Checking in... and update

Brian K.
on 1/25/12 8:05 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi Fellas,

So, saw my surgeon last thurs. and I had a few more questions: She is pushing the sleeve hard, I had already decided I wanted RNY, where can I find a logical discussion on the pros and cons of both?   She says after surgery I will be on antacids permanently... anyone else have to do this? She commented that "thankfully my BMI is low for a man" WTH?  I did not see any other manly men there, she seems very nice and I am confident I chose the right surgeon, what is the ratio of men vs. women seeking WLS? I will have ALL my preop stuff complete within the next 8 days, have been told to lose 10 lbs before she will schedule (I started a standard protein and veggies regimen today), and have to pay the non-covered-by-insurance "program fee"... then I will be on my way. Anyone else hit with "fees"?

Glad to be here, keep up the good work everyone!  Brian
jdm511
on 1/25/12 9:01 am - Ballston spa, NY
Funny she said the thing about the antacids, I believe that RNY is a treatment for acid reflux.  Good luck and go with the surgery that you feel fits your life the best and will give you the best results.

J
Don 1962
on 1/25/12 10:01 pm
Brian,

More out of habit than any thing I still take an antacid every morning and I'm RNY almost four years out.

As to a "program fee" since I self paid it was all "program fee"!

There is a VSG board on OH. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

The ladies have the men out numbered at least ten to one.  Go to an OH conference and you'll see what I mean! 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Michael P.
on 1/26/12 12:17 am
 Hi Brian,

Just to speak to the antacid issue.  I had RNY and my surgeon had me on Prilosec for the first 6 months and since I had no issues have not taken any since and I'm almost 1 year out so don't recall hearing that it is antacids for life.  But with the caveat that all people are different...  RNY is still the gold standard (especially when done laparascopically) with over 40 years of history going for it.  The sleeve shows promise but doesn't yet have the history.  Anyway, do your homework and good luck with your decision.

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
cabin111
on 1/26/12 2:46 am, edited 1/26/12 2:55 am
My 2 cents...I'm over 5 years RNY. 2 things against you for the RNY...Your age and your weight. From your photo you look to be under 50. Also in WLS medical terms you are what my surgeon calls a "lightweight". You don't have hundreds of pounds to lose...Sorry you just don't. Concerning the antacids...Wrong!! Very few people need to take them after 6 months or a year with RNY. With the RNY they are taking some of your intestines out...No take backs...No eraseez!! You will have to be on vitamins for the rest of your life...Including many lab checks early on. Also with RNY you should get certain labs every 6 months. Good things about the RNY...Greater weightloss...Faster weightloss...Diabetes gets resolved sooner. Also things like IBS can get resolved.
Good things about VSG...Less malabsorption...You don't have to constantly worry...Is my iron ok?? Is my vitamin D level good?? Less vital organs are removed...The VSG can be converted to a DS or RNY later in life if needed. Also if a better surgery comes along it can converted to that...many many years down the road. Your surgeon is taking the long view...20-30 years...Which is good.
One thing Doc D (on another forum) mentioned about the VSG...There may be problems with blood flow to the new stomach (which looks like a cross between a hot dog and banana)...The procedure is still newer here in the US...The VSG is very popular in europe and many were done there first. But it is an up and coming surgery.
The last time I heard, the ratio from women to men for WLS was 87.5 woman...12.5 for men...But I think that number is now shrinking as more men are biting the bullet and "getter done!!"
Both the VSG and RNY are good surgeries...Your age, weight, and comorbidities (you many need to look that word up...and really understand it) come into play with your decision...
Again, the younger you are and the lighter you are the surgeon will lean more to VSG. The heavier you are and the older you are the surgeon will lean more toward the RNY. Good luck on your journey.
cabin111
on 1/26/12 3:14 am, edited 1/26/12 3:16 am
Below is some of the list of comorbidities...There are many more...

