3days

Davo
on 3/9/12 8:41 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 Surgery is Monday morning at 10am. I was reveiwing the dietary intake my doctor utilizes.  They dont use protein powders but utilize milk powder.  Apparently they have seen alot of mistakes from high sugar or high cost powders but I digress.  My diet will be alot of yogurt, cottage cheese, and canned tuna and chicken.  However, they had cream of wheat listed (made with milk and fortified with milk powder) of course.  Any experience eating cream of wheat on stage one or two,  I understand not the most riveting post but just looking for some stage one ideas.
kenhud1
on 3/9/12 8:53 pm - Houston, TX
I am assuming that you are having RNY although it's not listed in your profile. Understand that everyone reacts differently to foods and in fact you may react differently from one day to the next. I lived on things like cream of wheat, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc for quite some time based on my doctor's recommendations and a stricture and gall bladder issue that took a while to work out. No problems with any of them.

Chicken and tuna were both a different story for me. I had an episode with tuna early on that has kept me away from it even though I probably caused the problem by adding mayo and not chewing enough.

I guess to boil it down, just listen to your doc and to your body. They will both give you good advice.

Good luck with your surgery on Monday.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Davo
on 3/10/12 12:11 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 yes RNY trying to get that edited in my profile.  Just trying to nail down some alteratives to yogurt and cottage cheese for two weeks.
kenhud1
on 3/10/12 12:18 am - Houston, TX
There is a pretty good chance that for the first few weeks, you won't really want anything. It took several weeks for me until I really cared what was going into my mouth. The taste buds just didn't work and the desires were gone. I knew I had to eat and to that end put myself on a schedule so I didn't just skip meals. From what I read, I wasn't that unusual in that respect.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Davo
on 3/10/12 12:40 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 so what did you eat stage 1 and 2 ,  my team is not a big believer n the protein powders they use milk powder and dont want me drinking my meals
kenhud1
on 3/10/12 4:37 am - Houston, TX
My plan was probably different than yours, but here goes...
The first two weeks I was on all liquids, nothing soft, nothing mushy, nothing but liquids. It did not matter what it was as long as it was liquid. I had a lot of fruit juice, broths, soups such as tomato, some milk, but nothing even as solid as yogurt.

I progressed to soft foods such as cottage cheese, yogurt, ricotta cheese, soupy oatmeal, etc for several more weeks and then added soft eggs, mashed potatoes with gravy, etc. it was close,to two months before I really had anything of substance. And, I didn't miss it, really.

I have to this date done no protein drinks. They make me nauseous as does anything artificially sweetened. I eat protein bars at least once a day as a meal -usually for breakfast and a 4pm snack.

I added fresh fruits as soon as I was able, and still do not eat much meat, although I do have more now than I did. I still eat a lot of yogurt - at least once a day.

As our can see, my doctor appears to have been far more conservative in consumption of solids that is yours, although I had less sugar restrictions and have nt been bothered with dumping on sugar.

My best advice is to make sure anything you eat is moist and well chewed. Both are important if you want to avoid enjoying your meals a second time coming from the other direction!
KenHud

dan434
on 3/10/12 11:55 pm - NJ
RNY on 05/22/12
Ken what kind of protien bars do you eat
kenhud1
on 3/11/12 12:36 am - Houston, TX
I try to look for those with a higher amount of protein than sugar, which can be hard. However since I don't dump on sugar, it may be less important for me than for others. I like Pure Protein and Zone, but I also buy others I find. WalMart had a new brand out that was cheap (about $5 a box) that have 20+ grams of protein. I only saw two flavors, chocolate and peanut butter. Both are good.
KenHud

Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 43 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views