Need to get back on track - help!

stephleo
on 4/13/11 7:27 am - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Hi there
I am almost 2 years post op. This winter the scale has started going in the wrong direction. I know I've gotten into bad habits. Does anyone have some ideas for kickstarting to get back on the plan. I am having trouble sticking to anything.  I know the obvious answers. Maybe someone needs to just give me a kick! HELP
Steph

If you always do, what you've always done, you'll always get, what you always got!

stephlgreen.jpg picture by lynnca1972
Kristen D.
on 4/13/11 7:42 am - Kingston , Canada
Hang in there Steph. Try and get back to basics....protein first, veggies second then carbs. Avoid drinking while eating *though I battle with this one myself* And try and move more...that's all I got. I know how easy it is to slip, I have little treats now and again. I just try and keep it at a treat, not an every day occurance

My Angel is Karen M

stephleo
on 4/13/11 7:50 am - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Kristen
For the first year all I could have was pureed soups. Found out later it was an ulcer. Anyway, now its like I have to be grazing all the time. I didn't do that before the surgery! Craving sugar and salt! grrr. I think I've just got to go cold turkey on the carbs.
Steph

If you always do, what you've always done, you'll always get, what you always got!

Kristen D.
on 4/13/11 8:29 am - Kingston , Canada
I get HUGE sugar cravings when I am all hormonal and try and satisfy the beast with 1 or 2 chocolate kisses....when I graze I try and have fruit or veggies handy..or some triscuits with some cream cheese...I love carbs and have to watch them, but I don't see them as the root of all evil like some people do.  I believe in moderation in all things.  I know if I restrict anything 100%  I will eventually break and binge which never ends well for me.  I am glad they finally figured out what was going on with you.  I remember reading your posts when I first started this whole process and I was so worried for you.

My Angel is Karen M

Patti K.
on 4/13/11 8:12 am - Kingston On, Canada
Steph....have you thot about tackling the 5 day pouch test??  just a thot...good luck...Patti K.

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/13/11 9:06 am - Windsor, Canada
Start with tracking your eating and seeing what percentage of carbs, protein, fats etc make up your eating each day. Track to see how many calories you are taking in.

Analyze the data is the best start I can think of.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karlalala
on 4/13/11 10:50 am - London, Canada
Hey Steph!

You and I are having the same issues.  This week i decided that I was taking control back.  I have promised myself that each day i will post on the What Are You Eating/Doing Today post.  The last few days I have found that it is helpful as it is making me think through my choices a little more carefully.  The other women that post there are also great at checkin in on your choices and making suggestions or sometimes even giving a little kick in the pants when needed.  You should come join us!

Do not try to go through this alone!  Come and stay connected!!!!  We can help hold each other accountable!

You can do this!!!!!!

Karla

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

stephleo
on 4/13/11 11:10 am - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, I feel like I'm losing my mind. Do you ever feel like everyone is watching you waiting for you to fail? Don't feel like I can admit it to anyone else! Probably just paranoid, but there it is. I will get myself psyched up a little for the next couple of days and start on the weekend. that way if things get ugly there won't be anyone around to take it out on!
Steph

ericaFG
on 4/13/11 12:19 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Ok - don't "psych up" and wait for the weekend.  That kind of thinking gets us into this place in the first place.

Start now.  Tonight.  Stop grazing and get drinking water.  Make a plan for tomorrow and organize yourself tonight so that you can stick with it. 

I found a few things have been causing me to gain this winter, and I'm trying hard to get back on track.  Down a couple lbs, with about 7 more to go.  So, it ia do-able:
1) cut down/eliminate all "calorie" drinks (wine, frappuchino's, juice etc.)
2) up my water intake.  When I feel "hungry" and it hasn't been long enough, drink more water.
3) eating only every 3 hours AT LEAST.  Make sure if I'm going to eat - it's a good one, not a "grab-snack" and will keep me for 3 hours.
4) up my exercise.  Commit to doing something active EVERY day.  This takes planning in advance - particularly on super busy days.
5) cutting down the carbs - upping the protein.  Adding in more veggies and a few fruits to my meals/snacks to fill me up without a lot of calories.
6) track and record my food daily on the "what are you eating" thread.  It really does help to write it down.  I might need to start tracking calories as well soon if things stop moving again...
7) getting back to weighing and measuring my food instead of guessing.  Funny how portion sizes can kinda creep up.

YOu really need to commit to this.  Coming here and talking about it is one thing (and a good one).  Now you have to change.  And right now, not "later".  If you postpone, sometimes you keep putting things off, over and over....
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Karlalala
on 4/13/11 1:44 pm - London, Canada
Sounds like you have a great plan in place for yourself Erica.....you made me stop and think that I probably need to start weighing and measuring my food again for a bit....I wonder if my protion sizes have snuck up on me and I haven't noticed!?!?!  Good point Erica!  Thanks!

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics