shopping

Monica M.
on 6/24/11 9:11 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I've been doing a bit of shopping, i've decided that dresses through the summer will be more versatile, with changing sizes.

I went to reitmans, which has plus and regular sizes, and i kept feeling like i was out of place on the regular size (even tho i can fit into the right XL or size 16 - 18 dress). Today, i went to Joe, in Zehrs, and i was feeling the same thing, like i was in impostor. I did end up getting a dress, and a cardigan (dress in XL, cardigan in XXL, but it was the only one the right colour, and it was only 10 bucks). I think that's the last xxl i'll be buying. It's just odd, being in that section of the store.

Quinns_mommy
on 6/24/11 9:31 am

Monica. Did you see my previous post about shopping? I was shopping in the 'regular' section today too, and to be honest, I also felt a little weird about it lol...

GO US!

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
Monica M.
on 6/24/11 11:46 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
yes, i saw your post... i should have said something, you're amazing. I wonder when i'll feel like i belong in the regular section.

Quinns_mommy
on 6/25/11 3:14 am

Oh no worries! I'm just glad we are both inching closer to goal!

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
StevesGal
on 6/24/11 9:35 am - Hamilton, Canada
Well done, Monica!

I bet it felt weird.  I know my brain 'hears' the people around me when I walk thru the smaller section -- 'And just what is she doing in here?'  And I probably will for some time.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Moselle
on 6/24/11 11:13 am - Athens, Canada
I know it really does seem very strange to shop in the "regular" size stores.  I still look at my size 16 pants and think I'll never get those on. I take them out of the dryer and think who's are these? Did these shrink?  They look so small, but not only can I get them on, but they are starting to get a little baggy. It is going to just take us some time to adjust to differences.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

samtq
on 6/25/11 5:35 am - Ottawa, Canada
this is very exciting and it gets better and better!  It takes a while but you will feel comfortable in regular size stores eventually.  When I was close to my goal weight I needed fall clothes for work and was walking around the mall, popping in and out of different stores.  I had no clue where to start to be honest.  I needed everything for a fall wardrobe and was completely overwhelmed.  Eventually I found myself in Cleo because I knew they had petite lengths and after about 5 minutes a sales lady offered her assistance.  

I took a deep breath and said "yes, actually!  Last year I was a size 22 and now I'm a 6-8 on top and a 10-12 on the bottom and I have no clothes for the fall."  Well she took on this challenge like a trooper!  We walked around the store together grabbing things that I liked and she put me in a fitting room.  While I was trying on the things we chose together she was running back and forth bringing me other things to try and different sizes.  Two hours later I had a beautiful wardrobe for work and she had a fantastic sale!  I saved a lot also because of the size of my sale I qualified to cash in my loyalty points (which I earned on that sale) to get a discount.  

This was well worth the time for me as it accomplished a couple of things:  1) I got the clothes I needed, 2) because the sales lady had me try on different things I was exposed to styles I may not have otherwised tried, 3) it helped increase my comfort level in a regular sized store. 4) I felt GREAT after!!

Now I know this isn't always a practical option for everyone but if you have a budget you can certainly ask the sales lady to work within that for you.  Alternately you can have a trusted friend go with you but choose one who will push your clothing boundaries.  You will be amazed at what looks great on you!
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151