Waist

BIG F.
on 1/7/07 1:57 am - chandler, AZ
OK guys, I have a question. When you measure your waist do you measure around the navel or do you measure below the hanging flab? I know a dumb question but I'm just curious. Lamont
drjco
on 1/7/07 2:25 am - Mint Hill, NC
There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. And, I don't have one for you. I am not a loser yet. drjco
carrtje
on 1/7/07 2:34 am - Chico, CA
I measure this way: neck at the base waist at the navel hips at the mid-butt part bicept in the middle thigh in the middle
Cagledude
on 1/7/07 2:39 am - Lawrence, IN
Lamont, I never figured out how to take waist measurements so I just judge it by the size of my pants.....went from size 48 down to 32. Good luck! Floyd
Dx E
on 1/7/07 3:06 am - Northern, MS
Lamont, OoH1 OOOH! Pick Me!!! I know this one!!!!!! From Costume design classes- It's slightly different on Everyone, And the "Wasit-line" is a whole Other issue, But - There is an easy way to find an individual's True-Waist. For Men? An easy way to find it is to push in with hands on the side and find the top /outermost Part of the pelvic bones on either side. (called the "ear" of the ilium) Here's a diagram- http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/bio105/pelvis.jpg then, find the point in the front were the pelvis bone sticks forward the most- (the Pubis) Halfway between these two, (sort of inline with the Sacrum) is the "True Waist." Many different types of pants and styles over time Are designed to ride higher or lower than that line Depending on the style of the day. Present day "Military uniforms" (the source of standardization in most Male garment tailoring) Has the "waistline" about ¾ of the way between the "ear of the ilium" and the pubis, In the upper half. Most men's slacks present-day, are designed to ride just a little higher than the true waist. Back in the 40's, they were all the way up at the top of the ilium. Younger men's jeans of the late 60's (hip-huggers) rode down in line with the pubis As do hip-hop low-riding (sagging) jeans of present day. All that babble to say- The "True waist" is determined anatomically, The "Waist-line" as it relates to clothing, Is determined by the trend and individual's style. Yes? Old retired men in Florida seem to have a waist-line somewhere just under the nipples! The flab in the front does force obese and formerly obese men To make the fashion/style choice- Tuck it down in? Or hang it over the Belt? Both are "ways" of wearing the pants to deal with the extra flesh. Normal BMI men who have no excess skin, don't have that part to figure into the question. Sort of like completely bald men not having to think about how to "wear their hair." Great question! Best Wishes- Dx
Paul Gubrud
on 1/7/07 3:27 am - Pelican Rapids, MN
Lamont, It's good to see your smiling friendly face on the board today. What Fitday says is to "Measure the distance around your waist at the narrowest point below your rib cage and above your hip bone. This is usually at or just above your navel. Stand up straight without sucking in your belly". For me, I find that this measurement is slightly larger than my pants size and I buckle my belt over my navel. May Your Lantern Burn Bright, Paul
George Price
on 1/7/07 9:30 am - Leesburg, GA
I Measure By what ever pants fit, I wear them up around the Navel area. Right now Im in a 36. George
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/07 12:18 am - Waterdown, Canada
Waist measure....well, quite proudly I can report that I began this quest to regain my life at 60" around... And yesterday, I put on a pair of 48" jeans that I've not worn since 1995 or so..and they fit quite nicely! WooHoo....12" gone....and I measure right at my navel...cause that's where it seems my waist and all my pants 'fit!' Jim
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views