High weight: 296 

Weight at initial consult 1-19-2012: 269 

Weight at surgery 4-23-12: 230 

Last week: 181

This week: 183

Total weight lost: 86

Body Fat 18%

Howdy Gents,

Summer finally arrived here on the East Coast of the US, mid 90's the last few days but mellowing as we go into the first of the week. You guys down south likely see it as mild but man I think that is hot!

Back up a tick so i guess I am officially struggling with regain, have got to get my priorities back in order. I see my NUT and Surgeon mid June and would rather not show a 10 lb gain since my last visit... I think i will go back to tracking my food and must push to get beck into the gym more regularly.

I will see you all next Sunday.

Brian

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Don 1962
on 6/1/13 11:23 pm

331.0:  All time high 3/10/08
321.0:  Surgery day 4/7/08
184.0:  GOAL!! 1/13/09
173.0:  1 yr Surgiversary 4/7/09 and at 18 months
171.5:  2 yr Surgiversary (Dr. scales)
175.5:  3 rd Surgiversary (his scales in shorts and t-shirt)
170.2:  4 th Surgiversary

173.2:  5 th Surgiversary (Official)
171.6:  Last week
172.0:  This week

Mid nineties are the mid nineties.  Not the heat but humidity that does me in.  Did the entire yard yesterday and sweated like the proverbial woman of ill repute in a house of worship!  My redneck is a little redder from catching some sun while I was going in circles.

Busy ass week this week.  Work Monday and Tuesday, throw in one more dance lesson, do some rat killing Wednesday then head to Conroe for the rehearsal and nuptials Thursday and Friday. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Brian K.
on 6/7/13 7:26 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
On June 2, 2013 at 6:23 AM Pacific Time, Don 1962 wrote:

331.0:  All time high 3/10/08
321.0:  Surgery day 4/7/08
184.0:  GOAL!! 1/13/09
173.0:  1 yr Surgiversary 4/7/09 and at 18 months
171.5:  2 yr Surgiversary (Dr. scales)
175.5:  3 rd Surgiversary (his scales in shorts and t-shirt)
170.2:  4 th Surgiversary

173.2:  5 th Surgiversary (Official)
171.6:  Last week
172.0:  This week

Mid nineties are the mid nineties.  Not the heat but humidity that does me in.  Did the entire yard yesterday and sweated like the proverbial woman of ill repute in a house of worship!  My redneck is a little redder from catching some sun while I was going in circles.

Busy ass week this week.  Work Monday and Tuesday, throw in one more dance lesson, do some rat killing Wednesday then head to Conroe for the rehearsal and nuptials Thursday and Friday. 

Welcome back to Shawshank buddy! Hope all is well and you enjoy many years of wedded bliss!

Brian (24 years of service to the queen!)

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Don 1962
on 6/8/13 12:14 am

Guess I've been "institutionalized" and felt the need to revoke my own parole. 

Brian K.
on 6/8/13 9:44 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12

LOL,  At least you are in good company. 24 years ago tomorrow I was under a spell too... what was I thinking?  :-)

kenhud1
on 6/2/13 12:34 am - Houston, TX
It's been while, but I still see some of my old buddies' faces here...I logged a four year anniversary on May 9, and have been doing well. I've gained a small amount, but far and away better and healthier than ever...or so I thought. Last Monday, Memorial Day, I started with some stomach paid after lunch that very quickly became severe. I started to vomit blood and decided it was not the time to tough it out.

Today, nearly a week later I'm back home after what was called a 'life threatening' surgery (thanks to the medical community for that realization ... why should I be blissfully ignorant that I might have died?)

The drugs are making it hard to piece together, but my pouch became 'necrotic.' For those of us who are nonmedical, read that as dead. It was necessary to open me fully to remove the old pouch, form a new pouch, then fix and remove a part of the bowel. I have a drain port in the event an emergency causes the need to get in quickly since any lap procedure of scope is now impossible.

As for diet, I'm back to full clear liquids and I'm not certain what intolerances may develop and whether these will be in place of or in addition to issues I now have. And, I can't get an answer as to whether I should expect weight loss, although I think its hard to think that won't be the case.

I was pretty prepared mentally for the first surgery, but this has really thrown me. I hate to be thrown back to the beginning of what for me was a very tough new surgery experience. The thought of dealing with a full open surgery when the lap recovery was so rough is frightening as well. I do have to say that so far, I feel better than I would have expected maybe since my weight is dramatically lower and I am more fit.

I have not been able to find much if anything regarding pouch necrosis, so that also have me somewhat frightened sine I like to know what to expect. Perhaps the follow up with the surgeon will give me some answers. I'm hoping to get an appointment for sometime this week.

All I can say is 'who'd a-thunk-it?
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Don 1962
on 6/2/13 2:53 am

Holy Medical Mystery Batman!

Glad you are squared away again.  If you ever get a good explanation as to what caused the pouch to "pass" would please pass it along.

OldmanJim
on 6/2/13 3:22 am - AZ

Ken, I'm so sorry to read about your life threatening surgery this past week.  I must admit that your writing about it in such a matter of fact way is encouraging.  I know I wouldn't be so calm.  After 4 years you would think everything would work just fine.  Hopes and prayers are with you.

I also haven't commented here lately.  I had my 1st year anniversary on May 17th.  My numbers are roughly:

High Weight         337

Surgery Weight    313

Lowest Weight      172

Current Weight     177

Total Weight Loss  160

I've finally gained a few pounds back.  Being I'm 6' tall I think I feel better at 190.  Only real trouble I'm having is low blood pressure that is accompanied with lightheadedness and/or dizziness.  My blood pressure is regularly about 90 or 95 over 55 to 58.  A lot of times when I take it I will only get to the mid to high 80's on top and sometimes I even drop to the high 70's.  Doctors (Cardiologist, surgeon or PCP) can't figure out why.  I have more blood work scheduled for Tues.  They all have told me to increase my intake of salt and liquids.  I am drinking at least 4 or 5 bottles of water plus 1 quart of Powerade (regular for the salt) and about a cup of milk each day.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

One final comment for Brian and Don.  Ninety is not HOT!  Today in Phoenix we should hit our FIRST 110 of the year.  I know it's dry heat but believe me 110 is HOT!  I can't believe I carried mail here for 23 years in the hell hole  LOL

Jim

Brian K.
on 6/3/13 9:31 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12

Super, super job Jim! You keep up the good work and I hope they find the source of your discomfort soon!

Sam LifeNerd
on 6/2/13 11:28 pm

Wow that IS scary and I am glad you went to the hospital immediately!!  Looking back, were there any symptoms (blood in feces, stomach pains, etc.) that might have indicated this was coming?

(Have you been using any NSAIDS / ibuprofen, aspirin, etc?)

Sounds like the blood supply to the pouch was not good for some reason, essentially starving it / killing that organ.

This is one of the reasons I like the RNY vs. the Sleeve, we still have stomach material to use "just in case!!"

Glad to hear you are on the path to recovery, I am sure you will see SOME weight loss / your body will be hurting and not wanting to eat again for a while.  (You might not have the "full" sensations for a bit too when you do start to eat until the nerves reconnect.)

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 69 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 103 views