Is your RNY keeping you awake?

Tina G.
on 11/3/09 9:20 pm - Brampton, Canada
Tina G.
on 11/3/09 9:36 pm - Brampton, Canada
Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry but I'm confused. Have you had an RNY? I ask because your profile says DS so I'm trying to be clear about what I'm reading and about what you are saying.

Okay I read further and I see that you are a victim of that Joffe person (I refuse to call him a "Doctor"!) So several years ago you had some kind of a botched procedure. Whether or not it was a correctly performed rny might be open to debate, right? So I don't think it's a good idea to paint ALL RNY's with this paintbrush.

I'd just like for this to be clear for all the new people out there looking for information. Your case is probably not the norm, right? That Joffe person did bad things to many people. MY RNY was performed by a reputable and very experieinced surgeon and I'm mostly compliant with my eating. For the most part I eat my 3 meals a day at regular times and a couple of snacks and I've never experienced what you are talking about here.

nata
on 11/4/09 1:35 am, edited 11/4/09 4:24 am - Ottawa, Canada
Too early to say. Usually the symptoms show about 2-3 years postop. Though mostly it's a mild condition regulated by diet. However if you get severely overactive pancreas, it can be escalated up to a life threatening condition, treated by partial or full pancreas removal, in which case a patient becomes insulin/hormone replacement dependent for life. Surgeon's qualifications have nothing to do with hormonal reaction.

Pretending that this problem does not exists doesn't eliminate the issue, I'm sorry, if talking about reactive hypoglycemia upsets you. Nobody is saying that RNY is a bad surgery, we are talking about a pretty common side effect and preops should know about it.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Tina G.
on 11/5/09 11:16 am - Brampton, Canada
Nata,

I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say. I'm not trying to pretend the condition doesn't exist and I'm not trying to get involved in yet another "my surgery is better than your surgery" argument and talking about hypoglycemia or anything else on this board doesn't "upset" me.

I was attempting to point out that Jennifer's RNY was not performed by a reputable surgeon and therefore her case might not be exactly routine.  Having said that, how would you or I know what that man did inside her body? Even the medical researchers don't understand hormonal reactions so how can you say with such authority that techique of the surgeon DOESN"T have anything to do with her present condition?? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 9:40 pm - Canada
I can't sleep either.  I have started taking 2 gravol about 10:30 and gravol literally knocks me unconscious {better hope no fire because I'd never hear} I don't want to "have" to do this every night so try one night yes one night no.  The nights I don't I lie there going over ever problem in the world in my head lmao.

Elizabeth xoxoxo's
Tina G.
on 11/3/09 9:44 pm - Brampton, Canada
Yeah but I really think your insomnia might have more to do with the DRAMA in your life than with your RNY, right?!

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 10:32 pm - Canada
Most definitely.  I had thought of that after I wrote a reply, I had at first thought it was because I have so much more energy and am doing so very much.  {Before the drama} That was why I wasn't sleeping right, but my Daughter was going through alot and that was what I was thinking of so very well could be just the Drama in my life. 

I dont' think the being awake from  the RNY would be a bad thing.  I thought it was because I have energy because all of a sudden I am 121.4 lbs lighter and I wasn't exercizing much compared to what I am doing now, and figured it was the energy I wasn't releasing.  I don't think it is a bad showing of the RNY because honestly I'd NEVER trade my RNY for anything.  It has been perfect for me.

I do want to say yes there are different methods of surgery.  I don't think any are better than the other just better suited to each of us.  So yes Maybe for one person DS is the answer, for me RNY was.  I think it depends on each person, no one can say One is totally better than another because each of us are unique and have different things that work with one or the other better.  Anyways I don't like the DS or RNY debates they get nasty, and please READ I wasn't hashing either.  I love watching the success many have with Ds and how wonderful they look I also love watching the successes of RNY & VSG and how wonderful they llook also.  Feel The Love Yet?? h ahaha.

Elizabeth xoxoxo's

Mr. Incredible
on 11/3/09 10:40 pm - Canada

Wow- thanks for posting this!!  I didn't know it was related.  Ever since the surgery I can't seem to get a good nights sleep- I thought it was my insides still trying to heal.
I am usually up for 2-3 hrs a night.  The only solution is to take sleeping pills which helps but I am still up for an hour or so in the middle of the night.

Any suggestions?

PATS- September 30th 2009
Surgery- October 14th, 2009
orignall goal-200lbs new goal 185'
August 2011-  182- umm.. now what?
The past is the past and can never be changed, but the future is what ever you want it to be.

Jennifer D.
on 11/4/09 5:14 am
I think you are right about the still healing part. Hopefully you get back to normal sleep patterns quickly.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
paula-37
on 11/4/09 1:14 am - brantford, Canada
 HI Jennifer i suffer from the insomnia i suffered from this for along time even before i had my surgery.i here you when you wish you could sleep. i hope that eventually your sleep patterns get better where you can get a good nights sleep.good luck with your weight loss surgery journey .please take care of yourself.all the best of luck.
Sincerly Yours Your Oh Friend
PAULA(paula-37)

Most Active
Recent Topics