Unusual dramatic weight loss - what do you think?

Donna C.
on 4/30/11 7:57 am - Durham Region, Canada
So a little background info.....  I used to take both a beta blocker and water pill each day - and after the bulk of my weight loss - i was able to go down to just a water pill.

When I was MO I used to retain water quite a bit - especially when flying - which I do alot of for work.  I haven't had a noticiable water retention since my RNY surgery - where I gained 30 lbs while in the hospital from the fluids they pumped into me.

So my weight has been hanging at about 168 for a month or so..... this has been quite frustrating as I seemed to be gaining weight quite easily.  I came home last Saturday - after three weeks of travelling (home of the weekends) - after a horrible night on the plane - on a red eye where I couldn't sleep at all.  While I was away I ran out of my Nexium and had been off them for about 3 days.   I noticed that my feet were quite swollen when I got off of the plane in the morning.

When I got home and weighed myself - I was 174.  I had gained 6 lbs in 1 week! WTF!!   I decided to take my blood pressure cuff out and take a look-see because of all of the water retention and it was over the roof:  180/112

So I upped my water pill to 2 pills a day (1 in the evening and 1 in the morning) for the last week.  I am still off of the Nexium (haven't had time to get to a walk-in this week to get a new prescription).  So here is where it gets really crazy.  I have lost 13 lbs this week.  When I weighed myself this morning I am 161.  I knew I had at least 6 or 7 lbs of extra water - but the scale just keeps going down.  I'm not doing anything really different food-wise - other than i don't seem to be as hungry or pre-occupied with food - so probably eating a bit less.  Could I have been carrying that much water?  My rings still feel tight and I am not de-hydrated.  Could it be that I am off the Nexium?

I am going to go to the walk-in tomorrow to see a doctor (I don't have one - just moved to Belleville in Feb).

HW/SW/CW/Orig GW/New GW   328/311/161/153/142   LOVE my RNY!!!!      

sueberman
on 4/30/11 8:26 am
My hubby is in renal failure so we know abou****er retention, if you upped the water pill to double it can get rid of excess fluid that fast.  I'm sure you know the trick about pressing your ankle to see if you're retraining fluids - are you still?  just a good thing you are going to a doc tomorrow to make sure. 

Good luck
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Karen M.
on 4/30/11 8:31 am - Mississauga, Canada
What trick is that Sue?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sueberman
on 4/30/11 1:10 pm

press your thumb into the skin and if the imprint stays, you're retaining fluid.  People *****gularly retain fluid will also have fluctuating bp's too.

Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Karen M.
on 4/30/11 1:14 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Thanks to my blood clots, I do this test regularly. Yep - retaining water. Thankfully my BP is consistent.  Thanks Sue.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

poppy1
on 4/30/11 9:11 am - Toronto, Canada
Off topic ..Donna ...we would love to see you at one of the weekly Belville or Peterborough coffee nights . I live between the two ..if you ever want to meet up ...welcome to the neighbourhood xx
Linda x
Kelshy
on 4/30/11 11:17 am - Cannifton, Canada
When I retain fluids weight can go up dramatically in a very short time... same the other direction using diuretics. So I don't find the change all that surprising.

Do make sure you don't dehydrate yourself and playing with diuretics can mess with your electrolytes as well. You should check that out with the Doctor when you get to see one. 

PS: I am in Belleville as well! Welcome to the friendly city!

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

Most Active
Recent Topics