What Did You Eat Today?

Maren McGregor
on 9/16/05 8:03 am - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with
Hi all, Today I had: B = 6 oz FF yogurt, 1/4 c. LF granola, sm. banana L = 3 oz turkey pastrami, 3/4 oz LF Swiss, 1/2 nectarine D = 3 oz LF polish sausage w/onions & mushrooms, sliced tomato S = Will have some popcorn tonight Blessings, Maren
Donnamarie
on 9/16/05 9:32 am - NY
Hi there Maren I have to admit to being a little concerned about how little I am able to eat. I don't ever get hungry anymore, and after eating for a little bit I get very bored. I just don't feel like eating. This coming from a person that ate her way to 400 lbs at one point. I don't know what to do. I am not proud of this, believe me I am not. A typical day for me is what I have been posting. B = 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, 1/2 cup of coffee which I really only drink about two sips of. I am not a coffee drinker. Most days now I push myself through breakfast. I could easily get by with 1 egg and 1 slice of bacon. As it is the dogs lick my plate of the yolk and the egg I can't eat. (I know, gross. LOL) L = typically it includes a couple of small slices of turkey. I usually buy the butterball in the package, not deli sliced, I think that 5 slices equal like 50 calories. I will sometimes have a couple of small slices of cheese off of an 8 ounce block, fat-free cheddar. I will take a large cucumber and skin it and then cut it up. I am usually successful in eating about 1/2 of it. Then I eat sugar free gelatin with whipped cream. D = usually some type of protein. Chicken breast, pork loin (the center part, all white meat), vegetable of some sort. On some nights I have about 1/2 cup of whole wheat pasta and mix my vegetables and protein and mix it up like a casserole. S = is always just a sugar free gelatin and three nights a week I allow myself a sugar free pudding. I was consuming about 850 calories a day when I was eating all of this. Now I barely eat half of what I was eating. I am scared because I don't want to force my body into starvation mode because then I won't lose a pound, and I will start feeling poorly. I take a multi-vitamin, 600 mg of calcium and lysine every day. I drink about 75-100 ounces of water or some type of crystal light drink per day. I do my exercises at night which consists of 70 reps mostly with arms and 3 lbs dumbell weights, and 60 stomach crunches. I don't feel sluggish, I am not loosing my hair or my nails aren't breaking. I'm not tired or getting dizzy or feeling badly at all. But I am scared that I am not able to eat. My other half makes me take one more bite then I would on my own, he's concerned for me as well. I have lost on the average of 5 pounds per week. I started on July 7 and I go back to my doctor on September 20, which is next Tuesday. I have seen him twice since starting my program. I will share with him my concerns. Perhaps a protein drink of some sort, maybe Boost, when I am feeling like I can't eat anymore. This is a cry for help. I don't want people to tell me how lucky I am that I can't eat, or have no desire to. Half of me thanks god that I have stopped the obsession with food, but the other half is seriously concerned for where this might be leading. I don't hate food, not at all. I just really really don't want to eat anymore. Any suggestions? Donna
Maren McGregor
on 9/16/05 11:21 am - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with
Donna, While it would be easy to tell you, "hey, I want that problem" I know from past experience that it is not as good as it sounds. I think you are right to be concerned and am glad to hear you will be discussing it with your doctor. I do not think it is a good idea to "force" ourselves to eat when we really don't want to and at the same time I believe it is entirely possible for us to develop a different, but equally unhealthy, eating disorder when we try to break the cycle of overeating. I have had what you describe happen to me and have seen it happen to two of my friends. In all three cases it did go away on its own after a couple of months (or weeks in the case of one friend). Eating just kind of gradually got back to "normal". But again, I would not assume that will happen. At the very worst, internal damage could be happening long before you start to feel bad and at the very least you will go into starvation mode and stop losing, defeating the whole purpose. My only advice would be to make sure that what you do eat is high quality, high protein, and that you get as much variety (IE meat, green veggies, fresh fruit ) as you can given the small amount you are eating. (It sounds like you are pretty much doing that already). And whenever you can take, "one more bite" do so. I will be interested to hear what your doctor has to say (if you are comfortable sharing his/her take on your situation). In the meantime, I will keep you in my thoughts and meditations. Blessings, Maren
Jessica D.
