eating until full

debralight
on 6/12/11 4:08 am - Canada
I thought someplace along the line we were told to stop eating when we were no longer hungry.  That we weren't to stop when we were full (that full belly feeling means we ate to much) but when we had sated our hunger.

I'm reading people really soon out from surgery eating til they are full. Am i misunderstanding or did i get it wrong?  And early out we don't really get the feedback - hence the importance of measuring and eating small amounts.

Personally i now hate that full feeling. I like to feel satisfied and not hungry but not "full".

Should we eat til we are full?
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 4:15 am - Toronto, Canada
That's actually something I've been working on since starting this journey - not eating to fullness.

We were told the same thing in both orientation & at the gastric bypass class - measure everything & only eat until satisfied.

Eating until full & beyond is what got me where I am now. That full limit was always pushed further & further until it disappeared. It took a long time to feel hunger and fullness again.
OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/12/11 4:22 am
Not sure if it is a matter of semantics or not.  I know that it is a fine line for me between satiated and full and full usually equals vomiting very soon.  Even 21 months out I try to measure out food that I am in danger of over eating.  Certainly I would stand by the advice to measure everything you are eating early out.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

ericaFG
on 6/12/11 4:45 am - Cambridge, Canada
Yup - that's what I was told.

A good book/audio book to read is called Intuitive Eating (by Tribole and Resch).  Check out their website here:  http://www.intuitiveeating.org/

They have a bunch of exercises that you can try to get yourself to recognize that true "full" feeling of just satisfied, instead of our traditional STUFFED feeling.

One thing they talk about is the need to SLOW DOWN.  It takes a bit for the body to register the full/satisfied feeling.  They also talk about how cravings are usually satisfied in 4-6 bites, and after that, we really don't taste the food anymore...we just eat until the serving we made is done.  Hence the need for small servings.

Now that I'm at goal and maintaining, I don't measure everything anymore.  BUT I have containers for food that I use - and a smaller plate...and with experience, I know how much goes in that container or plate to be my serving.  When I eat new food, I measure.  And I measure "traditional" food every few weeks to make sure I'm still on track.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Quinns_mommy
on 6/12/11 5:54 am
I like Erica's distinction between "full" and "stuffed". Debra, I don't think we are supposed to "stuff" ourselves, but eat until we feel "full" - for me at 1 month out, that's only about 2oz of food.

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
Monica M.
on 6/12/11 6:05 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
eat till youre satisfied. I think its difficult to quantify it, its such an arbitrary word. Full might mean one thing to someone, different to you. Eat until you're comfortable. And yes,early out, you don't get that "full" or "satisfied" feeling, so eat the measured amounts.

Quinns_mommy
on 6/12/11 6:25 am, edited 6/12/11 6:28 am
I have been getting a full feeling since I was in the hospital only eating my pills with applesauce at a tbsp at a time. I think everyone is different. I now feel FULL and real HUNGER, which is "satisfied" with just a little tiny snack.

I also HATE that "stuffed" feeling - had it all the time later in my pregnancy. I have been respecting my pouch and making sure that I eat until I am satisfied/full (whatever you want to call it), but not STUFFED.

If I listen to my body, it is easy for me to distinguish the difference between head hunger and actual pouch hunger. My surgeon said it's perfectly normal to feel full/hungry at this point, but that some people don't.

:)

Edited to add: However, I still measure my foods.

Lil-Stinker
on 6/12/11 7:54 am
i was under the4 impression that for the first 6 months after surgery we would always feel full even with only a few tablespoons of food.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
Quinns_mommy
on 6/12/11 8:31 am
I don't think everyone is like that, but I sure do get the feeling of being full and that's when I know it's time to stop eating. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics