Sunday morning weigh-in, is Summer done edition?

Brian K.
on 8/19/12 5:26 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
Morning gents!

My Stats:

High weight: 296
Weight at initial consult 1-19-2012: 269
Weight at surgery 4-23-12: 230
Last week: 179
This week: 177
Total weight lost: 92

I don't know what your climate is like right now but here in MA summer just ended overnight... Cold and rainy but there is still time to get out and do some fun things I bet. I am writing this on my tablet by the beach and it is dead except for a few walkers who are out here rain or shine.

Flat line for me this week, not too displeased. I got a comment on my baggy pants at work this week so for fun I tried on a size 34 jean yesterday, they fit no problem... I have never been in a 34 before, I jumped right from kids sizes to a 40 I think! So I will take that for my fart this week.

Have a great day, get out and find some fun, see you next week!

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Tim T.
on 8/19/12 6:13 am - Eastham, MA
Stats: 8/19/2012 Highest Weight: 315 Start Weight: 1/1/2011 305 Tufts Start Weight- May 2011: 285 Surgery Weight-7/5/2011: 265 Weight last Sunday Weigh-in: 169 Current Weight: 169 Goal Weight: 170ish Lbs. gained/lost this week 0 Total loss from Start Weight: 136 LBS.
Brian-
The reason no one is on the beach in your neck of the woods is because they're all on the frickin' Cape!! The traffic here is ballistic- the restaurants are packed even during the middle of the week and there is no shortage of accidents, road rage and impatient ******** Couple more weeks of that, then the seniors roll in on the bus tours. Meanwhile, I get to navigate through this daily, as I live and work here. Life in paradise- what can I say??!! OK, I'm done ranting!

Nothing new to report here in the WLS zone- just finishing my breakfast frittatta with pan seared scallops, portabello mushrooms, steak tips and egg beaters blasted under the broiler with a little shredded cheese. My older brother has been working on a commercial scallop boat in Hyannis and showed up at my house with about 20 lbs. of ultra-fresh sea scallops. I put them in the vac-seal bags and have a few choice meals for the dead of winter. Oh, yeah, and about ten pounds of fresh flounder fillets. 

As I sit here and type, I am anticipating the medium range run ( I'm thinking the 7.5 mile neighborhood loop) I will embark on when the frittatta has shot through the hoop. You know that whole business with "runners high" and endorphins? It's all true! When I am done with that kind of exercise, yeah, my muscles are sore for a few hours and then I get this kick of energy that is like a crack pipe ( I imagine- never done it) and makes me start thinking about and looking forward to the next time I can do it. Doesn't matter if it's the first thing in the morning or after a full day of work. It's truly amazing that after abusing my body the way I did for so many years, I'ts in the kind of shape to do that stuff. I'll keep going for as long as I can and see what happens. I can do it by myself- no teams- no buddies- no schedule, just when the urge hits me and there is a window of opportunity. 

Hope the rest of you guys are doing OK this week- I'll post if something special comes up - always lurking!

Tim T.

Michael P.
on 8/19/12 6:20 am
Hi Guys,

I hear you about the weather in MA.  I took the dog for a walk this morning and it feels like Fall just came in.  Can't say that I didn't love it though!!  My kind of weather.  Sunny and 70's with no humidity!!  Tim, I feel for you on the cape.  I grew up in Plymouth and we dealt with the same thing (although its 100 times worse now-a-days).  As soon as Labor Day weekend passes it is once again paradise!!  Good to hear about your runs.  I am kicking it in again tomorrow.  Packing my gym bag and heading to the gym before work, even if it kills me...

Anyway, here goes:

This Week's Stats (lbs): 
506.5: All time high 9/9/9 (WW start) - BMI = 63.3
492.4: Tufts Medical Center Program Start 9/20/10
462.5: Lap RNY Surgery day 2/7/11
291.6: Last Week 8/12/12 
293.6: This Week 8/19/12 -->  2 Lbs Gained - BMI = 36.8
212.9 lbs Total Weight Loss    

I gained two pounds this past week.  It was a rough, emotional week and I ended up turning to my old friend salty junk food for some mental comfort...   

