5 days postop and following the rules has made all the difference...warning long

bogie
on 9/3/11 4:16 am - Canada
Well I am 5 days postop today and I am thrilled with how good I feel. I am going to try and give you a blow by blow of the last few days so a warning to those who get bored with long posts. I just remember when i was preop and still learning about this process i loved these kinds of posts so I am going to try and return the favour. So here goes.

So yesterday I woke up after a great nights sleep from about 12-830(i had also had a three hr nap in the afternoon and I took some liquid codeine right before bed...I am down to twice a day) during the night I was up about three times to use the potty and I have a protein shake on ice and diluted fruit juice and ice that I sip on each time. I have figured that three good sips is about an oz and I try to have 4oz each time I am up. If I am not too sleepy I take a walk in the hallway before going back to bed. That way through the night I am having between 12-16 oz and at least half of that is protein. BTW before I left the hospital I asked to see the dietician. I had one of the Premier protein shakes from Costco(I got mine from Sams club). I wanted to know if I could use them postop instead of the Carnation Instant Breakfast. She compared the two and said she couldn't see any reason why so that is what I have been drinking. They have 30 gms of protein vs 12 with CIB. 5 carbs vs 13 with CIB. 3 gms fat vs 5.4 with CIB. To me it is a no brainer and that way I am getting 90 gms of protein which my body needs to heal right now.
So then I got up and got dressed for the first time. I took time to do thorough skin care (before surgery I bought some good quality skin care products--I am pretty impressed so far...I will keep you posted...I feel my skin is going to need all the help it can get..I am much older than some of you young chickies and guys out there...If I get good results I might become a consultant...this is going to be a very tough test on the product LOL) The first thing I take is the dissolvable prevacid and 2 stool softeners( I have a tendency to constipation) Then I start my day with a crushed Biotin (it is for skin hair and nails...this is a preemptive strike against hair loss that I started several weeks before surgery...lets hope it works but the temporary hair loss may be inevitable)in 1 Tbsp of SF apple sauce with decaf coffee with 1 tbsp of FF 1/2 and 1/2. I had this little espresso glasses that I thought I would never use but they are perfect since they hold about 2 oz and have sip 4 of them over the next half hour. Then I injected myself with the innohep which is literally painless...I would compare it to a mosquito bite. The needle is very fine and short and sharp. The sharper the needle the less you feel it. I remember when I use to do flu clinics I used one needle to draw up all the shots so the needle used on the patient had never been used. Many of them said they didnt even feel it .I always wash my hands right before giving this injection. In fact wash my hands a lot. I think this is very important to stop the spread of any possible infection. On a separate note I changed the sheets on my bed right before I left for the hospital and took my own pillows with fresh pillowcases and when I got home I changed the cases again. I figure the less germs the better. Then its time for the calcium and vitamin D. I bought the liquid but honestly crushing the pills and having them in apple sauce it just as good. I actually dont like the aftertaste of the liquid. During this whole time I am sipping on my first protein shake on ice and 4oz of plum juice diluted in 8oz of water and ice. Then I went outside for the first time (so hot) and walked to the mail with my hubby...it was only about 150 ft there and then 150 back but it felt good to be outside. Then we went for a drive to run some errands. We have a big truck and was able to get in and out by myself. It has running boards and a handle and I just took my time. I walked around in SDM looking for the Weider mango protein but no luck. Then I want to the video store and picked out 5 movies. Then we took a drive along the Niagara River it was such a beautiful day. By the time we got home I was ready for my nap LOL. So before lying down I crushed my prenatal vitamin in apple sauce and poured another protein shake and more diluted juice on ice. I took some liquid codeine as i was a bit sore from getting in and out of the car and wanted to make sure I could move positions in bed. I also took my first dose of Milk of Magnesia as I still hadnt had a BM even though I have taken stool softeners everyday. I slept soundly from about 3-6 pm. I sipped away on my juice and protein while I chatted on the phone to family and friends giving them an update. I have such a great support system. I then came downstairs and warmed up 8oz of low sodium chicken broth that i sipped out of a 4oz cup and watched Freedom Writers with my hubby...Great movie BTW. I took my second dose of Calcium and vitamin d somewhere during that time. I went to bed at 12 and again took a new protein shake, diluted juice. before bed I took some liquid codeine and my second full dose of Milk of Magnesia. I slept from 12 to 930 getting up about 3 times like the night before. Finally at 6am i had my first BM since surgery. I was so relieved to know that everything is working and that I am not facing constipation. I know I am not suppose to weigh myself until at least a week postop but my curiostiy got the better of me and I am down 3.5 lbs since surgery. I was 5 when I got home from all the IV fluids. I do have a gnawing sensation in my stomach that feels like hunger but I am not going to listen to that since many of the vets have said that you don't really feel hunger since the nerves have been cut and that gnawing is just things healing. This is nothing the hunger you experience before surgery. i remember lying on that gurney when my surgery had been delayed after 2 weeks on optifast and 2 days on clear fluids and NPO since midnight my own arm was looking pretty yummy LOL. I am basing my eating on getting in the required protein, fluid and vitamins. I am trying to give myself the very best chance at healing and avoiding any complications. I have gone through too much to take any chances at messing anything up. I am extremely grateful for the wonderful education that I have received on this site to prepare me for where I am right now. I feel even better today than yesterday. I think I will only take the codeine at night before bed today. I truly believe that part of the reason I am doing so well is that I listened to all the wise council on this board. Getting up and walking ASAP and often....sipping constantly....listening to your body and resting a lot and obeying all the rules. The rules are there to protect us and give us the best outcome. There is nothing wrong with questioning something...for exanmple the premier shake vs Carnation. If something makes sense then definitely run it by the team. Wow this is long LOL
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

Mariann M.
on 9/3/11 4:48 am - Washago , Canada
Congrats to you for doing so well. Sounds like you are doing everything you can to make this tool work for you and that's awesome!! Wishing you the best of luck for the future !!!!!
Megan M.
on 9/3/11 4:55 am - Canada
Sounds like you're doing really well!  If you can't find the Weider, try GNC Whey Kool - the mango peach is really good (the lemonade has a yukky aftertaste).  I think the products are very similar - I love it, and that's how I get most of my protein.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

bogie
on 9/3/11 4:58 am - Canada
Thanks Megan getting pretty sick of the chocolate
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

bogie
on 9/3/11 5:35 am - Canada
Just called my local GNC and they said they stopped carying it about 6 mos ago ;-((
bogie    

sam1am
on 9/3/11 5:00 am
It sounds like you're doing great, Bogie!  I'm with you, I never understand why Carnation Instant Breakfast or Beneprotein are recommended when there are others so much better!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Leslie W.
on 9/3/11 6:25 am - Cobourg, Canada
The carnation is a site specific reccommendation at TWH we use Protein just about any brand that  meets the reccommendations

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Brenda T.
on 9/3/11 6:26 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I appreciate the play by play lol because I am researching and it is nice to know how someone is feeling. Thanks so much for posting, keep up the great work.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

TBIYTC
on 9/3/11 8:32 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
I loved your post - it helps me get ready mentally on what I will be hopefully doing in a couple of months.  Thanks so much!!!!

If I could just suggest one thing, could you break it up in a couple of paragraphs to make it a little bit more readable?

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

bogie
on 9/3/11 11:53 am - Canada
Good suggestions thanks...the happy drugs might still be causing a bit of a fog LOL
bogie    

Most Active
Recent Topics