I am almost there... I think

trkr75
on 2/25/17 9:21 pm
VSG on 11/08/17

So I posted a little while ago introducing my self, thanks to those *****plied. I have been quiet since then just going through the motions of getting all the check boxes checked. My Dr. did a scope on my stomach to see what he had to work with and found a small tumor (golf ball size) so he wanted to get rid of that and did.. Fun fun fun, not a big deal no cancer or anything to worry about. Since then I have met with the dreaded "headshrinker" (not that I don't like them but I am a semi private person who will talk with his family if I have a problem type of guy) saw her twice then another time to take a PHI test. I get the fact that the Ins company wants to make sure you are going to take this serious and not be a waste of money for them... but you would think after the first meeting with the "headshrinker" if they are any good they would be able to tell that instead of follow up after follow up then some stupid test to see if you are depressed, again they should be able to tell after the first meeting. grumble grumble enough venting. I have met with my regular Dr. twice for my 3 month supervised diet and meet with him one more time on the 14th. Then I think I am all done with the pre-requisitions I meet with my doctor on Monday and see where we go from here, hopefully schedule my sleeve end of March. Not really excited or worried just ready to get it done and get back to a healthier me. What are your experiences with getting back to the gym or starting to work out again after surgery? I have a spartan sprint in Sept to get ready for and would like to start training for that as soon as I can but don't want to mess anything that the Dr. does. Guess I will ask him on Monday. Anyways will update with more info later on. See ya 

Ken

Qajohn
on 2/26/17 5:16 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Welcome back, and thanks for checking in again. 

IMHO, the most critical prep for WLS is making sure your head is in the game. You'll be making a permanent change to your body, and you want to be sure you don't have buyers remorse. Also, the surgery is just a tool. If your head isn't in the game, you can (and some do) ignore that tool and not get the benefits that come with the surgery. 

As far as exercise goes, I started walking 5K's in the Mall of America (there is a path designated) because it was winter in Minnesota. After surgery, I started doing more cardio on an elliptical. I then hired a personal trainer to show me how to properly lift weights. These days, I do a lot of bike riding in the summer, and spin classes in the winter, along with weight lifting. My goal is to build and keep muscle and bone density with weight training, and maintain fitness with the cardio. 

The hoops in the process are there for a reason, but you'll get through them.

trkr75
on 2/26/17 5:59 am
VSG on 11/08/17

So was doing a little cyber stalking..lol As I sit here in front of my computer at work waiting for the day to end or start depending on who you are. I work 11pm - 8am at a data center in Nashville, TN. I came across a post of yours in which you say you went to Michigan Tech I believe it was. It is a small world I went to Lake Superior State, since you were a yooper for a while anyways... you will understand my next questio... Are pasties out of the question? I have a friend who lives down in TN as well but she is from Escanaba and makes killer pasties.... Anyways thanks for the reply.

Ken

Qajohn
on 2/26/17 10:17 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

You'll find lots of different opinions on food. I subscribe to the "Anything Goes in Moderation" theory. Pasties are little calorie bombs to be sure, but I had one at MTU about 8 weeks after surgery. I nibbled on the inside and left the crust. Today, I would probably do the same, but a pasty would be more of an exception than a rule in what I'd eat. 

My biggest problem in Tn would be the darn BBQ. I love that stuff. 

yvranx42
on 2/26/17 5:51 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I can tell you what my surgeon said about exercise...

Of course, you want to be walking right away after surgery.

After that, my surgeon approved me for cardio at my appt 10 days after surgery. I've been doing about an hour several times a week. I'm fine while I'm doing it, but I need about 15-20 minutes of rest afterwards as I get a little lightheaded.

Next up, I'll be starting back with Tae Kwon Do at about the six week mark, but taking it easy on the ab and core work.

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 87 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 97 views