on 9/16/05 12:27 pm - Edmonds, WA
One thing I've learned in my years of nursing is, if you are losing more than 1-2 pounds a week, you're losing a hell of a lot of water, and a lot more muscle than you should be. Fat is one of those dreadful substances in our bodies that you have to slowly burn off. The calories you're taking in dairly put you in a catagory called "starvation mode". You've heard it a zillion times, but I think it bears repeating because hopefully, you can talk to your MD/dietician and find a plan that will continue to help you lose weight, but not eat at your lean muscle mass and dehydrate you. Honestly, the less we eat, the less we want to eat. It's a physiological mechanism that our body eases into when we lower our calories over a prolonged period of time. You really aren't hungry. I believe you. But at this point, we're going to need to make every morsel of food that goes into your body, something to fuel it. Protien shakes: YES!! Grilled meat: ABSOLUTELY! Mulitivitamins: Bonus! Forget about 3 meals a day. That's impossible for someone like you. What would really help you is smaller "mini-meals" consisting of protein, healthy fat (olive oil) and fiber/veggies. The question is, how will we get this stuff into you. Your body is now in starvation mode. And every minute you remain there, is 10 minutes more work you're going to have to put in to reverse that metabolic catastrophe that starvation is. So let's start with little meals... Breakfast: protien shake, and 2 eggs Midmorning: Low carb yogurt, and 3 breakfast sausage links Lunch: small salad with turkey, boiled egg, and low sugar dressing Midafternoon: String cheese and Whole wheat crackers Dinner: A small trukey breast, sauteed mushrooms (if you like) or melt on some low fat cheese. Small serving of whole wheat pasta. What you're doing is allowing your body food all day, in small portions, it won't think it's starving, and turn your metabolism to SLOW! It looks like a lot of food, but count the calories, I'm keeping you between 1000 and 1500; a proper amount of calories for 1-2 pounds of fat/wk. Run this by your MD. Kick it around in your head. But take some action, before you get your metabolism all pissed off and it turns against you. Write anytime. We're here to help! Jessica, RN
Donnamarie
on 9/16/05 1:40 pm - NY
Jessica and Maren, Thank you both for your responses. I don't like where I am, and I'm glad you guys realized that. Jessica, I don't know if I am in starvation mode yet. I've only gotten this way over the past 2 weeks or so. Before that I was doing okay, even getting my calories up to 1100 on some days. My doctor was okay with that, as long as I got my vitamins in and made sure that the choices of foods I made were all whole, (fruits and vegetables, lean meats, high fiber, etc.) I don't want to hurt myself. I stayed away from WLS so that I didn't hurt my body in any way. I like the idea of smaller meals throughout the day, this way my body never feels like it has to go such a long time without sustenance. I will talk to him on Tuesday and I am sure he will help me figure out what to do. And as Maren suggested this could be a phase. I am just getting over my period, that could perhaps be something to do with it. I want to lose weight, but more than that I want to be healthy. This is a wicked harsh journey, weight loss, and I don't want to make it any harder than it has to be. I'll let you guys know what my doc says on Tuesday. Donna
Lynette
on 9/16/05 1:01 pm - Cookeville, TN
I am glad it is Friday!!!! B = pineapple smoothie, LF cheese stick, LA caramel popcorn, chocolate mint LA Lite Bar S = chocolate chip cookie dough LA Lite Bar L = chocolate meal replacement drink, orange S = Salad from Subway ( turkey, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato, green pepper) FF French dressing, sugar free jello
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 883 views