Dr. Aceves on August 6th

lala285
on 8/8/12 12:04 pm - OK
VSG on 08/06/12
Okay, it's confirmed, Day 2 (the first post-op day) is the worst. Yesterday I felt pretty darn bad. The drainage bag made me sore and I was having waves of nausea and cramping with my new stomach processing the liquids I was drinking. They gave me nausea medication, which made me sleepy so I slept on and off throughout the day. I still walked some, but I was feeling pretty queazy and having issues with feeling hot and cold. But they monitor your BP and temp regularly, and I never had a fever. So go figure. I suppose it's to be expected for the body to do some funky things with such trauma delivered to it! My surgery date buddy (the lady who also got sleeved on Monday) also concurred that Day 2 was the worst. Neither of us were looking like happy campers yesterday. Already today, we both feel much, much better.

This morning I did the barium test around 8am. You, and your travel companion if he/she want to, go to the X ray room and you drink a chalky barium drink and watch on the X ray screen how it goes down your esophagus, through your sleeve, and on down. It's pretty interesting. 

Karla came mid-morning to give me my chest X ray, the X rays of the barium test, a copy of the EKG, and blood test results, so I have all of these to give my PCP back home. She also gave some pain killer to be used as needed, SupraDOL ketorolaco sublingual, and some Pantozol in granulated form for acid reflux. You get a 28 day supply of the Pantozol, but you're supposed to take it daily for 3-6 months post-op. You can buy any of the Proton Pump Inhibitors listed in the patient guide. However, my dad and I just walked to the corner pharmacy and bought a couple boxes of the Pantozol for less than $40 USD. I think the granulated form will come in handy rather than having to crush pills.

Around noon Dr. Campos came and removed my drainage bag. Ahhhh, sweet relief. It felt good to get that out of me. And I was able to take a shower and even changed to my regular clothes (lose cotton t-shirt and cotton capris) rather than staying in the hospital gown. If you're worried about packing too much, I'll tell you that you could easily just pack clothes for your travel days and wear the hospital gowns the days you're here. They're big and comfy. Whatever clothes you pack, make sure you don't mind if they're stained because the cuts on your stomach still might ooze and such. Basically, don't bother bringing any nice clothes. Think of comfort as your top priority.

So far they've brought a steady supply of liquids for me to sip on. Soup broth (so yummy), apple juice, a lemon/lime sports drink, herbal tea, and a vitamin water type of drink. I just sip, sip, sip and never finish all of it completely before they bring me more. But just keep drinking! Yesterday it was really hard to drink. I'd take a sip, get queazy, eyes watering, mouth fill with saliva, feel like I'm going to puke even though there's nothing to puke, then stop and take a break. Then I'd just try again. Let me tell you, some of my "sips" were really just wetting my mouth and that had to be good enough at that moment. Dr. A said it's all normal. Oh, and I know this might be TMI, but in addition to making sure you can pee after your procedure, the walking is especially helpful to get the gas out of your body. They pump CO2 into your body to do the surgery, so afterwards you want to be burping and farting, that's a good sign that the gas is getting out! Haha.

They are taking such good care of us here. They make your bed daily while you're out walking and my dad and I commented on how they mop the floor and take out the trash multiple times of day. And the nurses station is right there, so close. It's not like in the US where you call for a nurse and one might come in 5 or 10 minutes.

Well, tomorrow we are supposed to be ready at 7:00am to head back to the airport. I'm ready to go back home, but I'm positive about my experience here. I wish all of you the best of luck with your procedures and please post about your expereiences. I hope my posts have been helpful and if you have any questions, just let me know.

Good luck all of you!

