New member hit rock bottom

vau0956
on 3/24/19 10:19 pm

I've been morbidly obese since 2012, reaching a lifetime max weight of 360 that year. Since then, my weight fluctuated between 320 and 340 until 2018, which I hit 380. Since the start of 2019, my new maximum is 410 pounds.

That's bad enough on its own. However, today I truly hit bottom hard. For the past month or so, I've had a mild pain near my left ankle when I walk, but I was still able to function. Today, something in my left foot went terribly wrong, and now putting any weight on that foot causes severe pain. Walking up or down the stairs of my 4-level townhome is now torture. I feel crippled and unable to function as an adult.

I spent hours crying and cursing myself for letting this happen. When I calmed down, I located a nearby hospital with a well-regarded bariatric surgery clinic. I'll be contacting them tomorrow for an appointment. Also, I'm leaving work early tomorrow to visit my GP about my foot. I'll be so very, very ashamed if I end up having to hire in-home assistance because I've crippled myself beyond the ability to do laundry or even climb my stairs without further injury. I'll hope for the best, but I'm bracing myself for the worst.

Finally, I've been looking for a compelling reason to do a total water fast. This is it. I've thrown out all my food, even high-protein keto stuff. No solid food will pass my lips while I remain too injured to function.

It's not at all easy or pleasant to admit that I've been such a fool with how I've treated my body. There have been numerous emotional issues involved, and I was taught at a young age to medicate with food. But I have to own what I've done to my body now.

Don 1962
on 3/25/19 3:55 pm

1. Welcome to OH!

2. Go see the PCP regarding the ankle before going to extreme on a water fast. Fad diets is what got a lot of us where we are.

3. WLS is NOT a cure all! It is a tool to help you get control of one part of your life. If you are an obese depressed man you are still going to be a depressed man only smaller. A lot of the surgeons require you to meet with a psychologist pre-op to make sure your head is ready for this ride.

4. Do your research on the types of surgeries and then do some more till you and your surgeon determine what is best for you!

Don't be a stranger!

vau0956
on 3/25/19 9:18 pm
  1. Thanks!
  2. Fair point. Upon reflection, I'm going to experiment with a low-carb food plan that I believe will be sustainable. Please see below.
  3. I've received clearance from a psychiatrist that I am a good candidate for WLS. Also, I'll be attending the pre-op support group meetings.
  4. I'm hoping for the sleeve. The aforementioned psychiatrist has other patients who've done well with the sleeve compared with the lapband.

Good news: Inflammation in my foot, not stress fractures. So far, it's responding well to prescription anti-inflammatory meds. Could have been much worse.

Bad news: Stepped on my GP's scale. I'm 415. I've ordered a more accurate and higher-max bathroom scale for my home to better track progress. It should arrive Wednesday. Crossing my fingers, 415 will be my lifetime max weight, and it will be all downhill from here. (Lower is better.)

Low-carb diet I"m going to try:

• Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage.
  • Lunch: Turkey wrap with cheese, lettuce, and peppers. Pop-Chips on the side. Also, some kind of soup or stew would really help, though it's tough to find low-carb options.
  • Dinner: Nothing. I really don't need any more calories. Additional eating would be more emotional than nutritional, plus eating a meal after 6pm is really bad for me.
  • I tried low-carb baked cheese crackers, and while they are filling, they don't agree with me. They give me bad acid reflux.
Don 1962
on 3/28/19 5:38 pm

Sounds like you are on top of things!

Dirty socks and skivvies time. Think long and hard before you even consider a lap band. A lot of folks do well with them but they can be fraught with complications. Slippages, filling and unfilling, eroding into your tissues etc.

No surgery is fool proof and there have been WLS "failures" with every procedure. They surgeries don't "fail" us. We "fail" them.

My $0.02. Spend it wisely.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/19 10:00 pm
82much
on 3/31/19 7:23 am
VSG on 11/28/16

I had VSG 2.5 years ago. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old habits (night eating, grazing) have crept back, but the tool does it's job and I am so much better than I was 30 months ago. You won't believe how it can change your life. I come here every Sunday to weigh in and get/give support (and learn about sports).

We will be here for you!

-Bob

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 31 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 31 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 67 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 90 views