1 yr after and what I have learned!!!

looking21
on 4/23/11 7:31 am - Ottawa, Canada
Well....what a ride and journey the past year has been. I have lost 120 pounds and life is wonderful. This surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself. When I started the journey I was just ending a 5 year bout with deep depression, a divorce and anxiety. I couldn't walk very well, bend to clip my nails without pulling a muscle, hard to shower, finding clothes to fit well and look nice, social life going down the tubes and a very low self esteem.
   Throughout the journey I found the darkness turn to light. The wonderful compliments which I was determined to accept graciously and hold dear to my heart to help me through. I can now bend easily, have thrown out so many clothes that I have supported Good Will thoroughly!!! I went from a size 24 to a 12 and am now happy to shop for clothes. I am now dating and have many compliments and approaches from various men. Though I am being pickier this time round!!! My self esteem has allowed me to be choosier and looking out for my own best intrests. For my anniversary I bought myself some tatooed eye liner ( permanent makeup).
    What I have learned is that protein is my friend, laxatives are a must for me, to stop weighing myself daily because the scale will mess with your mind but to do it weekly instead, that the OH site is better than a therapist!! especially Karen, Erin and Dawn who I eagerly read to see what advice they have. They are so full of sound advice. I have learned that support groups are great to keep me on track.
    Please...any newbies. be patient, don't give up, follow the rules as told and you will also have success. Good luck to all of you who are starting the journey and I wish you all the best
Lori

Decision to have surgery  Sept 09
Sleep Study  Oct 09
Application to OHIP for OOC Dec1 09
OHIP OOC approval Dec24 09
Nuttrition and met surgeon  Jan 19th '10 
Surgery April 2010

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about dancing in the rain!!            
wls123
on 4/23/11 7:48 am - Ottawa, Canada
Congratulations!  I'm so happy that you love your RNY.  Keep up  the good work.

Jodi

Optifast starting weight 272 lbs
Surgery weight 256 lbs

My Angel is Sheri139        
Diminishing Dawn
on 4/23/11 8:01 am - Windsor, Canada
Hi Lori

Congratulations on your new life. It does seem that your life has dramatically improved, healthwise and more.  It sounds like you are doing fantastic and enjoying life remarkably!

Thanks as well for the kind words.

Happy surgiversary!!

Dawn :)

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

t uppence
on 4/23/11 8:07 am - Ottawa, Canada
Congratulations Lori, glad to hear everything is  well with you.
Penny Lynn                                                                  
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning but anyone can start today and make a new ending".. 

Referral sent Dec /09   Info class  Feb/11    Nut/Beh/Int May/11    Education class Sept/11   
Surgeon appt  Oct /11

Karen M.
on 4/23/11 8:26 am - Mississauga, Canada
Lori, I am absolutely thrilled for you.  Your post brought tears to my eyes - I just couldn't be happier for you. You have made so many positive changes in your life. Enjoy every moment - you've earned it. XO

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/23/11 8:26 am
Wonderful post!  Good luck dating!
Ezlivin
on 4/23/11 10:09 am - Windsor, Canada
Congratulations Lori

What an inspirational post........you go girl  you have done wonderful!!!!

Judy

Surgeon's goal 155 - 160
NUT goal 140
My own personal goal  125.

HW  237(Optifast weight)  SW  214   CW  111

Yummy recipies to try.....  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/welcome/  

Patricia R.
on 4/23/11 10:51 am - Canada
BRAVO!!!!!! I can't wait until I can write a post just like this one!!!!!  Way to go!!!!!   
Patricia

Sheritk
on 4/23/11 10:54 am - Canada
Congratulations...loved reading your post!! Wishing you all the best with dating too! Have fun...

Sheri
  Cheryl M is my   aka...chermull6

northernlight
on 4/23/11 11:24 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Lori!

Thanks so much for posting that - as a newbie, it really inspires me and it's so nice hearing from another "veteran" that life is very good and you're happy with your decision.  You sound like you are in a very contented, happy place and that you truly like yourself and your life nowadays - good for you!  How wonderful to go from a size 24 down to a 12 - oh, how I hope that happens to me, too! You must look terrific! I'm glad to hear that you rewarded yourself - it's what I always did each year on the date I quit smoking!
Big congratulations to you, Lori !!!!  

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics