Beef Jerky and Broasted skinless chicken

Davo
on 3/17/12 11:21 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 any experience with these early on or at any particular dietary phase.  Are either on your menu and how often.
cabin111
on 3/17/12 1:12 pm, edited 3/17/12 1:16 am
Roasted chicken can work...Remember that you test everything. Very small amounts eaten to mush (puree) texture. Wait at least a month before you try beef. Beef is harder to digest. The easiest meats to digest are chicken, turkey, tuna, and hard boiled eggs. The next hardest is beef and different fish-salmon (including plain shrimp). The hardest of all is pork, and wild meats (deer). You shouldn't try por****il you are several months along. Also when you try something new, try it at home...You don't want to be dry heaving in the middle of nowhere.
Small amounts and puree...If you don't believe me watch and see what happens...
As the months go by it becomes easier and easier...But for the first month or so just follow the program put before you. Brian PS If something doesn't sit right with the pouch...Wait a few months and try it again...Something that don't sit well will be OK after time. Something you may never be able to go back to. I've heard some RNYers say they can never go back to beef. I can eat pork...But for the first 5-6 months it never sat well in my pouch. I can eat it, but only a bite or two. I never order it...Listen to your pouch, over time he will let you know!!
kenhud1
on 3/17/12 10:28 pm - Houston, TX
Brian has good advice here. Jerky can be very challenging as it is hard to chew properly. It's a good source of protein and easy to find in a pinch, bu****ch it. Ground beef, of all things, was and still is a challenge for me. You'd thing that being ground would help, but for some reason I have issues with it regardless of the fat content. I still avoid it.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Davo
on 3/18/12 2:11 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 I dont plan on eating any for awhile.  I did have some corn beef and cabbage this weekeend, blenderized of course.  about a tablespoon at a time.  Trying to sample difference things each day.  had canned chicken and mayo, tuna, eggs , yogurt, anything undr 10g sugar and 10g fat with protein on the menu list.  Everything I eat is through the blender and eaten over 30 minutes with no fluids,.  Of course two glasses of milk a day and 3-4 bottles of water.  Now that gas pain is gone things are going well I think. 
kenhud1
on 3/18/12 9:50 am - Houston, TX
It really sounds like you are trouble-free so far. Keep up the diligence in sticking with your doctor's meal plan. As with everything else, your success with WLS depends on your desire to work the plan.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 7:10 am - CA
Since surgery, I've had quite a few problems with meat in general--regardless of whether it's chicken, beef, pork, ham, etc.  So I am just taking my time and seeing how my body reacts with little bites of meat and making sure it's chewed a lot.

Tofu tends to work for me, again, in little bites and without a lot of extra stuff (read:  fats) added to it.  Some months back I tried some Tofu Jerky, which oddly enough, was quite tasty, and seemed to digest okay.  I found some at an Asian supermarket--sesame flavor.
Davo
on 5/1/12 11:47 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 I still have issues with meat,  Ground turkey is ok if I take my time as is tuna, most fish, and canned chicken but I really got to take my time.  I eat a lot of yogurt and a fair amount of cottage cheese.  Chicken wing meat is ok too but again eatiing real slow otherwise I get foamies.  I have just had a craving for beef jerky so another 2-3 weeks I will try a bit see how it goes.  I am only 6 weeks out so still pretty early so i try to take it easy on the new stomach.   I just spoke with my nut she said eat any protein I want but eat it carefully and always watch sugars and fats.  I am only taking in about 700 calories right now so I dont eat much besides proteing and a daily applesauce/ and 100 oz of liquid
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 43 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views