I opted for OA, Overeaters Anonymous instead of RNY!

dangeloc
on 7/31/17 3:12 pm

WOW! Thank you. I just earned my 1 year coin and am down 103.5 pounds! I have gone from a size 26W to size 14 missy!

PrivateCitizen
on 8/2/17 1:34 pm

Congrats!! bet that feels wonderful!

I remember getting down to a size 9 dress long ago, is was a cotton lace extravaganza, to the floor, swirly, dressy, with a waist, wore it at Christmas and shocked DH's family

I was the short beyond chubby girl who stole their tall skinny Swede brother ( they were ALL over 6' -sisters included) so they didn't get his attraction to my 'voluptuous' poundage.

I just attended my first OA meeting at 7pm last night, not what I expected (good or bad) it was 5 women, small group, strict following of the AA book and reading step 8...and all the ladies were friends and I have 5 new women to call and learn from so that is great.

I am going to get to a Noon one tomorrow if I can, which is a different format entirely.

I am one of those people who do get inspired by others (like you!) and that helps me kick start or STAY WITH what works for me. Came home at 830 and was wired from he stimulation and new thinking I could not get to sleep til 5am!! hahah

I am so glad I found your post

maybe a noon meeting will let me burn off that energy from so many new people and get some rest...onward!

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/18 9:49 am, edited 2/24/18 1:50 am

I did OA for YEARS and YEARS before i got my RNY surgery. I never fully got over binging because i actually had a giant hiatal hernia ( caused by a hereditary birth defect but very common among bariatric patients) physically driving me to overeat.

I was also significantly ( still) overweight though far less than my weight after regaining in my times from OA . This overweight and yo-yo ing led to health complications- depression, pre-diabetes metabolic syndrome.

Actually i heard about bariatric surgery from fellow OA patients and , not being ? huge? didn?t realize i could qualify until i found this website .. and started chatting with people who had gotten the surgery as ? lightweights? due to co-morbidities.

That was eye opening for me as were the amazing statistics for putting diabetes into relapse post op - and curing hiatal hernias and chronic GERD .

OA wasn?t enough to ? cure ? my weight issue - it helped a bit but fell way short of helping me achieve an optimal healthy body weight.

I was glad i had the OA experience because post op here Im sure it helped me be exceptionally successful in using the tool my bariatric surgery offered me.

I would just encourage exploration of both OA AND bariatric surgery .. not to think you need to choose one or the other . Many post ops attend OA meetings and find they can keep to t he program much better using their surgically given tool.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 338 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 466 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 675 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 888 views