Anyone did the sleeve in ontario under ohip?

Joanne J.
on 4/12/11 6:56 am - Canada
Just want to know cause am leaning towards doing the sleeve if anyone has please let me know
thanks.
Andrew Thompson
on 4/12/11 8:16 am - Canada
In Ontario the sleeve is not available under OHIP.

There are some exceptions though:
1. If you're BMI is very high (>55) they may do a sleeve to allow you to save weight before the RNY. (which was my  case, in the end during the operation RNY was able to be done.)
2. If you're under a pain management regine that involves NSAID.

Before the surgery I kept putting things off. I was never good enough. One of the benefits of WLS is that you start to believe in yourself. Check out my blog:
All Things CPAP

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 8:29 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Here are the requirements for a VSG according to OHIP's Schedule of Benefits.  With that being said, some surgeons seem to still give the patient the option even if they don't meet this criteria.

Note:
1. S114 Sleeve gastrectomy is only eligible for payment when:
a. a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is not possible due to small bowel disease/adhesions or
previous surgery;
or
b. performed as a planned staged surgery in patients with a BMI > 60 to enable the
patient to lose weight.

wannabeonehotmama
on 4/12/11 12:35 pm - Ontario , Canada
I absolutely did NOT meet the 'official 'OHIP criteria, nor did I have any of the 'usual' reasons for VSG- it was a preference, with some 'what if' scenarios in my future that really bothered me.

cindymbear
on 4/12/11 1:20 pm - Brampton, Canada
Before October of 2010 some doctors were more lenient and did VSG.  Since October OHIP has clamped down on VSG surgery unless you meet the criteria as Andrew mentioned.   Don't give up though.  Keep doing your research and absolutely advicate for yourself.  Best wishes on your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 12:56 am, edited 4/13/11 12:58 am - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
I had the sleeve done in June 2010 but I also had adhesions from previous bowel surgery, so not sure which surgery I would've had without that complication, despite the fact that I begged, argued, and fought tooth and nail to get VSG

Despite OHIP guidelines, there APPEARS to be some wiggle room, depending on the surgeon, so I would suggest talking to the surgeon about it directly.  Wish I could offer some positive suggestions.  how do I feel about OHIP's stand on the issue? 

How do I feel about my sleeve? 
spooky104
on 4/13/11 3:19 am - London, Canada
RNY on 07/26/12
i just had my orientation at Guelph and the vsg is what i want while those dreams got crushed pretty fast.. they said that its less then 1% that are getting it .....     they said the guidelines are
if you have polyps,  need serious medication for pain, or have colitis...

i have ibs but its def not colitis...

Referral Date: Feb 3,2010        Orientation Date: April 7,2011  Guelph
Nurse and Dietitian: July 4, 2011 they canceled my apt cause no one was ava :(
Rescheduled Date: August 24 2011  2nd Apts: October 4 2011
Nutrition Class: March 27 2012    Meet the surgeon: April 17 2012

Colonoscopy: June 4 2012   Surgery: July 26 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics