Q about Low Thyroid Combined with RNY

savasana
on 9/13/11 3:28 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
I attempted to search for this topic and came up with little so I'm hoping some folks with experience can shed some light for me.

During all my tests for surgery it came about that I have hypothyroidism and the bariatric doc put me on meds.  At the time I didn't have a full understanding of what that meant so didn't really have a chance to ask questions.

As I'm researching however I'm finding that it of course affects metabolism and weightloss in a negative way.

My question is how will my low thyroid be affected by surgery?  Will I still have difficulty losing weight even with the new tool?  Is this thyroid issue something that can be improved from surgery or from weight loss in general?  Did my obesity contribute to the development of the issue in the first place?

Any information is greatly appreciated and will help me satiate my curiosity until I next see the doctor.  I have my surgery class in Windsor at the end of October.  Thank you!

Pam
trudylam
on 9/13/11 4:29 am - Sudbury, Canada
Hi Pam.  I have had my thyroid removed and went into this surgery without it.  The only difference you will find is that your doctor is going to want to monitor your bloodwork very often to make sure you are on the right dose of thyroxine/synthroid etc.  Low thyroid will not affect your surgery, you won't have difficulty losing weight because of your thyroid, I don't think it will resolve itself after you lose the weight but I can't tell you for sure because I have no gland at all, and your obesity probably did not contribute to your thyroid issue.  Hypothyroidism in women is rampant and alot of women go through many years before they are diagnosed.  It's really very managable and not dangerous at all with this surgery.  Best of luck to you. :)  You'll be fine. :)

Trudy.
Heidi S.
on 9/13/11 4:34 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Trudy,
Thank you so much for responding to Pam's question. I like Pam have been search for an answer. This has set my mind at ease.
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Catw
on 9/13/11 4:31 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hi Pam,

I also have hypothyroidism.  Thyroid does affect different things like metabalism and your mood.  I was diagnosed in college (my Mom and Grandmother have thyroid issues too) and I was already overweight, it wasn't the cause of my weight gain.  It was genetics and bad habits that caused that ;0)  Does obesity contribute to thyroid issues, I doubt you'll get a straight answer anywhere on that.  Between genetics, BPA, and other contributors, who knows.

I am on 0.112 mg of eltroxin (synthetic thyroid medication).  As long as your thyroid is stable (you are on your correct dosage), it shouldn''t affect your weight loss.  I have lost almost 70 lbs since I started Optifast in June.  I had bloodwork on my last check up (including thyroid), and they didn't call me to lower the dosage so I'm not off of it yet.  Will I be lowered later on?  I don't know.

Cathy

Heidi S.
on 9/13/11 4:33 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Pam, thank you so much for posting this question. I too have been trying to find ths answer.
All the best to you on your journey
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

magpie4495
on 9/13/11 4:40 am - Canada
Hi Pam,
I'm also hypo and haven't been able to find out much info.  If I come across anything will share.
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

smiley_k
on 9/13/11 4:51 am
Hi Pam,

I also have hypothyroidism and am in a similar situation to Trudy, so I cannot comment on whether or not your medication will effect you. I was told however, that your thyroid medication is based on weight and as I loose weight my dosage will change. Again, this is another reason for vigilance in having your bloodwork done. Hope this helps.

Katie  ♥     

Sheritk
on 9/13/11 6:00 am - Canada
 Hi, I have hypothyroidism....you will be fine. I was worried about it too before surgery. You will have to watch it closely as your medication may need to be adjusted along the way. I have been taking medication for this for years and will always have to take it but levels can change after surgery. I was worried I would have a hard time losing but that wasn't the case for me. I hope this helps put your mind at ease...remember to work with your doctor and get regular blood work done. Best wishes on your journey....

Sheri
  Cheryl M is my   aka...chermull6

pedlsanCAN
on 9/13/11 7:30 am - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 09/04/12
Thanks for the info ladies!  Another hypo here so this question and the responses are appreciated.  Sandy P.

savasana
on 9/13/11 8:20 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
Thank you so much for the input ladies!

This definitely puts my mind at ease.  I love this site!
Most Active
Recent Topics