Hernia

billmacc7
on 12/13/12 11:19 am - MA

Hi All,

I went for a physical today. I weighed in at 202 so pretty happy as that puts my total loss from 346 to 202 as I approach my 2 year Surgiversary on 12/27/12.

One thing that did come up during the physical is that I have a hernia. I believe it is called a venal(sp?) hernia. He gave me a referral for a surgeon who some time ago did surgery to remove my gall bladder, which was about 5 years before I had my WLS.  My primary care doc is aware I had Gastric Bypass Surgery and said this does occur in patients who have had this procedure done.

My big question is this:  Should I contact the WLS hospital to have it done there or just go with the doc who did my gall bladder?

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated!

Yours in WLS,

Bill Mac

Andrew L.
on 12/13/12 11:47 am - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12

Which surgeon do you feel more comfortable with?

ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

califsleevin
on 12/13/12 12:25 pm - CA

An Inquinal hernia, perhaps? That's the "turn your head and cough" type. Umbilical and incisional hernias are also common after WLS (or other abdominal surgeries.) Either doc who you are comfortable with should be able to do the job. Another option, if you are so inclined and the timing is right, is to let the hernia help pay for any reconstruction/plastic surgery that you might be considering for removing excess skin left after the weight loss. The insured hernia job pays for the basic hospitalization and its basic surgical costs while the patient pays the delta cost for the additional surgery done at the same time.

Just another route to consider.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

billmacc7
on 12/14/12 8:11 am - MA

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to contact the hospital where I had WLS and seek guidance and suggestion to them a about how to proceed before deciding what to do.

Again, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!!

Best,

Bill Mac

Sam LifeNerd
on 12/17/12 10:01 pm

I would lean towards the WLS folks, mostly because they may have "other" things to consider while they are in there anyway.  (Tightening up the pouch for example if desired?)

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 32 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 32 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 68 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 91 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 101 views