Surgery date changes anyone?

Radiogirl39
on 6/25/11 6:44 am - Canada
Has anybody had any "playing room" with their surgery date?  Surgeon said that I should expect  my date to be in September and that they are given their OR time a month in advance.  My problem is that I have am turning 40 in October and a friend has booked a week at her time share in Vegas.  Even though I can't wait to have this done and start my new life, I don't want to cancel and don't really want to have strained cream of mushroom soup for my birthday dinner, lol.  The trip can't be moved and she would lose her vacation week for the year.  Not to mention September is still really busy at work and my supervisors will be less than thrilled.

The doctor said 'first come, first served" and I should take whatever date I get.  But if I defer my surgery til later, someone else moves up, no?  Was kinda hoping for early November.
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 6:51 am - Canada
If you need a later date I'm sure they can book it later. I was asked when I wanted the surgery & I told them ASAP but the receptionist gave me a choice of days. When you go for your appt to book the surgery just ask them if you can book it for November.
StevesGal
on 6/25/11 7:34 am - Hamilton, Canada

I wouldn't worry about it until the time gets closer - like when they call you to book, simply ask for an October date.  When in October will you be away?  If they call in August for September, they might not have their October schedule yet.

Do you have any other appts left?  If so, why not ask for them to be pushed back a bit, so that your surgery date will be more towards what you want.  Just tell them you have a conflict - they don't need all the details - and that you need to push things back a bit.

And, if they say "No", then your decision is made for you.  I've heard that they only give you 2 chances at surgery, then you're persona non grata.  It's great your friend wants to take you away, but I'm sure she can get someone else to go this year, and take a slimmer you next year.  Two 40th Birthdays!!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Radiogirl39
on 6/25/11 8:04 am - Canada
The Vegas week is Oct 11-18th. Never thought about pushing stuff back, but don't like to mess with the appointments either.  I have ALL my appointments still - bariatric class, social worker, nutritionist, internist, another surgeon appt and any medical tests my internist requests.

And you are right, if I can't change it, I'm having a crappy birthday and a very upset friend, but it will be worth it.
StevesGal
on 6/25/11 8:20 am - Hamilton, Canada

If you've still got all those appts to go, chances are you won't have to worry.  Enjoy Vegas.  See a show and think of us back here!

Radiogirl39
on 6/25/11 9:35 am - Canada

The irony is I my sister is making me go to Vegas next month.  Not looking forward to 120 degree heat  at my highest weight with my sister who just lost 70 lbs.....

KristieA
on 6/25/11 10:40 am - Orillia, Canada
I had my surgery the day before my 40th birthday. It was jello, water and cream soup for me. My son really wanted to bring me cake, but quickly realized that wasn't such a great idea...lol.

I figure it was the best birthday present I could have ever given myself.

Whatever you decide I am sure it will all work out.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

NurseTammy
on 6/26/11 11:05 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Yeah.....my surgery date is July 26th, my Birthday is July 23rd ..... I wonder if i can make a cake out of optifast?  *shudder*

My date has been pushed back once.

Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

Radiogirl39
on 6/28/11 10:26 am - Canada
If only there was birthday cake flavoured Optifast, lol!  I'm considering trying to reschedule my internist appt so it's a little later so I'm delaying the process a little. Which kinda sucks, cuz what I'd rather do is go on the cancellation list and try and get my surgery sooner.

Good luck Tammy.
Most Active
Recent Topics