Protein

Davo
on 7/30/12 10:13 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 I am now down 98 pounds.  I am instructed to keep my proteins at 70 grams range and limit other foods to keep calories down which I do.  I dont exercise as much as I should and weight loss wise I have no complaints.  I am wondering what you others have done for proteins.  I eat cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurts, small amounts of eggs and small pieces of meats, some chili, lunchmeats I hate greek yogurt it flat out sucks.  I have no problem eating unless I try and get 70 grams of protein in by eating meats and cheeses.  I cant nor do I want to eat that much.  My struggle is in my dieticians advice she does not like protein shakes or protein bars, she feels they are expensive, too much sugar and do not promote healthy eating.  I add 200 calories and 25 gr protein for my bar or choice and 250 and 25gr for my shake (6 ice cubes 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 scoop protein powder, sweetn low, and sugar free drink with water to make liquid for about 24 oz.  I usually have one or the other each day.  My calorie count stays around 650-850 give or take 100.  Quite honestly eating is a pain in the ass and a proteinbar or shake is just easier and I like the taste but I suppose long term the goal is to eat normal.  Normal for me seems to not be normal for any nonsurgery person as everyone aroung me is eatinbg brats and beer.   I also have not stuck to the 3 meals no snacks routine I again am not able to eat enough in my opinion in 3 meals so I rely on calories and protein amounts and eat 4-6 times a day smaller amounts.  Everything I eat is under 10gr of fat 10 gr of sugar except the 2 beers I have had this summer.  So can you offer and criticisms or comments, flaws etc short and long term.  I know all about the alcohol dangers so dont need input on that mainly foods, proteins, ,meal times, any snacking what ever you do that gets you through the day.  I have been much more active but I have not been hitting the pavement like I should, working on that.  I am very happy with 100 pounds in 4 months just want to not relapse, stay true and honest with myself and be healthy and happy. drinkin plenty of liquids no issues there and eat some form of veggies each day in small amounts.  All my labs and a1c are excellent and I am no longer diabetic.
Don 1962
on 7/30/12 10:52 am
Sounds to me like you got a good program going contrary to what your dietitian is telling you.  Find a new dietitian.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Sam LifeNerd
on 7/30/12 11:08 pm
 It was 6 months out before I really felt like doing much exercising and such, and when you are eating only 6-800 calories there is just not a lot of energy to WANT to exercise.

Obviously others have done more during that time and it is a good thing if you do, but I really slacked from Sept to April after my surgery.

I also had ZERO desire for food during that time and had to do 2 shakes or so a day just to hit my protein goals.  (As per my dieticians advice...)

As I started getting my appetite back, I also had the energy to workout and wahlah!!

I hated greek yogurt too.. but ate some yesterday for the first time in a LONG time and it was ok.  Not great but ok.  I am also discovering the love for Starbucks drinks with protein powder mixed in (10g per scoop) and getting them LIGHT so they are not too sugarly/fatty.

You sound like you are doing the RIGHT thing for you and your body at the moment!  Low fat, good protein...

kenhud1
on 7/31/12 5:21 am - Houston, TX
I know that we all want to believe 100% of what our medical team says, but sometimes the nut / dietician are too concerned with "how it should be" in order to understand how real life really works. I think no one is 100% at anything, so find a plan that works for you and you are comfortable with. Then, stick with it. You need to live with the plan; and you won't be able to stick to it unless it's comfortable for you.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Davo
on 7/31/12 6:19 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 Thanks for the feed back.  As I mentioned trying to find my normal whatever that is.  That is why hearing from those of you in the trenches living a life post surgery is so helpful.  I expect everyone has their habits good and bad and trying to find the balance makes me a bit apprehensive at times for concern of returning to a pattern of poor choices. Of course I am a long way away from eating a whole pizza for dinner or a sleeve of oreos for breakfast but I am not going back down that road.
Brian K.
on 7/31/12 6:24 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hello Compadre,

I could have written your post... I too start my day with a protein bar and that is the only way I make it to my daily protein goal. My hunger has returned which threatens to derail me but other than that I do what you do. I think eating sucks too but we must do it. My day; protein bar, cottage cheese with fruit in it, sandwich on a 100 calorie sandwich thin stuffed with as much meat as I can stand, dinner is meat rich with sometimes a little starch. Get up the next day and repeat...

Keep up what you are doing, energy and stamina will return, so will the desire to eat. Good job, tell your Nut we said so!
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Davo
on 7/31/12 6:34 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 Good luck to you as well.  I started hitting the sandwich thins as well but I can only eat a half of one usually with a little egg salad or turkey.  I eat 3-4 yogurts a day mostly activia as it is below 10g sugar and fat.  I wish protein bars were a little more protein and less sugars and calories
Brian K.
on 7/31/12 6:42 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi Davo,

I look at my protein bars like this: I have to eat something for breakfast, 5 days a week I need fast, with protein, while I drive to work... I can't get that much good for so few calories (200) anywhere else! I wa**** down with my home brew coffee and I am full till my 9 am fruity cottage cheese...

Btw, what bar has 25g. and 200 cal?

Brian
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
twotontunic
on 7/31/12 1:26 pm - Nashville, TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 Try quest brand.
cabin111
on 7/31/12 7:23 am
Nuts to you!!  No, not that...try some nuts.  Maybe some plain walnuts, almonds, dry roasted peanuts (watch the added sugars), sunflower seeds, roasted soy nuts.  All of these have healthy oils, but have a lot of calories...so don't go hog wild on them.  I keep a few in my pockets...In case I'm in the middle of nowhere. 
You might want to try your own crock pots of beef or chicken with vegetables...Add a ton of spices for flavor.  I do it and freeze 3/4 of it and pull in out of the freezer for later.  Also a good quality chicken or beef vegetable soup can be good...Go with good quality (watch the ingredients).  Brian
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 43 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views