So there IS life after surgery!

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/25/11 2:24 am
 If you had asked me, I am not sure I would have been able to give a positive answer!!

I am actually feeling pretty good at the moment, took my pain meds at 9am and got a ton of grading and such done.  (I teach online) and all my emails are officially caught up!

Surgery was Wed, 9/21, and took about 3 hours (1 to 4ish), they tested for leaks and found some / had to put in a couple extra stitches and they re-tested and I was good.  (RNY bypass)

Mostly because others may want to know some of this stuff, here is my thoughts!!

Recovery room... mouth is SUPER dry, lips sticking to gum, I managed to say something about it and they got me a sponge thing I could roll around a bit and that kinda helped.

PAIN... I "think" they gave me a bit of pain med in recovery room, but I was loopy and not 100% sure.

I was in the recovery room until about 6pm or so, I went back to surgery at say 12 something, so that is a good timeline for the families to know!  I actually wondered if something went wrong since I had been in surgery so "long" 

More in the next post

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/25/11 2:30 am
 Rolling to the room...SUCKED... every freaking bump in the road it feels like you are hitting at 60mph.  Pain started building...

Rolling me from surgery bed to "my" bed SUCKED, honestly they needed more help or something to move a 350 pound man.  I remember having to roll to each side to get a sheet out, so you are "helping" with this a bit and you really don't want to.

PAIN... wave #1 starts building and about 645ish I "man up" and ask for help with it.  (Don't be that guy ASK for the pain meds the MOMENT they start flaring up!!)

7ish the nurse hits me with morphine, "direct" and I could feel it hit within a few seconds but much of the pain is gas and that really does not go away.  I am at a 8ish or so on scale to 10.

I started "walking" in bed because I heard all the stories about walking / helping with gas.  Not sure if my moving legs around helped or did nothing but I felt better.  Pain was back down to say 4ish.

Morphine wears off quickly.. in theory 2 hours, but at 930 I am hurting... takes another 15 minutes for a nurse to bring / get my morphine started via my drip...BUT instead of instant relief, now you are talking nearly 45 minutes for real relief!!

THAT was a LONG LONG LONG 45-60 minutes at level 8/9 in pain...

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/25/11 2:34 am
 So then the nurse comes in about an hour or so and offers to give me a different pain med that last 4 hours.  (Loratab?)

I quickly agree and from THAT point on... my pain has been manageable..

So that is my first major tip.  Ask for pain med early... ask to get to the Loratab (or your equiv) as soon as possible because a 4 hour window beats the HECK out 90 minutes with 45 in agony to kick in!!

She also kicked in some anti-inflammatory.. they helped too I think... 

If I did not move much the pain could go away as long as 6 hours.  But if I got up and walked like a good boy, that hurt and could take an hour to recover from (laying very still, nausea from the pain)

Maybe I am a wimp, but telling it like it is.. I DID survive all of this and looking back I am cool with it, but hoping a future person will have a good mindset on what I experienced YMMV.

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/25/11 2:38 am
 Walking... I walked ONCE on Wed night late after the 4 hour meds kicked in and made a 1/2 lap (nurses station and a bit beyond and back)

Slept decent all night but I can tell you I KNEW when my 4 hour meds were coming back in, though I let them go to 6 hours as I slept some.

Thursday, I walked 5-6 times, my goal was every hour...NOPE.

I would feel good, get up, pee (the first few times are MAJOR burning from catheter, ouch!) and then go for a walk.  A full lap (my section of corridor) and it would take me an hour of laying still to recover!

By 11am on day 2 I was sleepy (pain meds + nausea meds knock me out) and slept until 4ish or so.

Company was coming, got pain meds on board and had 2 good hours visiting.  Went for a loop and that knocked me out.

Next 2 groups of visitors I was aware but talked VERY little (sorry folks) and by 8ish I was nauseous and chased the last group out with my dry heaves.

Pain meds + Nausea and a "decent" night of sleep!!

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/25/11 2:43 am
 Friday (Day 3)

Knowing now how much walking kicked my butt and knowing I had to leave, I only did 1 lap early that morning.

I had been burping since early Thursday, my first official (small) fart Friday and I felt better that the bowels were kicking in.  (No movement.)

