Pre-Surgery Advice: losing weight and more

savasana
on 3/27/11 12:53 pm - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
I'm just at the beginning of my journey.  My referral went in Aug 6th 2010, I had the orientation March 10th, first consult with the nurse last week and the first consult with the doctor is coming this week.

Firstly, I've already been warned that if I gain weight I may have to begin the process over again.  This means I'm absolutely terrified and caught between feeling like I can't eat anything to wanting to eat everything just one last time.  How on earth does one balance this, maintain and even lose weight, and not go crazy?

Secondly, I'm curious about what happens after the initial doctor consult this week.  I'm told I'm still six months out from surgery.  Has this time-frame been accurate lately with other folks out there?

Thank you in advance!
sam1am
on 3/27/11 11:09 pm
I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for you.  Things have changed since I went through the process and every centre is different.  I just wanted to say, that I hate to hear warnings like they gave you, it just seems totally wrong to me, if you had no trouble staying where you were you (and all of us here), would not need weight loss surgery.  Hang in there, it will be worth the wait.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

sam1am
on 3/27/11 11:12 pm
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you as things have changed since I went through the process and every centre is different.  I just wanted to say that I hate the fact that they gave you that warning.  If you (and I and most people on this board), could control our eating we wouldn't need to have weight loss surgery in the first place.  Hang in there, it will be worth it!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jonathin
on 3/27/11 11:18 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I'm with Sandy on this one. I don't see how threats like that are productive. It would likely just stress me out.

I would take steps to prove to them that you are willing to do the steps necessary to increase the success of post-surgery. Even if you can't force yourself to lose weight (I mean.. come on, why did we get to this point?), maybe start a food journal, start making it a point to drink your 2L a day, try some very low-impact exercise, start taking supplements.  

I think they just want to make sure you're willing to start making changes now.

savasana
on 3/28/11 12:56 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
Thank you for your responses; I really appreciate it.  Knowing that kind of threat would make others uncomfortable makes me feel much better about my own reaction lol!

I have started my food journal and some time on the treadmill already so hopefully it will make a difference.

Thanks again!
Moselle
on 3/28/11 1:34 am - Athens, Canada
WTH are they thinking? Just what you need, stress to go along with your wait for surgery!  Not very inspirational. 

As suggested, and you are already doing, just continue to take some steps in the right direction. Reduce or give up pop, caffinated coffee and tea, and try to stop drinking with meals.  All of these changes will make your post-surgery life easier.  Increasing your activity level is another positive change.

Don't worry about your weight; prove your determination by making some positive changes and I'm sure that it will all work out for you.

All the best.
brendy
on 3/28/11 8:23 am - Canada
They told me the same thing over and over again even told us in a group that a surgeon sent someone home because they gained weight and that was before the optifast.

The Dr. I saw said he would like to see me lose 8 pounds. I just starting eating 3 meals a day (which I never did before) cut out all the sugar I could, and just tried to make better choices. I'm now down 12 pounds without trying to hard at all just changing a few things

I believe they just want to scare us so we make sure we really want to do it. Good luck you can do it.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 9:13 am - Toronto, Canada

Dr. Huynh told me to try and maintain my weight only because if I didnt, it would mean 4 weeks of Optifast instead of 3 so it would delay the surgery by a week.   Im 345lbs going in.

I mentioned that I'd like to lose weight, he told me not to worry about that because I'd lose weight on the Optifast.   He thought it would be too stressful to try and lose weight in a short period of time.

After the initial consult, you'll still have to go to the WLS Class that they offer.  That's mandatory.  You'll have to meet with a nutritionist and a medical internist  for testing.   At least that's what's done at Humber.

savasana
on 4/1/11 1:32 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
Thank you for all the input folks!

The doc warned again about gaining weight in my appointment this past week but with the changes I have already made I've lost 2.5 lbs in one week.  I seem to be on the right track so I'll stick with what you all have suggested.

I seem to be well on my way now, all my tests have been ordered, and next appointments scheduled.  I seem to be looking at an August/September surgery which isn't too bad.  They are keeping me busy so far!
flyingwoman
on 4/1/11 3:36 am
I think that there is a small margin of people that between starting the process and surgery gorge and bincge themselves to excess on everything that the can find (I'm talking extreme situations, not regular last supper syndrome) and that those individuals are at a considerably elevated risk for the range of life threatening-specific complications of WLS. That early in the process the teams are unable to differentiate that person from the majority of people that are coming in for treatment. It is safe to assume that the team is not talking about a gain of five or ten pounds.

That said. Losing as little as 5% of your weight prior to surgery provides cardiovasuclar and pulmonary improvement that can help make your surgery a safer experience. Many people think of their journey starting when they start a pre-op diet, but it should start the moment you sign on to the program (or better yet, get referred).

Coping with the emotions you are having right now is your first emotional challenge... the start of a lot of work that we go through to change and evolve our relationship with food. The process of letting go of the way you eat / what you eat can be difficult to cope with, and for many of us, eating was one big coping mechanism in itself.

I'd suggest you do some reading to get started on that journey early: Women Food and God by Geneen Roth and maybe Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers. Both are good starting points to get your head in the game.

Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics