Noob questions...

Brian K.
on 5/27/12 10:17 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hello Gents,

A few random questions I have that may also help other noobs:

From 1 month to 6 months out, with RNY, what is an average weekly weight loss? I am starting my day with a protein bar (200 cal, 20 g. protein), during the day I usually have chicken and black beans, for dinner chicken or fish. No added calories except for sugar in my single cup of coffee each day. I know I am often light on my protein goal of 60-70g. a day, fluids are usually close at 40-60 oz. a day. This puts me at 600 calories a day...    My loss of 4 lbs a week does not jive with my intake or activity level, I am using up most of my intake at the gym 2-4 times a week. Does significant weight loss before surgery mean more modest losses after? Did I cut short my honeymoon by losing 40 lbs before it even started? 

I seldom have any symptoms associated with my RNY, only occasional discomfort if I eat too fast. But... I underestimated (thought it was a myth) that the hormonal changes would turn me into a weepy girly-man. How long does this stage last?

I have a "movement" twice a week at most and have needed a laxative/ softener once when I got nervous after no action in 6 days... normal? 

I see my surgeon 6-5 for my 6 week followup and labs, post surgery loss should be around 35 lbs = 5.8 lbs a week average... Maybe I am micro-managing this whole deal?

As always,  Brian

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Don 1962
on 5/27/12 10:26 pm
Six days between BM's is little too long.  Should be going at least once every two-three days tops if not every day.

As long as you are in ketosis, rapid weight loss phase, the hormones will be out of whack.  When your rate of loss slows and your body can catch up to what is going on they will calm back down.  No shame in your game to get professional help if you think you need it.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Brian K.
on 5/27/12 10:46 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi Don,

No shame in your game to get professional help if you think you need it. 

Usually I am the one saying this! I think this aspect of our health care and the stigma attached to it need to be brought out of the shadows and talked about. Often we as men think seeking support for our mental health means we are weak or less that what a man should be... this is simply not the case!  Bravo to you!

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Tim T.
on 5/28/12 12:39 am - Eastham, MA
Brian,
As you up your excercise level you may want to consider increasing your calorie intake. 5+ lbs. a week is pretty impressive and that will slow down at some point. Your system could enter starvation mode and your body will think you're starving it and try to hang on to every calorie it can. When my weight loss stalled, I actually ate more and it started moving again. You're early out and losing at a pretty good clip, just keep doing what you're doing and make sure you ask these questions at your next Dr. appointment!
p.s. I lost 40 lbs. pre-op and hit my goal weight at 10 months out but the 40 took 6 months to lose. Your body should get to where it wants to be if you stick to the program

cabin111
on 5/28/12 4:22 am

Is that all the food and water you can fit in during a day?  Watch for the signs of dehydration.  What I'm about to say may or may not be good advice.  You are in a different boat because you were so close to goal when you had surgery and are reaching goal quicker (men lose faster than women).  Consider adding some vegetables to your diet.  Things like, broccoli, kidney beans (Wendy's Chili), spinach.  These are high in potassium and could help a small amount with being regular.  The daily iron may also be causing the bowel problem.
Two other thoughts.  Put some protein on the nightstand at night (just 1 oz cottage cheese, plain yogurt, protein shake with milk).  If you have to pee in the middle of the night have what's on the nightstand.  The other thought is add a very small amount of fruit to your diet.  This might not be the right time since you need as much protein as you can or risk the loss of muscle mass.  But, by adding a small amount of fruit to your diet it could help with the BM.  It could also cause you to dump!!  So be careful.  This may not be a good idea, but you are unique with at what point you started your weightloss, the amount of exercise you are doing, and you being so near your goal.  These are just thoughts.  Good luck on your journey...Brian  PS The hormone dump lasts as long as you are in rapid weightloss...  

cabin111
on 5/28/12 4:34 am
PSS  You are going to hit your goal and fast!!  It is just a fact.  You can't help but hit it because of the size of your pouch.  The concern now (big concern) is keeping the muscle mass.  I believe you will need to add complex carbs earlier in your diet that most (if not all) RNY patients.  You have a unique situation and your surgeon, PCP, dietitian/nutritionist need to know these things.
kenhud1
on 5/28/12 5:10 am - Houston, TX
The one thing that I have learned is that we are all different in our journeys. Normal seems all but impossible to define.