I left about 1pm or so, I did have ONE movement as I got dressed to leave, 95% LARGE fart, 5% liquid.

The ride home was not bad... holding pillow on tummy did help.  2 more bowel movements with mostly gas and I hit the recliner.

SAT (Day 4) I slept a LOT yesterday.  I did some work on my laptop but was really hurting after 45 minutes.  Holding your arms up DOES sorta brace against stomach!!

Every once in a while would get nausea, but got meds for that, and pain meds I am trying to go 4 hours or more and even cut back on the amount some.  (Don't want to get hooked)

Drank my first (and second) protein shake, sipped water all day (between em 40oz or so of liquid) and a popsicle.

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/25/11 2:47 am
 SUN (Day 5)

I am feeling pretty good.  Good bowel movement this morning (funny what you start to be glad about), pain meds at 9am and it is 1245ish and will see how long I last.

Got a LOT of work done today from 10 until now on my laptop...

And that is where I am at.

It REALLY is true that there is not a single food on the planet I am desiring at the moment.  That I have to make myself drink.  I prefer water instead of crystal light and popsicle was a change but not really as much of a treat as I expected.

So... the only other "funny" thing is I GAINED 11 pounds while in the hospital!!  323.x when I went in and 334.x when I got home on Friday.  Back down to 326.x last night and 324.x a little while ago.

cabin111
on 9/25/11 2:02 pm
Each day should get better and better.  Most people are off the pain meds by about the 4-6 day.  It becomes more discomfort rather than pain for about 2 weeks.  Did you have a second operation to find the holes in you stomach or pouch??  If so it is like a double wammy.  You probably have more compressed air blown into your system than most RNYers.  Sleep when and where you can.  You have heard it before but; sleep, sip, walk, repeat...
You probably won't be able to get in all your 64oz of fluid and protein...Just do your best and you should be fine.  Your taste will change.  You may now hate your protein shake...Drink it like you're drinking medicine.  When your nose start to run or you get the hiccups stop eating or drinking (that is your pouches way of telling you it's full).  I envy you!!  I could not burp till about 6 months post op...very frustrating.  Take care...Brian
Sam LifeNerd
on 9/26/11 12:55 am
 Some good tips there, I wondered about the hiccups!!

Same operation, but they "test" before they start backing out and that is when they found the leaks.  I suspect that you are correct, I had more than the usual amount of air/saline pumped into me because of this since they had to repeat that test!

Today is pretty good, got in another couple hours of work on the laptop.  No pain meds since last night, but might take some (1/2 the dosage) before I walk around the block some today!

Corey H.
on 9/26/11 3:01 am - Liverpool, NY

Thanks for the detailed outline of your experience. I go in tomorrow for my surgery and while "my mileage may vary", this gives a good understanding of what I may go through myself.

Corey

Highest/Starting/Day of Surgery (9/27/11)/Current/Goal: 415/394/340/240/200

Follow my Blog - OneHalf.Me    Follow me on Twitter   Friend me on Facebook

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sam LifeNerd
on 9/27/11 12:37 am
 I was thinking of the guys about to have the surgery and I would rather you know / be mentally prepared for this and to ASK for pain meds early on, and worry about easing off them LATER!

That the liquid Loratab (for me) worked really nicely, lasted 4ish to 6 hours, MUCH better than a drip version of morphine or such!!

TUES - Day 6

Working from home on my laptop this morning, 1.5 hours in so far will put in another hour or two.

Walked about 6 houses down in my neighborhood yesterday, and turned around (I might could have gone further but wife did not want me to pu**** and get sick)

My last pain meds was Sunday night (after going to church by the way for 1.x hours!), so two days without a need.  Got a bit 'uncomfortable' last night but I COULD endure it.  Unlike the hospital stuff, save the manliness for a few days out!!  :)

Going shopping with the wife this afternoon, will be my first trip outside other than I shuffled in to church Sunday night to hear our homecoming band/service.

I am thinking seriously of going in to the office for a few hours tomorrow / and def on Thur/Fri to get some work done.  (CPA firm, the work never ends!)

Most Active
Father's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 10 views
Recent Topics
Father's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 10 views
Sunday Weigh In
82much · 2 replies · 45 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 73 views
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 81 views