Wife is nagging...

Brian K.
on 8/4/12 9:22 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 My wife says I look emaciated and that everyone asks her if "I am ill". Is it just the dramatic change? Is she undermining me because she is carrying a few extra pounds? My BMI is 27.2 down from 42 which is "slightly overweight". My personal goal is 160 which is right in the middle of my ideal range, I am 19 pounds out from that. She is insisting on going to my next Nut and Surgeon appointment so she can raise hell. What to do?   :-)
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Don 1962
on 8/4/12 10:45 pm

Undermining? Not necessarily.  My speculation is that she is getting tired of you getting all the attention and her having to do all the explaining. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Brian K.
on 8/4/12 11:11 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi Don,

Yes, she does care what people think... and I don't! It is the whispers from her sisters who have never seen me at less than 285 lbs that get to her. "are you sure he is not sick or something", and "is Brian feeling OK?" F 'em all I say! I feel fantastic and love my new life.
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
kenhud1
on 8/4/12 11:04 pm - Houston, TX
I do understand your concern. I had a similar issue and it's frustration although no one threatened to chew out the nut on my behalf. I simply told everyone that I was just going to allow my body to "normalize" based in its reaction to my new diet and lifestyle. It didn't shut anyone up, but made me feel better!
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Brian K.
on 8/4/12 11:14 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Hi Ken,

I told her the nut is going to laugh at her... wait till she sees what the Nut looks like- 105 lbs soaking wet, all legs and ehem, breasts.
kenhud1
on 8/5/12 12:33 am - Houston, TX
I might suggest that you refrain from telling the wife that you even noticed the -- ehem. -- breasts. Or for that matter that you'd even imagined this woman soaking wet, unless you want the nagging to take an immediate change in content.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Brian K.
on 8/5/12 1:18 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
LOL, yes I have 23 years of service in... Been there, done that!
John A.
on 8/4/12 11:23 pm - Cambridge, Canada
When I first heard the words.. "You're getting too thin" I automatically thought they were kidding... but a lot of people said  that to me.. and my kids kept asking.."how do you stop loosing"..  My wife was very supportive although I did see her roll her eyes when I'd run from the scale worried that I gained a pound (normal fluctuation) and a couple times she said.. "Relax Anna".. (short for anorexic)

I think when you are loosing weight rapidly you do look gaunt, and maybe even a bit sickly.. but after your weight stabilizes for awhile, you seem to fit into your skin..  Maybe it's just that people get used to seeing you thin after awhile.

I'm approximately the same weight after 2 years that I was after 1 year, but people tell me I look better now.. Although I have lots of wrinkled, puckered loose skin under my clothes I think possibly my face has "tightened up" a bit..  but it might also be that I'm now wearing size appropriate clothes that fit, instead of loose clothes that were way too big for me.

When we're really obese we can loose 20 or 30 pounds and nobody even notices. When we start to approach a somewhat normal size people are full of compliments. When we start to get thin (or what is actually a healthy BMI) people start to worry.. because this last transformation is the most drastic.. and eh.. maybe they are a little jealous too. Most adults over 30 carry 10-30 pounds extra and all of sudden you are slimmer than them.

If your blood work is all normal, and you feel great and have lots of energy, then I wouldn't worry about it.. Let your wife got with you.. maybe she just needs to hear from a professional that this
is normal and VERY healthy.

Tim T.
on 8/5/12 1:15 am - Eastham, MA
 Hey Brian-
This is precisely the stuff that they have a psycologist in the program for. My shrink told me at the first appointment to expect these kind of comments and worse from strangers to yer other half. It's how you deal with them that matters. Don't forget- you did what you did for yourself- even though your actions may benefit loved ones in the big picture. 

Try to keep in mind that people (especially people who are overweight themselves) who look at your transformation, lifestyle change and attitude are generally looking into a mirror and are seeing something that they could be if they had the stones to do what you did. Alot of people don't and probably never will and that perhaps brings out the jealousy and contempt- hence the comments and attitude. Worry about what your doing and not about what other people are saying about what you're doing. In simpler terms -f--k 'em. Sorry if it sounds harsh, and I'm trying not to sound like I'm riding on a high horse, but it is what it is.

I am currently into the tail end of a family reunion being hosted at my house. Every adult in my immediate family - everyone except me- is either obese or needs a reality check regarding their health, mainly eating and drinking habits. And I mean EVERYONE. My younger brother, bloated and ****faced wound up calling me and asshole and said **** you to me several times as a result (as far as I can gather) about making a comment about registering for road races. Did it bother me? Sure did, but I can't waste my time letting someone bring me down because I'm trying to improve my life. So I responded by getting up this morning and running a 5 miler before anyone else was up. And then I cooked breakfast for everyone in the house. I'm not even sure if he realized what an asshole he was being to me last night. And he was too hungover to apologize, and left with just a handshake. Oh well.... you get the point.

Don 1962
on 8/5/12 3:58 am

Have not had any bad blood with my older brother over WLS but he has made it clear he would not consider it.  He's MO, BMI of 50+, BP, diabetic etc but is scared ****less of going under the knife. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In