Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group Of Durham Region.

Smiles1967
on 6/25/11 11:58 am, edited 6/25/11 2:51 pm - Oshawa, Canada
Hi Everyone.

My name is Stephen and I have started a new meetup group in Oshawa. We have our first meeting scheduled for Thursday August 4 at 7:00 pm. Feel free to message me about the details.

Our link is www.meetup.com/Gastric-Bypass-Surgery-Support-Group-Of-Durha m-Region/  

If the link does not work search Oshawa groups for Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group Of Durham Region.

Stephen
OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/25/11 2:01 pm, edited 6/25/11 2:05 pm
So VSG and Lap bands are not welcome??

Sorry Stephen pet peeve of mine. . .I think if you are going to start a weight loss support group you should be aware that the term "gastric bypass" is not interchangeable with bariatric surgery.  The term Bypass refers to the re-routing of the intestine.  VSG and banding are restrictive bariatric procedures.  Unless of course your intent was to exclude this group.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Smiles1967
on 6/25/11 2:49 pm, edited 6/25/11 2:50 pm - Oshawa, Canada
Hi Oknee  

Thanks for your message. My intent is to help people. The short answer is that everyone is welcome no matter what procedure they have had or are contemplating having and no one will be excluded. The longer answer is that I thought that starting a support group in an area that felt familiar to me would be the wisest first step for me to take in the direction of supporting others.   

In June 2009 feeling very scared and alone I made the trip to Michigan to have my Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Looking back over the last 2 years I realize how much research I actually had to do for myself by myself in order to be successful and healthy today.  

I want to help others to be as successful as I have been in their weight loss journey. I hope that over time I will be able to broaden my areas of expertise to be able to help all people no matter what bariatric procedure or surgery they have had or are contemplating. For now…I will start where I feel most comfortable and take things day by day and one step at a time like I did two years ago.  

Thanks again for your message.  
Stephen
OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/25/11 3:00 pm
Hi Stephen please don't get me wrong. . .I do applaud your imitative in starting a support group, there is never enough where and when it is needed.

You might consider a name change like surgical weight loss support group so all Bariatric Surgical patients feel included and welcome. . .

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Smiles1967
on 8/5/11 11:52 pm - Oshawa, Canada

A big thanks to all of the members that made it out to our first Thursday night meeting. I feel that the meeting was a great success and based on the feedback it was the beginning of great things to come.

We are hosting our next meeting on Thursday September 1 @ 7:00 pm. Future meetings will be hosted on the first Thursday of every month starting @ 7:00 pm.

Feel free to bring a guest for support.

We hope to see you all out to the next meeting.  Feel free to email any questions or meeting ideas that you may have.

Feel free to send your emails and comments to my personal email box 
[email protected]

Thanks to Nikki for her very informative talk on nutrition and fitness. 

The link to our Meet up group is www.gastronomicsuccess.com

Yours in health.

Stephen

heatherp
on 6/25/11 10:39 pm, edited 6/25/11 10:44 pm - BROOKLIN, Canada
heatherp
on 6/25/11 10:50 pm, edited 6/25/11 10:53 pm - BROOKLIN, Canada
http://www.meetup.com/Durham-Region-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Supp ort-Group/ is a group that has been running since 2007. We meet at Tauntonmills Retirement Village (Taunton/Brock in whitby, south west corner) every second Tuesday at 7pm. Come join us, there are usually 15-25 people in various stages of the WLS journey. The next meeting is June Tues 28th. hope to see you there and best wishes for you new meet up.

sorry, had to work on the link!

Hannahmumma03
on 6/26/11 1:39 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
Hi there everyone! I am new to this ontario forum and am in Oshawa and will keep both groups in mind. Thank you both for posting the links for both groups!!
Cherdra
on 12/8/13 8:58 am - Pickering, Canada

Hi,

I am looking to join a gastric bypass meet up group. If you could please contact me at me e-mail address: [email protected], Also do you have a facebook page.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheryl

x_Kimberly_x
on 1/16/14 5:31 am - Oshawa, Canada

Are there any groups still running in Durham Region?  Please contact me through email at [email protected]  None of the links provided are working for me, and I'm not sure why.

Most Active
Recent Topics