The week started out fantastic being on vacation in Bartlett, NH (just west of North Conway).  One of my all time favorite places in the world and we had hiking, tubing, swimming and much more planned for the week.  Well, so much for all of the best made plans...  I got a call last Wednesday afternoon from my sister that my dad was incoherent, slurring and the side of his face was droopy and that he refused to let anyone around call an ambulance or take him to the hospital.  Well, I'm about five hours away from him at this point and while I was on the phone with him my wife called 911 from NH.  Thank goodness we did as he had a small blood vessel stroke.  He spent two nights in the hospital with a million tests and is now thankfully back in his own house doing well and the prognosis is good.  Physically he is pretty good but has a little slurred speech that should come back pretty well.  Dodged a bullet with this one...  Needless to say, vacation was cut short and we were back with him in the hospital on Thursday.

To explain the stroke, the neurologist said that there are two veins that lead to the back of your brain and in my dad both are pretty constricted with cholesterol (now we know his numbers are off the charts - literally 35+ years of high fat - low carb Atkins Diets! Let this be a warning to folks that a balanced diet with lean proteins and exercise are the key...).  Anyway, my mother refused to put Air Conditioners in her house because she was afraid the electric bill would be too high (btw, they own 3 window units) and my 74 year old dad was home all day in the 95+ degree weather and got himself dehydrated to a point where one of those two constricted veins (left side of his brain) had collapsed and caused the stroke.  Thank God we got him in the hospital when we did or it would have been a lot worse.  He is now on a blood thinner, aspirin and a statin to help control the high cholesterol.

So, in and out of the hospital and running around all week, caused me to make bad eating decisions and restaurant choices and for whatever reason I felt like the only thing that relaxed me was salty, chippy type snacks.  They have now been purged from my house and things are going to be returning to "normal" as I head back to work tomorrow so I will be able to right the ship.  I knew I had to be accountable to myself and to the forum this morning just to make sure that I didn't slip any further.  I feel too damn good to let it go!

I have opening day for my daughter's Fall Ball Softball Team (The Wildcats as in Arizona) this coming weekend.  I am the Fall Ball director so in addition to managing a team I am running the Fall Ball League, Concession, etc... and have a crazy week in store for me with last minute preparations for that.

Here's to a much better week coming up and to doing things that keep me active!

Regards,
Mike

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
Brian K.
on 8/19/12 7:31 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Mike,

Sorry to hear of your dad's setback. Give him a big 'ol hug every chance you get! Hoping he feels back to normal soon.

Brian
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Michael P.
on 8/19/12 8:53 am
 Thanks Brian.  I will do that and can't wait to get him out fishing again soon.  Regards, Mike

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
kenhud1
on 8/19/12 9:56 am - Houston, TX
Mike,
Sorry to hear about your dad. I wish him the best in his recovery.
Ken
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Michael P.
on 8/19/12 10:01 am
 Thanks Ken.  He is on a "Heart Healthy" diet now.   Its actually good for both him and my mom.  The only thing that needs a litte work is his speech.  Just a little bit of time and he should be good as new.  A big wakeup call...  Regards, Mike

Charlie S.
on 8/19/12 1:37 pm
Mike - Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Hope he makes a full recovery with the speech and health. 
Michael P.
on 8/20/12 3:59 am
Thanks Charlie.  It is appreciated.  Saw him yesterday and believe it or not he looks better than he has in a long time.  Color, demeanor, etc...  Crazy what it takes!!

OldmanJim
on 8/19/12 2:25 pm - AZ
Sorry to hear about your dad's stroke.  It's a good thing you and you and your wife reacted the right way and dialed 911.  I have a neighbor (81) who when he is having severe chest pains refuses to let his wife call 911.  She runs over here and wants me to take him to the hospital.  Of course we call 911 just like you did.  People don't realize that every minute counts with a stroke or heart attack.  I can't get her to just ignore his refusal to call 911.  It's not because of money or anything like that.  It's good that your dad is going to fully recover.

On a another response to your post this morning I have to inform you that I am no longer an official rooter for your daughter's softball team, the ********.  I can't even type that dirty word.  You see back in 1972 I had my best assignment in the Army and I was assigned to ASU (Arizona State University - Tempe, AZ) ROTC program.  Because of that assignment when I retired in 1982 we decided to move back to AZ and settled in the NW part of Phoenix.  Needless to say I am a die hard "Sun Devil" fan with a distinct dislike for anything named ********.  I'm sure you can see my point.  Maybe next time you could pick a name like the "Sun Devils" or the " Diamondbacks"  and you will have backing.

Jim    LOL!   
Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In