Lapband coverage in Ontario

dragonfly_1469
on 5/4/10 1:21 pm - Canada
Someone told me today that the lapband is now covered in Ontario.  I find this hard to believe.  Does anyone else know about this?
milauran
on 5/4/10 1:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I doubt it as well. Can't see them bending on that one, I think we would have seen an announcement. They are trying to narrow the choice down to RnY only, most have to fight to get any other option considered like the VSG or DS.
Lorraine           
 Lost before consult 50  between consult & surgery 33  since surgery 88
    HW 335  ConsultW 285   SW 252   CW 164  GW 167   Left to lose 0 (-3 below goal)

onikenbai
on 5/4/10 1:54 pm - Canada
 It is not.  You may be able to get a private insurance company you have through work to pay for some aspects of the band process, such as the nutritional counseling.  Possibly that is the source of the confusion.  OHIP definitely does not cover the band.

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/10 7:59 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
It's covered if you are military by their insurance carrier and the OHIP are just starting to cover it for obese children that meet certain criteria but I'm not sure if they have started the kids yet
sam1am
on 5/4/10 10:37 pm
That's really interesting, Tracey!  I understand the kids, certainly, but why would OHIP cover it for the Military but not the average obese person?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/10 10:45 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
OHIP doesn't cover it for the military, their own insurance does.  Maybe that part wasn't clear in my post.
sam1am
on 5/5/10 12:14 am
Oh, too bad!  I thought it might be a gateway to getting it approved throughout OHIP.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

torontojim
on 5/4/10 10:53 pm - Canada
OHIP will not pay for lapband, for the following reasons.........

It has the lowest sucess rate of all types of WLS, and it is the easiest to "fiddle with " by enlarging the lap band, from the outside, to make the pouch bigger.  The most obvious reason is that it is "completely reversable " by removing the band surgically.

If you want it, you can get it in Ontario, at a private clinic, for a price between 16,000 and 20,000 dollars of your own money.

Jim B.                 Toronto.
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/10 11:04 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
And if you go to a reputable clinic, trust me there is no fiddling with your fill level.  They won't fill and defill just so you can go on vacation or go out and pig out.  You are sadly misinformed as well since we don't have a pouch and the band does not move so therefore it does not make either part of the stomach bigger or smaller, what a fill does is narrow the opening from the top part to the bottom part.  Lowest success rate is very subjective as well considering all the studides include stats from the US where the clinics there are famously known for poor follow up.  Until the day I see a study done by a reputable Canadian Clinic about the bands, I will reserve judgment on how poor the results are.
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/10 11:43 pm
OHIP doesn't pay for the Lap-band because they are  too cheap and too many people would be lining up to get them.    Please get the terminology straight as you do not "enlarge the lap-band" and professionals do not "fiddle" with it.  For many the Lap-band is a great option and as a revision from VBG who has had one for over four years I'm thrilled with mine.
Most Active
Recent Topics