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

DarioM
on 8/9/12 10:09 am, edited 8/9/12 10:09 am
Hello Lala285 -- I'm having my surgery on Aug 15th. Your comments are very, very reassuring, thank you so much for all the detail. I'm travelling with my wife so it's been great to hear about they've been treating you both. I've been on the pre-op for almost 3 weeks and I've lost 17 lbs -- I'm so excited! And thanks to you, I now feel much better about this important decision. I hope all continues well with you. Please keep posting -- I'll do the same. Thanks again and have a safe trip!

lala285
on 8/10/12 9:52 pm - OK
VSG on 08/06/12
Hi Dario! I'm glad you've found my posts helpful. I was hoping they would help anyone who was as thirsty for information as I was before surgery. Congratulations on your weight loss on the pre-op diet! That is fantastic and an indicator that you'll continue to do well after the surgery.

Best of luck with your surgery and enjoy letting everyone else take good care of you.

And on a side note...If you're a glutton for punishment, you could go with your wife to the hospital cafeteria when you're feeling well enough. The cafeteria is more like a small restaurant. I went with my dad to keep him company during his last couple meals there. Figured I might as well get used to watching other people eat. While I was happy to sip on my liquids, I must admit his quesadilla looked mighty tasty! Their hospital food looks a lot better than hospital food in the States. 

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

aloadoff
on 8/11/12 4:32 am
 How was your experience... I am considering him. please ... please...Details from the Airport and back if you don't mind??

lala285
on 8/19/12 4:18 pm - OK
VSG on 08/06/12
Hi aloadoff! I hope you've been able to gather a good amount of information about my experience from my previous posts on this thread. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Aceves and his team. Tomorrow is my two week "surgiversary" and I've lost 15.2 pounds, plus I lost 9 during the pre-op diet. Woohoo! It hasn't been peachy all the time, but it's been worth it.

Here are the things I have not liked:
Unflavored Unjury protein mix is disgusting. Some people like it, but I am not one of them. I tried it in broth, in juice, I tried putting it in juice freezing it into a popsicle...to no success. I just could not tolerate the weird taste it added to whatever I put it in. It literally made me gag. Luckily, I am okay with Isopure (apple melon is my favorite) so I'm able to get protein in that way. And now that I'm in the Phase 2 part of the post-op diet, I can have flavored protein mix, which I'm fine with. Just something about that unflavored protein mix was not my taste. But who knows, you might like it. You just have to find what works for you. 

Feeling too full after eating just a few bites of soup. It's kind of frustrating. But it's part of the healing process, so I know I have to stop and wait a while before I can have some more soup. I also get hiccups or the burps, which is helped by some chewable Gas X.

Acid reflux. I would get it sometimes before surgery, and I get it occasionally now. I just make sure to take the granulated Pantozol they gave me at the hospital. It works for me.

Low energy. I tend to get pretty tired mid-afternoon. It's to be expected when you're eating so few calories. I try hard to reach the protein and calorie goals set by Dr. Aceves' post-op directives.

Despite those things, that are all just part of the healing process, and different for every person...I am very happy I had the procedure done and I am happy I went to Dr. A. I had surgery on Monday and I was back at work telecommuting the following Monday, and back in the office physically on Thursday. And I felt fine. If you can get more time off, I'd say go for it, because why not take the time to heal. But I was fine with the amount of time I took off and I felt perfectly fine going back to work. I just have to make sure I'm prepared with soup, Isopure, and beverages to sip on throughout the day.

Best of luck to you! Let us know if you decide to go to Dr. Aceves!

DarioM
on 8/20/12 7:30 pm
I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves on Wednesday last week and I'm back home now -- I've already lost 12 lbs and I'm feeling great. The experience with Dr. Aceves was EXCELLENT! Everything, from the pickup at the hotel and drive to Mexicali, the hotel, the hospital, the doctor's personnel, the operation, and the doctors themselves (Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos) -- everything was superb. The day I decided to get my operation, that same day I decided to never eat like an obese person again. So I followed the pre op diet strictly for 3 weeks and lost 20 lbs, and I'm convinced that helped in my quick recovery. I can only speak wonders of Dr. Aceves and his team. Best decision I ever made!
DarioM
on 8/11/12 6:05 am
Lala285 you're right, so I'll accept the challenge: I'll go with my wife to the hospital cafeteria to watch her gobble up some Mexican food while I sip sip sip on water. Thanks for the great help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 340 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 529 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1121 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1701 views