Curious, Who is or has Done RNY open or lap?

ShrinkingHopefully
on 5/3/11 3:37 pm
 Just because I am curious. Are most of the RNY surgeries being done lap these days???

Mine, back in the olden days was done open with 36 steel staples in my gut afterwards, not fun! Lap sounds much, much, MUCH easier and quicker to recover from. It seems reading the board that the whole process has changed for the better.  More support pre op and post op.  Use to be no support. Saw my surgeon the day of the surgery, right before  the surgery, and never saw him again.  I realize it must be frustrating to go through seeing this person, that person, the wait, the preop diet etc. But the grass is not greener on the other side. I would of given anything for that support at the time.

I am truely amazed by how much things have changed.

onikenbai
on 5/3/11 3:54 pm - Canada
I think all surgeries are now being done lap if possible. Sometimes there may be a compelling reason to open you up completely, but the recovery time is a lot longer.
ToNewBeginnings
on 5/3/11 7:23 pm
Mine was by lap. I wouldn't think they would do them open anymore but it will be interesting to find out.
I met my surgeon on the stretcher in front of the operating room door. Disgusting. Before my "meet the surgeon" appointment I asked if I would be meeting the one who would be doing my surgery. I was told it was a 50-50 chance as there were two of them. Then after meeting a resident who's first day it was, and him leaving and talking to the surgeon in another room, coming back and then saying I could go, I refused to sign the Dr.'s  consent form  until the surgeon came in the room and talked with me. He ended up being the other 50%. I digress.
As for support, I have regular scheduled appointmnets with a nurse and a dietician.
I have to say some of the best support I have found is on these boards.
mom4life
on 5/3/11 7:57 pm - Port Rowan, Canada
Mine was done laprascopically.  I believe they only do them open now if there are complications that prevent lap, such as too much existing scar tissue from previous surgeries.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

GD6
on 5/3/11 11:06 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I had my surgery in the US and it was performed open.  That said, my incision is only 2.5' long and I had no gas issues afterwards since it wasn't performed lap they didn't need to fill me with gas to perform the operation.

I could have had the choice of having it done lap with my surgeon's partner but I wanted a particular surgeon as he had done thousands of RNY's.

I met with him at a seminar, and a private consultation prior to surgery.  I spoke with him for a few minutes pre surgery and for a little while post.  I met with him on my first appointment post surgery but since then have been meeting with his Physician Assistants, I'm sure if there was a problem or concern I could have a meeting with him since his set up is a private clinic rather than as a "staff surgeon" at a hospital.

The clinic I went through offers support groups twice a month, I wish I lived closer and was able to take advantage of them more often, but I have been to a couple.

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

flyingwoman
on 5/4/11 1:33 am
I had lap RNY. My recovery was short and relatively easy.
Most Active
Recent Topics