Off Topic..but..Learning to Appreciate

DebbieT1961
on 4/28/11 9:15 am - Canada
With the major windstorm that we had today, many things have happened around our place. First of all, it was recycle/garbage day...need I say more? While I was in town (about 15 drive away and we live way off the beaten path) to have my 4 mo. diabetes bloodwork taken, I came home to find that the bluebox and garbage can took a little trip east on their own..what a mess to clean up! The power went out and stayed out until 5:15 pm..so, no breakfast as I had to fast for the bloodwork. Cold coffee and a bit of cheese and cold chicken had to suffice while we waited for the power to come back on. Our barbeque, which is quite huge, was blown over 3 times and we had to move it to the east side of the house, now we think it is not repairable. My son called from his school, asking to be picked up because they had no power. Thanks to his teacher for the use of her cell phone or he would have had to sit around for 4 hours waiting for his bus transportation.  We ended up having to go out for an early supper after calling different areas to see if they actually had power (I was ok with that..I was starving at this point..no grehlin? Not in my case) and when we got home, at 5:15, the power had just come on 2 minutes prior.  I made a pot of coffee, turned the furnace on and made a pot of chili..and appreciating all of it...a warm drink, a warm house and a warm pot of 'goodness' simmering on the stove.  Like the old saying goes...You never appreciate anything until it's gone! There's nothing more humbling than appreciation of the little things in life.
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 10:00 am, edited 4/28/11 10:01 am - Canada
I was on Carling Ave. in Ottawa this afternoon and it was ugly. Garbage, road signs, trees, you name it and it was all out there. What a mess! Thanks for posting.
Diminishing Dawn
on 4/28/11 10:02 am, edited 4/28/11 10:03 am - Windsor, Canada
LOL

I had a tree fall on my house today! 

Now THAT's crazy weather!!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

sam1am
on 4/28/11 11:11 pm
We had a huge limb of a tree come down too, no damage.  My sister, a couple of blocks away, had a wild turkey show up on her front lawn in the middle of town.  They don't fly much so, did it just blow in????

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

DebbieT1961
on 4/29/11 9:51 am - Canada
We've been out and about today, getting emission tests done on our vehicles and hearing stories of the damage. Supposedly, a tornado ripped through a small village just south east of us..and to the west..a barn had been picked up and plopped down on a road..so many trees have been uprooted..crazy crazy weather! We had no power again from 1 am to 4:15 this afternoon, due to a tree down on a power box just down the road from us..I hope that is it for a while!
Most Active
Recent Topics