question about caffeine

kellyb_1969
on 4/15/11 8:42 am - Canada
I was just wondering about WLS and caffeine.  Are we not supposed to have any at all, ever?  Or will a little bit not hurt after a certain period of time?  I'm not a coffee drinker but since I can't have pop anymore, I would sure like to have some Iced Tea once in a while.  Will it hurt my pouch?

Kelly

happypants
on 4/15/11 9:02 am - Ottawa, Canada
The dietitian explained that caffeine is like putting sandpaper in your pouch. I guess this to mean that its abrasive. I never did get a chance to ask more about it as the class was moving rather fast...:( Perhaps some of the others can chime in and explain more

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 9:22 am, edited 4/15/11 9:24 am

I met the surgeon on April 12 and received a patient information guide. This is what it said about caffeine.
Caffeine irritates the ling of the stomach. After surgery, caffeine may increase the risk of ulcers in your new, small stomach pouch. You will need to stop taking caffeine at least one month before surgery. Continue to avoid caffeine after surgery. You may be able to include small amounts of caffeine two to three months after surgery.
I am having my surgery in Ottawa. Your centre may have different rules.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 9:22 am - Canada
I'm not sure either the reasons for not having caffeine. Back in the day it was thought that caffeine dehydrated you. That has since been disproven.
I've also heard that caffeine, being a stimulant, might make you feel hungry and therefore encourage over eating.
There are lots of things that can irritate your pouch and I'm sure that caffeine could be one of them.
You should ALWAYS do what you have been told (disclaimer!!)
Personally I waited 6mths and then started having regular coffee. I'm still cautious and keep it to 2 cups a day and have decaff after that. I don't have any pouch issues. I do get hungry but I'm not sure that it is the caffeine talking.
I love my morning coffee!!!

sam1am
on 4/15/11 9:34 am
 I was allowed caffeine, as tolerated.  I probably started within a week of surgery with decaf, then gradually added caffeine to it.  I now mix two cans of decaf with one can of regular and end up with 2/3 caffeine free, because that is the way I like it.  I do drink full caffeine when I'm out.  I think you'll be absolutely fine with iced tea once in a while - sugar free.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

bevvib
on 4/15/11 9:25 pm - Ingersoll, Canada
With the Guelph program, you are allowed to introduce caffeine again after 6 months. I find that I really don't enjoy the taste of the same teas with caffeine anymore so I just stick to some herbal teas.
Good luck!
Bevvib

Most Active
Recent Topics