Meal prep

DwayneP
on 4/14/17 8:35 am
VSG on 03/23/17

What do you guys make to eat for a week? I posted something similar in the Diet / Nutrition area. I am curious because I want to make some batch things on Sunday that I can have throughout the week and think about what I am eating less each day and make it a bit more automatic.

Thanks,

-Dwayne

82much
on 4/17/17 8:13 am
VSG on 11/28/16

I bought some 1 cup containers and put leftovers in them and freeze. I keep them in a freezer at work. I also like to put Brussels sprouts or over frozen veggies in small containers and freeze for snacks. A few sticks of chicken or beef jerky are good for non perishables.

Qajohn
on 4/17/17 11:45 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

In the winter, I will make chili and chicken vegetable soup to keep in the freezer. I wing it in the summer.

cabin111
on 4/17/17 9:53 pm, edited 4/17/17 2:55 pm

I do a crock pot with my own meat and vegetables. Choose either lean chicken or beef. I'll fry it with a very little amount of oil first. Then grab your crock pot. Add a ton of vegetables. Herbs and spices. I put in red wine for my stew/soup. Some of the vegetables I'll use is; cabbage, a few red potatoes, celery, lentils, zucchini, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, etc. Leave on low for many hours...Come home and the food is ready. Maybe try it on your days off to see how firm/limp you want your vegetables...More stew or soup...You decide. I'll put it in small containers in the freezer. Just pick at each container I bring out over many days, when I feel like it. Also if you are ready, you should try some Wendy's Chili...Good eats.

In my pockets I will keep; plain Cheerios, rye crackers, plain nuts (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pistachio, pecans), raisins. Brian

4khansen
on 4/20/17 10:45 am, edited 4/20/17 4:07 am - IA
VSG on 07/01/15

I realize you are just out from surgery so most of what I post is more my routine after 22 months. But something to look forward too.

I'm into the Sunday routine thing too.... A batch of chili, eggplant parmesan (I add meat to up the protein), ExploreAsian noodles/carbonara (made with eggs and parm, not cream), stir fry chicken/shrimp and vegetables (typically little or no rice, love the single serve microwavable rice cups you can buy), grilled hamburgers, grilled pork or turkey burgers, brats. All of these things freeze well in small containers then I have them for lunches at work or at home as I am semi-retired. Occasionally make some jambalaya with just andouille sausage, shrimp and chicken, seasonings and veggies, no rice. Makes a huge batch!

I almost always have a yogurt in my lunch box with a small canister of protein granola to add a bit of texture. Along with one of the above small servings, maybe a string cheese, a few nuts, a mini-box of raisins, a Pure protein bar or a Premier Protein drink. These things are not ALL in my lunch at once, just some of the variety I might have... ;-).

Today I just had a yogurt, granola, cottage cheese and leftover pork loin with a couple small pieces of grilled potato and onion.

HW: 336.5 (March 1, 2015), Height: 5'11", Birthdate: November 8, 1955

VSG: July 1, 2015 288.0 lbs, University of Iowa Hospitals -- Dr. Isaac Samuel

CW: 196 lbs, goal: 186

8/2/15 -- 263.8 | 8/30/15 -- 256.0 | 9/20/15 -- 248.6 | 11/1/15 -- 240.6 | 11/29/15 -- 233.2 | 1/3/16 -- 227.4 | 1/31/16 -- 218.6 | 2/28/16 -- 211.2 | 3/27/16 -- 204.6 | 5/2/2016 -- 206.6 | 5/30/2016 -- 203.8 | 7/7/2016 --198.8 | 8/1/2016 -- 197.8 | 1/25/2017 -- 196.3 | 3/23/2017 -- 194

Jester
on 6/1/17 1:00 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I'm a little late to this thread, but since this is an issue that never ends, better ate than never I guess!

Here is how I approach food prep:

Lunch Entrees - Roughly One Sunday a Month
--I pick 3-4 meals that sound good to me (I use a recipe app and whenever I see a recipe online that looks good I save it, so I always have tons of recipes to choose from)
--I generally double the recipe and cook up a solid months worth of lunches.
--I portion these out into 1 cup or 1.5 cup portions, label them, and freeze them
--I also log this individual portion size into MFP

Fruits & Vegetables - Every Sunday
--I go shopping every weekend for fruits and veggies for the week
--I portion out 5 bags of whatever I want for that week
--I weigh these portioned bags and pre-log them into MFP

Then everyday I just go to my freezer and grab a meal that sounds good. I also grab a bag of fruits and a bag of veggies. Takes me about 30 seconds to pack my lunch each day. I also have everything pre-saved in MFP, so it is simple to add my food for the day.

I have found the only way to make this work for me is to be prepared. If I spend the time prepping I am almost 100% compliant following my food plan. The weekly fruit/veggie prep hardly takes any time, and investing 1/2 a Sunday once a month cooking is well worth the investment. Plus the food is AMAZING because I'm picking what sounds good to me!

I should also add that I often cook a HUGE batch of steel oats as well and freeze these in 1 cup portions, so I always have a breakfast and/or snack if I need it. I have been making up a pan of this Oatmeal Pear Almond Bake lately too. I get 8 portions out of it, so I eat it for breakfast every day. I've been doing this for probably 6 weeks and still am not sick of it!!

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 88 views