Why I Post About the Band

MARIA F.
on 3/27/12 11:59 am - Athens, GA
On March 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:
And I too do it for the same reason, if I knew then what I know now, well we know the answer to that. So to all of us that have the guts to keep warning others !!!!!

You Rock HL! :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

sfnativewm
on 3/27/12 11:00 am
I too am disappointed with the band!!!  but I am stuck with my choice and hope and pray I can lose all the weight some day!  xo

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

sfnativewm
on 3/27/12 11:04 am
p.s I just want all to know the band made me feel very disapointed in me!!  Yes ti is a tool!!  but  I need a little more than a tool!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

MARIA F.
on 3/27/12 11:58 am - Athens, GA
On March 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM Pacific Time, sfnativewm wrote:
p.s I just want all to know the band made me feel very disapointed in me!!  Yes ti is a tool!!  but  I need a little more than a tool!

Yes it's a "tool" (for some!).

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/12 11:19 am - NJ
That thread makes me so sad; that was me too.  I haven't been too active in posting but I just may start because I really don't know anyone who has had both success AND no complications.  

I too fell for the BS that it's less invasive, reversible and adjustable - and let's not forget the horror of having your intestines rearranged, because let's face it, that is just too grisly to think about (like you have to look at it every day - I can't feel a thing that my intestines have been rearranged).  

Less invasive?  Really??  This less invasive procedure led to two more surgeries.  I am not sure how less invasive that is. 

My band did nothing but cause issues, from being able to feel the port (which felt like a pop up timer on a thanksgiving turkey in my belly), to the constant burn in my throat which then gave way to the vomiting several times a day, which led to an unfill, then a small refill, which led to more of the same trouble, which led to another emergency unfill, which led to band removal, then another surgery for RNY.

Back in June 2008, the complications that I was told about and researched were no more than a slipped band (which was trivialized) and a flipped port.  That was about it.

Now, in 2012, the amount of complications (serious ones too I might add) are staggering.  

People really need to research ALL of the available options.  I am not bitter, I wish people were better informed about the potential band issues and really think about their choice.

I wish someone had told me too, but at the time, there weren't that many long term bandsters and there weren't that many reported complications.  Now that we know, I feel almost obligated to share my story too.
MARIA F.
on 3/27/12 11:54 am - Athens, GA

~ Now that we know, I feel almost obligated to share my story too.~

Please do! It will benefit so many people! If we could all start paying it forward we could help a lot of potential bandsters avoid our pain. And if they choose the band anyway...........well at least we know we did what we should to let them know how most band outcomes end up long term (and MANY even short term!).

Hope you're enjoying your RNY! :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/12 12:26 pm - NJ
On March 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM Pacific Time, MARIA F. wrote:

~ Now that we know, I feel almost obligated to share my story too.~

Please do! It will benefit so many people! If we could all start paying it forward we could help a lot of potential bandsters avoid our pain. And if they choose the band anyway...........well at least we know we did what we should to let them know how most band outcomes end up long term (and MANY even short term!).

Hope you're enjoying your RNY! :-)
I think I just might, I really feel the need to speak about it lately.  Maybe because I am approaching 3 years out from my RNY and I am doing well, I don't know.  Maybe the FB group too.

Thanks Maria, and yes, I am enjoying my RNY 
Chicarita
on 3/27/12 12:16 pm
I'm crabby too. I'm crabby because I am in pain and because I have been puking for 5 years. And because I am heading into a revision in two days that should have been the surgery I chose first.

I feel so badly that people don't know how awful this thing can be. Yes, CAN BE, so save your flames. Some people do ok. But the number of folks that I meet and speak with who are having issues is staggering. It breaks my heart.

So if yours is working, I'm truly happy for you and I sincerely hope that it continues to work really well for you. But you have to know that you are not the "norm".

I just saw a post on another board from a woman who was in the Realize Band trial in 2005. She was told she is the last person to retain the band from that trial. THE LAST ONE. And she is now looking at revision options.

So if you are considering the band, maybe it's right for you - I can't answer that. But do yourself a favor and research this band and the other options. If you are thinking this is "less invasive", PLEASE know it is not. There are so many people with esophageal damage (dysmotility, diverticula, etc) and damage to their stomachs.

Research, study, read, ask, learn. Then, at least you will know what you're getting into, good and bad.

And forgive us crabby people. We have just "been there, done that" and we don't want people to make the same mistake we did. If I saw you walking into traffic, I'd stop you. That's what I'm doing here too.
MARIA F.
on 3/27/12 1:43 pm - Athens, GA
On March 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM Pacific Time, Chicarita wrote:
I'm crabby too. I'm crabby because I am in pain and because I have been puking for 5 years. And because I am heading into a revision in two days that should have been the surgery I chose first.

I feel so badly that people don't know how awful this thing can be. Yes, CAN BE, so save your flames. Some people do ok. But the number of folks that I meet and speak with who are having issues is staggering. It breaks my heart.

So if yours is working, I'm truly happy for you and I sincerely hope that it continues to work really well for you. But you have to know that you are not the "norm".

I just saw a post on another board from a woman who was in the Realize Band trial in 2005. She was told she is the last person to retain the band from that trial. THE LAST ONE. And she is now looking at revision options.

So if you are considering the band, maybe it's right for you - I can't answer that. But do yourself a favor and research this band and the other options. If you are thinking this is "less invasive", PLEASE know it is not. There are so many people with esophageal damage (dysmotility, diverticula, etc) and damage to their stomachs.

Research, study, read, ask, learn. Then, at least you will know what you're getting into, good and bad.

And forgive us crabby people. We have just "been there, done that" and we don't want people to make the same mistake we did. If I saw you walking into traffic, I'd stop you. That's what I'm doing here too.

~I just saw a post on another board from a woman who was in the Realize Band trial in 2005. She was told she is the last person to retain the band from that trial. THE LAST ONE. And she is now looking at revision options~

That's very interesting. I didn't realize she  was the last one left from that trial! Wow!

It's sad that so many (most) are having to have multiple surgeries. I don't have insurance and paid cash for my band. Prior to that I asked the "lap-band advocate" about post-op complications. I knew that there was seldom any complications during the surgery and that most complications occur later. I specifically told her: "I can only afford ONE surgery! This has to be a ONE SHOT DEAL!" Well the woman lied straight to my face and told me with the "new bands" that they had worked out all the kinks, and that you almost never saw complications with the "new bands".

I wish you the best of luck with your revision! I know you'll be much happier with a different WLS. Now give me a great big crabby group hug! Lol.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Betty J.
on 3/27/12 10:11 pm - Waterville, MN
REALIZE Band on 03/08/12
 I don't think anyone would  object to the pro's and cons of the band being said, but I do think sometimes it is the way it is said or wrote that matters. Information is always good. But just state the facts and leave out your opinions. We then can make the decision whether the band is good for us or not. I am new here and I notice the harsh words being said back and forth. It doesn't need to be a bashing one way or the other. Both sides get offended and want to prove their point. So just gives us the facts and no opinions.

Thanks for everyone's support

Heaviest wt. 235- surgery wt-203

(Fallen trying to get back on)      Current wt= 215.

Edit   Delete  

Edit   Delete        

Most Active