I'm not getting skinny fast yet I am working it.  I will be at "normal chart weight" by my one year.

Hope all is okay with you - I worried a bit for you.

(((BIG HUGS)))
Leila  
I didn't realize you had your sleeve!  Congrats to you!!!!!!

You know, there was a convention recently of the most recognized 25 bariatric surgeons in the world.  The guy who created plication was one of the speakers.  He made it very clear that plication is not meant for long term weight loss.  Perhaps 5-10 years and that's it.  I thought that was interesting.

Congrats again on your sleeve!  No more getting stuck!!!!

ETA:  BTW, the reason I stopped posting is because I started working for a bariatric surgeon and I was unsure of the ethics.  But I figure as long as I am honest about it, it shouldn't be an issue.
melly37
on 3/24/12 3:01 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 Welcome back, Michelle!  I am revising to the sleeve on April 2nd, and I am very excited about it!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/12 3:55 am - Mexico
On March 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, melly37 wrote:
 Welcome back, Michelle!  I am revising to the sleeve on April 2nd, and I am very excited about it!

OMZ, Melly... I didn't realize you were having problems.  I am so sorry!

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT, I am thrilled you are getting a sleeve!  AHAHAHA!  Life is good once again!  A sleeve, it is like what a band is supposed to do but with no maintenance.  You have surgery, you wave goodbye to your surgeon, and you never have to see him again.   No maintenance, no upkeep, no fills or unfills, it is your stomach but just smaller.

Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!  (((HUGS)))
MARIA F.
on 3/23/12 9:18 am - Athens, GA

If you're metabolically challenged, I would think you need to revise to a WLS with malabsorption. Look into the DS or RNY.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/12 4:09 am - Mexico
On March 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM Pacific Time, MARIA F. wrote:

If you're metabolically challenged, I would think you need to revise to a WLS with malabsorption. Look into the DS or RNY.

Good luck!

RNY?  Bleh....

AMichelle
on 3/23/12 2:55 pm

I can relate to your frustration! I had my resting metabolic rate (RMR) tested about a year and a half ago and had similar results. It was 1300 when it should have been 1800. They did it twice, because the initial results were so low. I’d need to eat about 500 less calories each day or 800 calories daily to lose a pound a week. The exercise physiologist said you can only restrict your calories so much that stepping up my exercise was the only way to change my metabolism. He said I could bring my RMR up by increasing the amount of calories I burn. I lost about 20 pounds after upping my exercise, but I’d still like to lose another twenty pounds and this seems to be the hardest 20 pounds to lose. I've been at this weight for about a year. I'd be curious what my RMR is now, but I don't want to pay $150 to find it out again-- not covered by my insurance.

I currently have a leaky port so my band isn’t able to take a fill. I’ve chosen not to have my band replaced for now. I probably wouldn’t have a revision to a sleeve, but that’s just me. You know yourself best and your decision might differ.

melly37
on 3/24/12 3:07 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 I am in your spot, and I am revising to the sleeve soon.  In my case, my band just acts psycho too much of the time......not allowing me to eat, good and healthy foods quite a bit.  I turn to refined carbs to satisfy my hunger, which causes its own problems.  

I know that the sleeve will also allow me to eat all of my trigger foods......so, I will have to stay away from them.  I will be able to eat meats and veggies again, so will have no impediments and NO EXCUSES! 

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/12 4:07 am - Mexico
On March 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM Pacific Time, melly37 wrote:
 I am in your spot, and I am revising to the sleeve soon.  In my case, my band just acts psycho too much of the time......not allowing me to eat, good and healthy foods quite a bit.  I turn to refined carbs to satisfy my hunger, which causes its own problems.  

I know that the sleeve will also allow me to eat all of my trigger foods......so, I will have to stay away from them.  I will be able to eat meats and veggies again, so will have no impediments and NO EXCUSES! 

~~so will have no impediments and NO EXCUSES! ~~

That is our Melly.... a 'no excuse' girlie girl!  You belong to US!   Oh hell, we ALL belong to us!   But you are going into this with the right frame of mind.  You will do well.

melly37
on 3/24/12 8:05 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
On March 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM Pacific Time, boldnbariatric wrote:
On March 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM Pacific Time, melly37 wrote:

~~so will have no impediments and NO EXCUSES! ~~

That is our Melly.... a 'no excuse' girlie girl!  You belong to US!   Oh hell, we ALL belong to us!   But you are going into this with the right frame of mind.  You will do well.

Thanks, Michelle!  I got tired of fighting the good fight with my band and healthy eating.....I got the band to be healthy.  I am thankful that it got me as far as it did, but it's time for a better tool, that will allow me to be all that I can be!  Glad you are back.

Dev *.
on 3/26/12 1:02 am - Austin, TX
Keep a few things in mind:
1. A sleeve will not change your RMR at all. It is a different way of restricting how many calories you consume, but over time it can stretch out and your calorie count can creep back up. You might get some help, at least intitially, from a reduction in hunger hormones that comes with removing stomach tissue. This reduction may not be permanent.
2. The biggest issue you are facing is one of biology. Several things happen to us when we lose weight (even just 10% of your body weight):
Your metabolism slows, no one knows for how long.
Your body actually begins to use calories MORE efficiently when you exercise. I.e., an exercise that supposedly burns 200 calories likely burns less for you.
You will always have to eat less than a comparable person your size to maintain the same weight. That is to say, someone who weights 300 lbs and loses 150 lbs will always have to eat less to weigh 150 lbs than someone who always weighed 150 lbs. This is likely a permanent problem.
Our bodies do not actually like to lose weight, and there's a big biological drive to get back what was lost. No matter what surgical intervention one chooses, this will be a lifelong issue for most people.

Has your doctor examined WHY you seem to have less restriction? Are you sure you still have the amount in there you think you have? Have you had an upper GI to check for esophageal dilation? Also, the 4cc band can safely be filled above 4cc. If you have no evidence of problems, try the least intervention first, before you subject yourself to another surgical procedure.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Most Active