Lupus and verticle sleeve

Nicki K.
on 12/20/08 9:20 pm, edited 12/20/08 9:32 pm - Jewell, IA
Hello,
I have Lupus!!  I had the VSG!!   I am doing GREAT!!  My rhuemy said NO RNY!!   And my surgeon talk to a Rhuemy at Stanford and he said NO to lap band.   Feel free to email me at hadakempe AT hughes DOT net  (spam bots get address if typed in usual form) if you have any questions.
PS  my surgeon is in Iowa and she is GREAT!!  Maybe here instead of Mexico?
Thanks
Nicki

cpc
on 10/29/10 5:43 am - NJ
 Hi,
I saw your post.
I had the lap band put in oct 2007.
In Jan 2010, i got sick and was feeling fatique, flu feeling was in hosp for 5 days.
Was sent home to follow up with all diff doc.
Final out come is I have lupus, polymylagia rumativa and my thyroid was low.
Since all this my band is just do wanting the fills, everytime i get one i have to go back to
get it unfilled, my doc wants to remove the band and do the sleeve.
just wanted you input on this and how do you like the sleeve.
Thanks,
Colette
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/08 5:44 pm
I have lupus and the RNY, and I'm doing great.  There is concern about the impact of LapBand on people with immune issues, but NO PUBLISHED DATA at ALL.  There is concern about RNYers not being able to take large doses of NSAIDS -- but I take asperin in low doses, with P Pump inhibitors, and no problems at all.

All surgery was performed in Los Angeles -- don't know why anyone would be told it wasn't done here.  

And I can't think why there would be a problem with VSG and lupus, at all.

Your case may have specific issues related, other than the ones you mentioned?

dammfamily
on 1/21/09 2:50 am - gervais, OR
I have the Lap Band & seem to have no problems with it and my Lupus.
Rae
Brenda Ashcraft
on 1/30/09 8:31 am - Monterrey, Mexico
Hello, I had the VSG on October 10, 08 in Monterrey, Mexico, where I have lived with my husband for almost 40 years as a Baptist missionary.  I was diagnosed with Lupus 6 years ago.  My surgeon is a world class surgeon...Dr. Robert Rumbaut. You can look him up online.  I have been on prednisone for 4 years, but at the time of surgery I was only taking 7.5 mg per day.  There is no reason not to have surgery in Mexico, if you trust your surgeon.  Most of the well known surgeons in Monterrey have studied in the States, and many of them, including Dr. Rumbaut, have actually TAUGHT the doctors in the US how to do it. 

My advice is to be sure that you have a doctor in your area that you can contact after surgery if you need him.  (Dr. Rumbaut may have a list of doctors that he works with in the States.  Since I live here, there has not be a need to ask, but that would be an excellent question.)  I have had no problems whatsoever, other than a small flareup of gout due to extremely fast weight loss. 

Mexico is a great country, and has excellent doctors and health care facilities.  Don't let others put it down.  Of course, as in any country, you can find the best of doctors...and the worst of doctors.  Just be sure who you are seeing...and go for it.

Contact me whenever you need to

Brenda Ashcraft
Monterrey, Mexico

Psalm 126:6
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/09 12:06 pm

Cakes-

I have lupus AND fibromyalgia, and I also have a FULL DS!   My meds are doing just fine, and I've lost 112.2 pounds as of today, my 5 month surgiversary!

I take Plaquenil, Flexeril, Lyrica, Tramadol as needed, Cymbalta ,which takes care of pain and depression...this was pre-Lyrica approval for fibro, I continue to take it to keep depression at bay.
Xanax as needed, and Mirapex for restless leg syndrome.

Of course, this is just my case.  I don't know how severe your SLE is...but one thing is for sure...weight loss will help pain management!

Check with your surgeon if you think a full DS might be right for you.
tammy69
on 7/27/09 4:36 pm - Canada
what is DS?
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/09 4:03 am, edited 7/28/09 4:31 am

A DS - Duodenal Switch- is another kind of weight loss surgery.  If your surgeon knows about VSG, he/she should know about the Duodenal Switch.  Most of the time, if they don't mention it, it's because they don't perform them.

Please investigate your options fully before you make your final decision.

go to www.DSfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com .

The restriction of the sleeve will take the weight off, but the DS will KEEP it off!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1742 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2058 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2178 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2957 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4688 views