HRRH Bariatric Program

Miss-Amanda
on 7/30/11 5:40 am - Canada
So frustrated with the Bariatric Program at HRRH.  I had booked all of my follow up appts months in advance - now have booked my hotel since I could only get my appts for first thing in the morning (appt next week).  The call me yesterday to say they need to cancel them!  WTH!!  When I said that this is an issue becuase I have to take time off of work (due to the 4hrs travel to get there)...I will loose the hotel that I have booked (and now have paid for)...she said they were sorry but they were short staffed.  They were the ones who booked the appointment for me!!  You would think that when THEY book the appointments THEY would be there!  ARGH!
So what do they do if you don't go to these "follow up" appointments?  I am only 6 months out!  I feel amazing and the weight is coming off good,  My vitamins are good, I feel amazing...

I think I am done with this travel crap to only have them call and tell me a week before they need to cancel.....

BrigitteD
on 7/30/11 5:58 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Maybe you could have your follow up at a closer hospital?  Depending were you are situating!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

on_my_way2011
on 7/30/11 6:48 am - Canada
That does suck!  However, just so you know, last Monday (July 25) one of the dieticians came in and said she was leaving...that day!  I was there for appointments on the 26th and they had called to cancel all of her appointments, but three people still showed up (said they didn't get the message).  I think they have been scrambling since then...

I would try calling the hotel.  I stay in hotels three or four times a month for business and every one I have stayed in allows you to cancel up until 6pm the night before without penalty.  If you have already paid they may give you a credit for when you rebook.

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Barb L.
on 7/30/11 7:22 am - Toronto, Canada
See if you can follow up with your family doctor or someone near you.   I follow up with my family doctor all the time.  I saw the surgeon twice and both times I had to wait 3 hours.  Then, all he did was weight me. 
I only went back to get an endoscope done and that was it.
The nutritionist can also do call appointments.   I couldn't make it because I also have MS and some days are impossible but they asked me if I wanted a call appointment.
I hope that helps, good luck.
Barb
debralight
on 7/30/11 9:28 am - Canada
You might think of calling the hospital's patient adovcate and tell them about your issue and see if they can put you back in the schedule and cancel someone local 

Someone posted the name of the bariatric clinic manager here too .. can't remember it. You could call her on tuesday and let her know about your experience. Actually you really should do that if you could . Feedback needs to go to managment for them to make changes. The receptionist, who  passes on the bad message, likely is just doing what she's been told to do, and has no or little say in the process.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Catnip
on 7/30/11 12:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Is there really anything they do that you couldn't have your local doctor do?

Bloodwork, blood pressure, weight?  

Do you follow-ups with HRRH by phone and have your GP do the stuff that needs to be done in person.

As an FYI,  lots of people who had WLS in he states had almost no or no followups.  My GP did mine. 

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

sam1am
on 7/31/11 12:19 am
My GP does all my follow ups as well.  Unless you have any problems, I would just go that route.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

AllieInOntario
on 7/31/11 1:27 am
Ah... health care in the province of Ontario.  Ain't it wonderful?
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Monica M.
on 7/31/11 3:00 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
you should look into doing the follow up by telehealth. A friend of mine does that, and she doesnt live nearly as far as you do. Find out if the hospital near you has telehealth capability, and ask if HRRH can do that for you as well.

Nathalie_Can
on 7/31/11 11:43 am
So sorry to hear that but just FYI in case you didn't know, my surgery is only in September but I have everything ready for TELELCONFERENCE.  After my surgery, I never have to return to HRRH.  Maybe check with your doctor's office if they have the teleconference available, would save you alot of trips.

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Most Active
Recent Topics