Let's Talk Carbs ! Please....

KelliT
on 3/24/11 4:57 am
So I am 3 1/2 months out down 70 lbs, and I have avoided carbs for the most part a little here and there....when I went for my 3 month appt. I saw a different nut than I usually see and she said I need to start eating carbs that carbs are my friend not my enemy?

Opinions? Do your or Don' t you eat carbs? Why? What carbs do you eat?

mom4life
on 3/24/11 5:16 am - Port Rowan, Canada
Now I am sure that each one is different, but when I went for my first follow up appointment with my Nut, she told me that I shouldn't listen to what everyone else says/does.  She said that most of the hype about carbs is just that...hype.  She told me that your brain needs some carbs to function properly and that we shouldn't eliminate them from our diets, but to eat them in smaller doses than society typically serves them in.  They should be a small side dish, not the main course.  And of course she reiterated the protein first rule.

So as a rule, I eat some carbs, not tons...and I keep the flour products to a minimum.  Seems to be working for me.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

jdance
on 3/24/11 5:20 am - Canada
Oh I hate those nasty carbs, but the GOOD carbs are your friends, fruits and vegetables. Just try and cut out the white flours, breads, starches, stuff like that. Sometimes you just have to have a bit and that's ok. The brain does need carbs to function.

At 3 1/2 months out, you should be following the nut guidelines given to you, there are healthy carbs on it.  You are too early to worry about getting too many right now, protein yes.

40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats, is the daily total you should be looking at getting in.

Some of us over do it or try to break a stall by going Carbless and doing the 5 day pouch test or a carb purge. Again that's usually when we've over done the carbs or trying to break a stall. I'd say don't worry about them and follow the guidelines they gave you. You'll loose don't worry.

J

LouiseF
on 3/24/11 7:33 am
I eat a fair amount of carbs including white bread- bodywise- and flat breads. My wt loss has been very satisfactory. Most critical is to get in protein first, but I agree there is a lot of hype re carbs be evil. Our brains need carbs.
Jody08
on 3/24/11 7:40 am - essex, Canada
 i wish i could, i can barely stomach half a slice of any kind of bread and barely two bites of any kind of wrap..any more than that and it is coming back up

i try to eat oatmeal everyday and can handle a few rice cakes
was so excited when i could stomach two pieces of su****he other day..woohoo

not sure what else to try, tried a little quinoa and it was OK, well sort of

i eat alot of beans like edamame and lentils so seems to be balanced out, so far?

good luck with the carbs:-)
started this process back in 2007/2008 denied MGB, denied for Barix, put on hold (BMI was too high for pilot phase)at St.joe's and since moved to Windsor and had to start again, December, 2009 referral sent from GP...April 5 and 8, 2010 1st appt at Windsor clinic with nurse and doc
April 16, 2010 sleep clinic, April 27 echo
May 3,2010 Orientation at Met hospital--,
SURGERY booked Oct.20.2010

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 9:44 am - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
I also have a hard time tolerating breads / wraps etc.  I tried WASA crispbreads (my personal fav is sesame) and it worked for me.

The other thing that might be worth trying are "oopsies"....had a turkey & cheese "sandwich"  the other day and it was YUM!  

Not sure if it's on the recipe forum, but you can google it....it's a blog that's something like Your light Side....
Diminishing Dawn
on 3/24/11 8:08 am - Windsor, Canada
You're right. Our body needs carbs.

Most of us didn't get fat from eating too many carrots, whole grain, apples, or the like. Most of the time, when you hear about cutting carbs, we're referring to the stuff we don't need like cakes, cookies, processed garbage - that's usually what helped to get us into trouble!  It's the processed junk - the junk carbs that are the problem, especially processed stuff.  Your brain needs carbs to process :)  I try to limit the snacky carb slider junk -- but often that's the stuff i have the most trouble with. 

Rule of thumb, shop on the outside aisles of the supermarket as much as possible.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

KelliT
on 3/24/11 11:49 am
Thanks girls, I have started with small wraps, a little popcorn as a snack, she said it a ok, and it helps, a little potatoe, but very minimal.

flyingwoman
on 3/24/11 12:03 pm
I do eat carbs. Beans, lentils, quinoa, fruit, small portions of wraps, popcorn and occasional oatmeal and melba toast.
Kristen D.
on 3/24/11 12:50 pm - Kingston , Canada
Love the good carbs!! Potatoes are full of nutrients and as long as you are not eating just those and nothing else you are going to be fine.

My Angel is Karen M

Most Active
Recent Topics