Comorbidities that Factor into Bariatric Surgery Eligibility

Comorbidities are medical conditions that exist in addition to obesity and are often a result of being overweight. Comorbidities are a factor in determining a patient's eligibility for bariatric surgery.
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus - metabolic disorder resulting from the body's inability to produce enough, or to properly use, insulin

• Obstructive sleep apnea - when a person stops breathing during periods of sleep

• Pseudotumor cerebri - increased pressure in the brain which causes chronic headaches and eye problems

• Hypertension - higher than normal pressure inside the arteries

• Dyslipidemias - abnormal concentrations of lipids in the blood

• Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis - fatty inflammation of the liver that is not caused by alcohol damage

• Venous stasis disease - faulty veins that allow blood to collect in the lower legs

• Significant impairment in activities of daily living

• Intertriginous soft tissue infections - infections in excess folds of skin that are caused by obesity

• Stress urinary incontinence - involuntary leakage of urine caused by increased abdominal pressure from excessive body fat

• Gastroesophageal reflux disease - a digestive disorder that is caused by gastric acid flowing from the stomach into the esophagus

• Weight-related arthropathies (joint diseases) which impair physical activity

• Obesity-related psychosocial stress
Mike B.
on 1/26/12 4:32 am
I had the sleeve done on 12/9/11 and have lost 48lbs so far. I was only on antacids for 4 week post-op and I do not take them now or have any reason to. I think if you have over 100lbs to loose, then the RNY might be the choice. If not, I would go with the sleeve. Best of luck.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Charlie S.
on 1/27/12 11:24 pm
Hello!

I agree with everything said before by the other fellas.  I had the sleeve, and love it.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Today, I passed the 100lb mark since surgery a little under 5 months ago.  Yes, weight loss with VSG is usually slower than RNY, but still great if you use it right.  For me, doing my research I decided on it because of my age.  I didn't want malabsorption for that many years, it just increases the odds of problems later in life.    

Ultimately, you have to do the research and figure out what works best for you.  I would leave you with this one final thought.  If you trust your surgeon and think she knows what she is talking about, I would let that factor into your decision.  Also, you might have a good long conversation with her about why she thinks that is the best for you and what she thinks your success rates and complications would likely be for each surgery.

Fees - Yes, I had to pay copays for each visit, pay for labs, pay for pysch (not covered by surgery at all but required prior to surgery), pay for NUT, pay surgeon fee before surgery, and now am making payments on the hospital portion after surgery.

Best of luck!!!!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

Brian K.
on 1/27/12 11:48 pm, edited 1/29/12 3:44 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi everyone,

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed answers to my questions!

I am nearing 50 (49 in a couple months) and have several co-morbidities. My surgeon pushed the sleeve on the basis of fewer possible complications while adding "RNY will be no problem on you". I like the faster/ farther weight loss and know it means supplements for life. To get to the high normal weight for my height I have 100- 120 lbs to lose. I like the track record the RNY has. Cabin111: It has been many moons since I have been called "lightweight", thanks! The photo is quite old, that was a few years after I married, I am nearing "old dude" status now!

Thanks again for the advice, keep up the good work everyone!

Congrats on passing the 100 lbs gone milestone Crijguy!
OneFinger
on 1/29/12 1:07 am, edited 1/29/12 4:57 am
I had RNY surgery in Oct 2010. I'm knocking on the door of 60 and had 120 lbs to drop.

The choice of surgery type was really more a result of what my insurance would approve. My doc was very familiar with the criteria of my insurance provider. RNY was what he could get easily approved for me and I'm very happy with that coice.

I reached my goal weight in about 6 months. All my co-morbities have disappeared. Not having any issues with acid reflux, vitamins, and my blood work shows no problems.

RNY seems to be the more preferred surgery for some insurance programs. But, with some additional history / stats I think the sleeve will become more widely accepted.

Not sure you could go wrong with either surgery.
High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 97 views