What would you do if you weren't scared?

Radiogirl39
on 7/19/11 10:41 pm - Canada
Just a thought.  How many things would we do to change our lives if we were not afraid of the unknown?  How many chances for new and wonderful experiences have we let pass us by because we were unsure about our wants and needs?  Not letting this chance pass me by.

Karen M.
on 7/19/11 10:45 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I've often pondered this thought.  I suppose I've let a few things pass me by, but I'm generally (and always was) a very confident, assertive person and really try to ensure that I'm getting the most out of my endeavors.  Usually.

As for getting WLS - I had no doubts, no fears, nothing but anticipation of a brighter future, healthwise.  Sure, I had a few jitters, but nothing was stopping me going forward.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

on_my_way2011
on 7/19/11 11:47 pm - Canada
I am with Karen on this one.  I am sure there have been a few things that have happened (or not happened) due to fear in my life, but for the most part I would say I rarely let fear keep me down. 

I dealt with a lot of mental health issues as a teen and well into my twenties.  Ten years ago I was a high school dropout, single mom on welfare.  Since then I have gone back to school (started my grade twelve year the same day my daughter started JK), gone to university, got two degrees, bought a house and a car, raised a beautiful, intelligent, respectful, joy-to-be-around 16 year old daughter, started a career, was elected (twice now) into a role of great responsibility as president of a union local and made many other personal and professional achievements. 

I am a facts/logical person, so any time I am faced with something new, I just find out the facts and that usually gets me through.

Generally, once I decide to do something (like WLS), there is no turning back and few doubts along the way.

Of course, some obesity related fears (breaking/not fitting into a chair, needing seatbelt extenders, not fitting in rides, not being able to keep up with a group, sweating to the point of embarrassment) are there and I am looking so forward to them being gone!!!

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Karen M.
on 7/19/11 11:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Tracy, what an inspirational testimony to perseverance and hope.  You made my day. :)

Karen

on_my_way2011
on 7/20/11 12:16 am - Canada
Thanks Karen :) It has been an interesting journey.

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Karen M.
on 7/20/11 12:17 am - Mississauga, Canada
No, thank YOU for sharing that.  It truly meant something to me - mostly that I need to take a step back and realise that my own journey has been a pretty easy one, relatively speaking.  Your message was humbling.

Karen

Aelfwynn
on 7/20/11 12:53 am - Canada
How wonderful for your daughter to have such an amazing strong woman to look up to. . You really are an inspiration.
mamaty
on 7/19/11 11:56 pm, edited 7/19/11 11:58 pm
I would go for walks through my property on my own..BUT I live in bear country (I saw a big one last week)

I wish I wasnt such a scardy cat, but I choose to not be made a meal :)

Erin

PS, I also have to say that since my upcoming WLS was approved, Ive put my own needs as more of a priority. Like going back to school, I have put this off for ever, not now! I start college in September for my PSW cirtification...and Im pretty damn proud of myself lol

Karen M.
on 7/19/11 11:58 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I'm with you on that one!  Hell, I won't even go to the outhouse at night at the cottage by myself for fear of bears! LOL

Karen

mamaty
on 7/20/11 12:02 am

haha when I was pregnant I worked nights and would get home at 3-4am ....I always did the run to the house like a monster was chasing me lol

Most Active
Recent Topics