That said, 6 days between BMs is too long for comfort. I take 3 generic Colace stool softeners and a dose of generic Miralax every day. I hate that I need to do this, but I've been unable to get regular without it. This regimen seems better than the discomfort of constipation.

I'd agree with Don that the hormones can get hairy. I've taken antidepressants for years, but even with the pills, the hormones turned me into a raving maniac for a while. It does get better. For me, I guess it was about 6 months until I began to feel normal, although it seemed much longer.

And, I also agree that you should probably vary our diet some and keep your body guessing as to the calories that are coming. If you can stay out of starvation mode by taking slightly more calories you will likely be better off.

Ken
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

billmacc7
on 5/28/12 6:52 am - MA
Hello Brian,

I noticed a lot of good suggestions and advice from other members, but thought I would add my own input.

Couple points:

A. In terms of the "average" weight loss for us, it really is an individual journey. Some lose a lot, some a litte, some in the middle. Further, some lose fast, others quick, still others moderately. That said, there really is now definitve way to define what is normal. I always tell people that NORMAL is a setting on a washing machine, not a way to gauge our journey on Weight Loss. The main thing is that your logging your food(at least I still do even 18 months out), focusing on Protein, Lot of water, and exercising.

B.   In terms of not feeling the affects of RNY, that again is an individual situation. Myself, I felt like my journey was pretty basic, Surgery, out after 2 days, 3 weeks of recovery, back to work and inside of a few months feeling no particular physical issuse from the whole process. The psychological though is still a challenge. The hormonal changes can be significant and I have had my share of struggles. Sought assistance through a variety of sources and now am in  a  pretty good place!

C. The "movement" situation is note worthy. I def would adress with your doc or pcp as you don't want any plumbing problems.

D. When meeting w/ ur surgeon on 6/5 be sure to bring up ALL OF THESE CONCERNS. They are very helpful and can provide guidance and support.

Yours in WLS,
Bill

ps Thanks for the kind post on the Sunday Weigh In, kind of you to say! 
Brian K.
on 5/29/12 11:23 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi friends,

Thank you all so very much for the input! I appreciate being a part of the group, it makes the process much easier.

Yes, I am battling with trying to get food in me. During the week I am running constantly, work does not really permit multiple food breaks during the day. I am burned out on lunch meat, cottage cheese, chicken chunks, tuna, and all the go-to foods. I start the day with a "Pure Protein" bar because of this and try to get a lunch out of Chili or Beans and Chicken. At the end of the day I will pick up a Rotisserie Chicken, strip the skin and fat off the legs and eat that. The legs tend to be tender and stay in the pouch well. I will slice the breast too and eat it sans the skin till it gets too dry (usually no good after the second day). Weekends I try to get in eggs, more chicken, and some fish.

My hunger has not returned and eating is a real turn-off right now. I have not dumped yet because nothing sweet or fatty appeals to me. I am uncomfortably full after 3 oz. of food and have trained myself to walk away before it gets to that.

I have resolved to take a softener/ laxative a couple times a week. It had been years since I had a bout with hemorrhoids, their return is not welcome or appreciated!

Emotionally I have just not been myself. I am highly in tune with my mental self because I too was diagnosed many years ago with depression. I have had my meds upped and am managing but with my family issues right now I am extremely emotional... not raging at all just down and weepy. This all comes with life, no worries, I have my big boy pants on and know how to get help if things take a turn for the worse.

Thanks again my friends for all the help and support!

Brian

Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 97 views